HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Abyss is on a distinguished road
Received VTF3-MKII yesterday...

Id like to make a brief comment/review on my new purchase, maybe this will help some lese who is teetering on their decision. Id first like to preface this with the fact that I have demoed many subs both in shop as well as in home. I had recently been able to hear a REL Studio III & Stentor III, this was what I wanted, they had the exact tone/sound/punch I was looking for but I was not about to spend that much cash on a sub. I knew what they cost before I listened but I needed to hear if they lived up to the hype. So now what do I do? Def Tech, only good on paper, Sunfire & Earthquake, nope, didnt like the sound and for the last 2 years I have managed to live with (barely) a Velodyne CHT12 until I could find a replacement. Yes a CHT12, life has a way of making us settle for things. The good side is I never had time to listen to my system until these past few months, so the pain was only brief. My home theater is in an old home with concrete/tile floors and real plaster walls and ceilings, 13x18x8 with two large entrance ways.

With all the reviews I have read on Hsu I decided to look into purchasing one. No, I have not tried SVS. Thanks to all the things of I have followed and observed about SVS, it was clear to me to go with Hsu. So I took a leap of faith and my VTF3-MKII arrived yesterday. I immediately threw in my calibration disc and got everything set on my parametric and I was in business. Then onto Pearl Harbor, War of the Worlds, U-571, Finding Nemo, etc I was impressed with the tightness of the sub from the first explosion in Pearl Harbor to the Darla tap scene in Finding Nemo which took on a whole new feel. Yes I was happy but not quite giddy, so now was the true test, music. I figured Id slap the VTF3-MKII down with Genesis - Trick of the Tale, digital master. Now I was giddy, the moog pedals from Dance on a Volcano threw me aback! Before I could recover I entered track 3, Squonk. Now I was a giddy as school girl, lol. This is as close to a REL as I have heard at about 4k cheaper. Dont get me wrong, the REL still walks above this but damn, Im highly impressed and will probably grab another VTF3-MKII just because I can with all the cash leftover, lol. This sub definitely lives up to the hype and numbers. I have never called Hsu or talked to their techs but I am sure they will live up to those reviews as well.
Old January 24th, 2006, 2:41 PM

Kjohn is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Congradulation on your purchase I own two VTF-3 MKII's and can safely say you have just begun to see what they can do they are a fantastic product and worth way more than the asking price with two you will be out of your mind in appreciation of what they are capable of doing ENJOY!!
Old January 24th, 2006, 4:57 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Thank you so very much, Abyss. It feels really good to see people enjoying their products! We have always believed in providing as best a value as we can and in providing the most that we can for the money.

Take care, thank you again, and welcome to the forum!

Sincerely,
Old February 16th, 2006, 9:07 AM

whmayfield is on a distinguished road
Abyss, I am shopping for a high value, low cost parametric EQ. What do you use and any suggestions? Thanks for posting your impressions on the VTF-3MKII, can't wait for the HO to ship.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM

joeongaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmayfield
Abyss, I am shopping for a high value, low cost parametric EQ. What do you use and any suggestions? Thanks for posting your impressions on the VTF-3MKII, can't wait for the HO to ship.
i'd recommend the velodyne sms-1. hsu won't have anything out for at least a year or so. i've heard the BFD does impact the signal in a negative way. how much i couldn't say. i personally have the sms-1 and think it is an amazingly versatile tool in tuning your sub to your entire system.