HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 21st, 2013, 7:56 AM

jmac2000 is on a distinguished road
Please help me cure my Upgrade-itis!

Here's the deal: I currently have an STF-2 in my home theater which is approx. 12x18x9ft. I'm extremely happy with the extension and volume of the STF-2 but I feel like the frequency response could be better. As you can see on the attached .bmp I'm very limited on sub placement options (really only 1 corner is available). Couch #2 is almost always in a null regardless of sub placed in X, Y, or Z. Likewise, couch #1 gets blasted with LFE regardless of placement. I should mention the AVR is a Denon 2112.

So, would adding a 2nd STF-2 to this setup even-out the frequency response across the seating area? What about adding an MBM-12 to the mix?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jamus
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2013, 8:34 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
For the best frequency response, I would just get another STF2 and place it in a location where it smooths out the FR the most. You will have to measure the FR's of different placements to be sure what sounds best. Also remember, peaks can be EQ'd out, but nulls have to be dealt with by placement, so take the placements that produce peaks rather than nulls. If you went for a MBM, I think it would overpower the STF2, but it would still be pretty fun. I wouldn't want to try to have the STF2 try to play catch u with the MBM-12 though.
Old May 21st, 2013, 9:04 AM

Good info, thanks Shady!

One other option I forgot to mention is I will eventually need a sub for a 2.1 music only system in a smaller listening room. I can imagine using the existing STF-2 in that system. I say this because perhaps there is a single HSU sub that might alone produce a more smooth room response in the theater? Otherwise, I might need 3 STF-2's between the two rooms.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM

No single sub is going to do better with your room response. However, if your frequency response dips aren't too bad a more powerful sub can be EQ'd down to a flatter response. Here is one suggestion: that table at the intersection of the two couches, could you simply replace it with something like a VTF3? A VTF3 there might be able to get a very decent and powerful bass sound to both couches, and is about the size of an endtable anyway. A VTF2 may work there as well. Anyway, before you tried that, I would try the STF2 there to see what kind of response you get at both couches, it might be better than your available positions.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
that table at the intersection of the two couches, could you simply replace it with something like a VTF3?
unfortunately me thinks the boss (wife) will veto that option

I just re-ran Audyssey because I moved my center channel speaker and I realized it trims the sub to -11.5db. Should I adjust the gain on the sub and rerun Audyssey to try to get that closer to 0db or as long as it's not -12db am I good?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 2:46 PM

Sound like you need to bring the sub's gain knob down. I would bring it down to 1/4 volume or maybe 1/3.