HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 11th, 2005, 6:09 PM

tohow
Auto EQ Subs

Hi,

I have been a happy owner of the VTF-2 and currently the STF-2. I have used them both with Magnepans for HT and music. I would tell anyone to buy either as they are a good value and very good musically.

My question is realted to all this "auto EQ" I see coming out in subs, (Sunfire, Velodyne, etc). I would think this holds value as the setup is no longer left to one's ears, hopefully creating a better integration when done.

What is HSU's take on auto EQ? Do you have plans on doing this? Do you think it holds value?

Thanks
Old December 11th, 2005, 6:16 PM

Macdog is on a distinguished road
I'd love to see this too, or an external one that can be used with existing subs without it.
Old December 11th, 2005, 6:43 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Great question, tohow,

I think that some of those systems have both manual and automatic eq modes. Seems fine to me.

We are working on some DSP-equipped models, but I cannot speak in any detail yet, my apologies Stay tuned, my friends.

Sincerely,
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM

JimLely is on a distinguished road
Why not buy a parametric equalizer and Infinity's RABOS system (but not their subs) and then you can do your own sub EQ on any sub. This is what I have done and it works great -- one-tenth octave precision.

Regards,

Jim
Old December 12th, 2005, 6:30 PM

Macdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely
Why not buy a parametric equalizer and Infinity's RABOS system (but not their subs) and then you can do your own sub EQ on any sub. This is what I have done and it works great -- one-tenth octave precision.

Regards,

Jim
I've read some about this. Who sells them, and how much does it cost? I'm currently using a BFD which works fine, but it'd be nice to have a unit that is less invovled to set up and maybe gives you choices of different eqs settings. I'd also like to thin a Hsu designed one would have a good feature set and a great price.
Old December 12th, 2005, 7:21 PM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Great question, tohow,

I think that some of those systems have both manual and automatic eq modes. Seems fine to me.

We are working on some DSP-equipped models, but I cannot speak in any detail yet, my apologies Stay tuned, my friends.

Sincerely,
I'm sure you've considered it, but I just wanted to say that the key word is here is....."upgrades"

I'm tuned....
Old December 14th, 2005, 9:29 AM

JimLely is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdog
I've read some about this. Who sells them, and how much does it cost? I'm currently using a BFD which works fine, but it'd be nice to have a unit that is less invovled to set up and maybe gives you choices of different eqs settings. I'd also like to thin a Hsu designed one would have a good feature set and a great price.
Please see: http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...pers/rabos.pdf
Old December 14th, 2005, 9:52 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
RABOS works in conjunction with a parametric EQ. It is a basicly a set of test tones, a measuring device, and a template/worksheet.

In itself, it does not EQ a sub....it is just a tool to help you EQ a sub......you still need a capable para EQ.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM

whmayfield is on a distinguished road
What would be a good example of a low-cost, high-value para EQ?
Old February 16th, 2006, 1:23 PM

jmprader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmayfield
What would be a good example of a low-cost, high-value para EQ?
For a sub, try a Behringer 2496 ($150 street). Eq requires Room Equalizer Wizard (great free software) or ETF/RTF or other similar software, a PC/laptop with an appropriate soundcard ($35) and either a Radio Shack sound level meter ($50 or less used) or Behringer ECM-8000 mic (or other good quality mic with calibrated performance, probably about $100 total).

Read up on hints/how to's/and real world results at Sonny Parker's site for the BFD, AVS or on John Mulcahy's site (the REW guy).

There is a learning curve, it's not a simple consumer solution. Faster is the consumer friendly Velodyne SMS-1, about 3x the overall cost but less frustration for many.
Old February 16th, 2006, 8:32 PM

I checked out Sonny's site. That is great. Only thing is I don't see anything yet about what an appropriate soundcard entails. What requirements need to be satisfied or what is an example of a soundcard that meets the requirements? Or, a link would be good. I am guessing I just have not found the info on Sonny's site but it is probably there. Thanks!
Old February 17th, 2006, 5:02 AM

Ok, I found out about the soundcard. Duplex capability with a line in. The mic input is not suitable. Thanks again!