HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM

Charles is on a distinguished road
Red face Advice on HSU with Onkyo HT-S780

Hello,

I just bought the Onkyo HT-S780 7.1 channel system and the surround speakers are ok and the sub seems a little wimpy for 230w. How much of an upgrade would the VTF-3 mk 2 be. Would it blow me away? After shipping I just have $361 in this system and it is ok but does not make me say WOW!.

If the VTF-3 would be $699 worth of an upgrade, would the $199 VT-12s (I would need 2 extra for 7.1) be worth adding as well?

I am pretty ignorant about audiophile type stuff but I do know what sounds good and what I have now is pretty decent at $361. I would not want to spend over $1,000 on just a moderate upgrade.

Thanks for your time,

Ignorant Tightwad.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM

AdilM is on a distinguished road
The Onkyo is an excellent entry level system for the money.

However, the HSU sub blows the Onkyo sub away. They are not in the same category. The HSU VTF3 is much larger.
IMO, the Vent 12 (6.1) speakers are superior as well. If you decide to go down this path and can return the Onkyo, you will be better off upgrading to a 503 or 602/3 w/ that price.

This newer system will be a step and a half above the older one + you will save a $100 on the HSU Vents.

Best,
Adil
Old January 23rd, 2006, 1:29 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
The STF-2 would even be a huge improvement over the Onkyo sub.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 3:45 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
If you get a VTF-3 you will run over and kick the Onkyo in the side for pretending to be a real sub. The VTF-3 is a HUGE step up from the Onkyo sub. The VTF-3 is a Porche compared to the Onkyo which is more like a Saturn. The difference will be that big.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM

Bill Odom is on a distinguished road
Having never owned a sub before,but hearing all the hype about subwoofers, I decided to listen to as many as I could. Took my wife with me,we spent numeous days checking out all the local Audio stores.We both came away unimpressed. Some of these sub cost almost 2 thousand bucks.Still I knew there had to be something more than what I had listened to. Started reading all the forums dealing with subs. What I came away with was I was going to buy the VTF 3 mk II.When it showed up and I listened to it, both me and the wife thought,Oh my god! Both of us thought we should have bought smaller. Now that we've had a few months , and countless movies,we're glad we bought big.I used to turn the sub off while listening to music, now it doesn't sound right without it
I have a couple friends who own subs.Both, after hearing the VTF 3 mk II,complain that something is wrong with there subs.Theres nothing wrong with them,it's just that HSU subs have everything right.
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:56 AM

chucklee is on a distinguished road
Not much to add that hasn't already been mentioned, except for the fact that I am a Hsu owner (TN1220 and VTF3), and recently helped a friend set up his Onkyo HTS780, and thought I was going to break his sub with the demo material I brought, even at moderate levels. It is the one component in his set-up that, for me, must be replaced to truly enjoy listening.
Old January 24th, 2006, 9:29 AM

That much of an upgrade you say?

Thank you for all the imput guys. It sounds like it may be worth investing in the big boy. If I go with the V12s maybe I can pick up a couple of extra somewhere so I can get the full 7.1 and I can ebay all the speakers from the HT-s780 system to get a few of the $s back.

From what I have heard the Onkyo HT-R530 that came with the 780 system is good and it provides 110w per channel. I am not sure of the return policy and the shipping I would pay trying to get the system back.

Oh yeah, (I am pretty sure I will sound like a clodd on this one but) I have put my ear up to the back channels on some of the surround systems and there is like a high piched squiggly noise. What is that?

Thanks again for your advice!
Old January 24th, 2006, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilM
The Onkyo is an excellent entry level system for the money.

However, the HSU sub blows the Onkyo sub away. They are not in the same category. The HSU VTF3 is much larger.
IMO, the Vent 12 (6.1) speakers are superior as well. If you decide to go down this path and can return the Onkyo, you will be better off upgrading to a 503 or 602/3 w/ that price.

This newer system will be a step and a half above the older one + you will save a $100 on the HSU Vents.

Best,
Adil
You said I could upgrade to a 503 or 602. Is the 503 and 602 an upgrade on the R530? I thought since it had 110 watts as compared to the 75 and 85w on the 503 and 602, the 530 was the better recvr. Like I said, you are talking to some one who does not know much about this stuff. Thanks again.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM

AdilM is on a distinguished road
I am almost positive it is equivalent to the Onkyo TXSR503.
It has been like this w/ Onkyo products going on 3 years.
Generally on HTIBs they measure the wattage at 1 KHZ resulting in larger specs for the tagline.

The 503/530 may be all you need.
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM

High Pass Filter?

Thanks. You guys are great. When I went to see how much the order would be with shipping the site recommended a $100 High Pass filter. Is this necessary and if so does that is it still necessary if I am getting the V-12s?

I thought that was the point of the Ventriloquist system, it kept the bass in check for the front left and right.

When ordering it has all the Crossover 1 & 2 Selections. If this is a must have, what should be picked on the Crossover selections.

Let me know if you guys are tired of my questions. I try to be informed if I am going to spend this kind of money.
Old January 25th, 2006, 4:09 AM

chucklee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles

Let me know if you guys are tired of my questions. I try to be informed if I am going to spend this kind of money.
Never... I also regularly wear out my keyboard while gleaning information about new audio purchases... and it always seems that I miss something, but not for a lack of trying.

Keep asking, and if you find someone who gets edgy about it, it probably will not be on this forum...
Old January 25th, 2006, 5:26 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When I went to see how much the order would be with shipping the site recommended a $100 High Pass filter. Is this necessary and if so does that is it still necessary if I am getting the V-12s?
You do not need the high pass filter when using a receiver with bass managment built in.
Old January 25th, 2006, 6:11 AM

whmayfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Thanks. You guys are great. When I went to see how much the order would be with shipping the site recommended a $100 High Pass filter. Is this necessary and if so does that is it still necessary if I am getting the V-12s?

I thought that was the point of the Ventriloquist system, it kept the bass in check for the front left and right.

When ordering it has all the Crossover 1 & 2 Selections. If this is a must have, what should be picked on the Crossover selections.

-------------------
The best way to get clarification is to call HSU and give them the model number of your receiver and ask them what the crossover setting should be on the receiver. I think all 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 Onkyo's have this capability. But, the best advice will be given by Hsu once they ask you a few questions. With the VT-12's I think the setting will be 80Hz since that is the lower range for those speakers. Hsu will have a working knowledge though, unlike me.
Old January 25th, 2006, 6:25 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
Even the Onkyo receiver that comes with HTIB has built in bass managment.

From the Hsu product page about the highpass filter,

Use in a stereo-only system to keep the bass out of the left and right channels