HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Two VTF3s on both sides of couch?

I have two VTF3s in my home theater in my basement, one next to my couch endtable style, and another one in a corner. I'm thinking of moving the corner one to the other side of the couch, endtable style, so it is flanked on both sides by the VTF3s with both woofers facing in toward the couch. I am assuming if I do that I would get the best results by running them in opposite phase. But before I decide to try to move them, what can I expect with regards to a performance change? Do you guys think it would be worth it? I hate to lose the corner loaded gain, but I think I can get a more even directionality plus harder midbass if I have them on both sides of the couch. I would love to just get another VTF3 to do this and leave the corner loaded one alone, but another subwoofer is not in the budget anytime soon.
Old September 27th, 2010, 3:43 PM

kswanson is on a distinguished road
I have two VTFII Mk3's, one at each end of my couch and they work great. One is a bit corner loaded and the other is open to another room. Not sure why you would think opposite phase is the way to go.
Old September 27th, 2010, 5:09 PM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
You will gain a lot of impact that way...
I have personally tried it, and it works excellent!
I say just do it man!
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi shadyJ,

Could you share a rough sketch of your room (including listening position relative to front/side/back walls, and openings to other areas)?

Having the VTF-3 MK3's as endtables on each side of the couch (with woofers firing into the couch) will make for incredible mid-bass impact, no question about that! No harm in trying that.

Sincerely,
Old September 28th, 2010, 6:34 AM

I don't know of any way of saving a sketch to the web, so I'll try to be descriptive. My home theater room is about 14' X 30' X 7.5' and has a opening to a stairway in the back. Two of the walls and the floor is concrete, as it is in the basement. The couch is in the middle of the room, facing the 14' wall which is mostly covered with a fixed projection screen. Between the right side of the couch and the wall is one VTF3, and the right side front corner of the room is the other one.

That description is probably a bit convoluted I'm sure, hopefully you can make out what is going on. I'll experiment a bit with placement later in the week when I get a good chunk of free time. I hate to lose the corner gain though, the sub is in a concrete corner and it does sound great there. We'll see how it goes. I wish I had money for another sub, but that is definitely not in the cards at the moment.
Old September 28th, 2010, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswanson View Post
I have two VTFII Mk3's, one at each end of my couch and they work great. One is a bit corner loaded and the other is open to another room. Not sure why you would think opposite phase is the way to go.
I think opposite phase would be the best because the drivers will be facing each other directly. I'm guessing that running them in the same phase would cause some cancellation issues. I'll try different things though, to see what works.
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hsu Research

Are you in the direct center of the room (ie. ~ 15 feet away from the front wall)? If so, try to avoid sitting there or placing anything in the center of the room

Let us know how it goes when you experiment with placement. If you have some way of taking measurements as you go, that will be very helpful too.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 6:22 PM

kswanson is on a distinguished road
Big diference here. The VTF Mk2's are down firing and the Mk3's are side firing.
Old October 17th, 2010, 4:55 AM

Irrob is on a distinguished road
I have VTF 2 subs as end tables, and the results are very impressive. But I have a third sub corner loaded so I am getting even more teeth rattling bass.
Attached Images

Old October 17th, 2010, 1:57 PM

Very nice! I finally moved my other VTF3 to the side of the couch, but I haven't used it there yet, because I had to send my projector in for repairs. I also got a nice deal for two Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EXs which I will pick up tomorrow, and I am going to put those in the front corners so I don't lose that corner gain. When I have everything set up, I will have MASSIVE bass in my room, and evenly distributed. I can not wait to get those LFMs in here. Two VTF3s is already more than I need, adding the LFM-1 EXs will be like having four VTF3s in a medium sized room!
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Got the Outlaw subs, and everything is wired and in place. Sadly, however, my projector is RMA'd out for the time being and I don't have a OSD with which to configure my receiver's bass settings, so I can't really dial all the subs in right now. I did play some stuff, and it is a absolutely massive sound so far, although it definitely needs some tweaking. Played back some drum'n'bass tracks, and you can feel the kick drum hitting your chest, almost like its trying to knock you over! This system is so over-the-top for this room I can't help but to laugh. When the bassline kicks in it buzzes my entire body. I have got to get a SPL meter in here!
Old October 18th, 2010, 8:31 PM
Hsu Research

Nice job shadyJ, four subs must make for a truly incredible experience!