HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 419 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2011, 6:37 PM

serge71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin View Post
Yes. Without yet calibrating with Audyssey, I've tried it in Max SPL and Max extension.

I played the Inception chair dunk scene, War of The World machine rises scene and the Master and Commander First attack(cannon intensive) scene. I think I had the sub at 9:30 volume and the AVR at -20. Oh, and the Kung Fu Panda skadoosh scene.

The sub is crazy. Freaking crazy. Cupboard doors were rattling. Dishes were rattling. My gas fireplace was rattling. My chair was shaking and my buddy said it feels like an earthquake. Then I played the low frequency CD. I never knew an organ could punch you in the gut. But this all makes things complicated.

My wife is not going to like this I think. I was trying to get her used to the idea with our old sub turned up in the past couple of weeks but when she gets home I gotta have it turned WAY down I think.

What an amazing sub. Best purchase ever.
And the volume at 9;30 only!?....just like mine!..if i get the volume up just to 10 o'clock the sub is to powerfull.....happy you like it runnin!!...but some non owners know better then us apparently...
Old February 21st, 2011, 6:42 PM

And what i mean by too powerfull is that i mean it will get like in Inception...all the walls will fall on me........that is a single vth-15h in a 3000cuft room...but i want a second one....the experience is to much!!!....
Old February 21st, 2011, 6:44 PM

Btw runnin once the break in is done this sub sounds like no other!....it sounds just better the more it plays!!!.....
Old February 21st, 2011, 7:41 PM

runnin is on a distinguished road
One thing I noticed is that the black finish is pretty nice. It's nicer in person than on the VTF-15H page, it almost looks grey there. And the grill is darker too, I'm not sure why the pics on the VTF-15 look so light.

But I'm really impressed with this sub. I can't get over the organ, man it just picks you up and shakes you silly.
Old February 21st, 2011, 7:57 PM

rwjr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One thing I noticed is that the black finish is pretty nice. It's nicer in person than on the VTF-15H page, it almost looks grey there. And the grill is darker too, I'm not sure why the pics on the VTF-15 look so light.
I posted when I first got mine and provided pictures that actually showed the true colors:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=61242
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM

Nice photos, it's big beautiful beast, ain't it?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 8:40 AM

Sepen is on a distinguished road
That box size is ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjr View Post
I posted when I first got mine and provided pictures that actually showed the true colors:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=61242
Old February 22nd, 2011, 9:00 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
HHAHAHAHH
So runnin.... it lacks low end output? HAHAHHAAH
Old February 22nd, 2011, 9:02 AM

According to Paul, we were all fooled, tricked and duped into purchasing it. I bought it AFTER the reviews.

Quote:
Nice photos, it's big beautiful beast, ain't it?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM

Did you try running REW to see your responses? thanks

Quote:

But I'm really impressed with this sub. I can't get over the organ, man it just picks you up and shakes you silly.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 1:52 PM

I don't have REW, but after I run Audyssey I'll find out if it runs on Mac.

And I bought mine a couple of days before the re-review. I could tell by his writing that he had personal distaste for the sub, so his findings were not trustworthy. I got more out of the basement shoot out than the AH shoot out. And now I am so glad I made the call.

Last edited by runnin : February 22nd, 2011 at 5:15 PM.
Old February 24th, 2011, 4:14 AM

Well, Fedex was supposed to deliver mine tomorrow but it shows as on the truck out for delivery today. Sucks, I will be at work all day. Hopefully my son can stay awake and take delivery. I was off tomorrow.
Old February 24th, 2011, 7:00 AM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
That's a bit annoying. Making plans to be at home and it comes early. The plus side is that if your son can accept it then you have all tomorrow to play with it.
Old February 24th, 2011, 7:19 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
When mine shipped it showed a delivery day of Tuesday. Then about 2 hours later it showed showed Wednesday and I was like what the $%^&. Then the Monday before delivery it went back to Tuesday and it actually did arrive on Tuesday.

Old February 24th, 2011, 7:53 AM

Enthused is on a distinguished road
Mine showed Thursday the entire time it was in transit until the Tuesday before when it got switched to Wednesday. I was all excited Wednesday evening when it was still "out for delivery" when I got home from work. Later that evening they added a delivery exception due to weather and switched it back to Thursday.

I drove an hour round trip to pick it up Wednesday night. What can I say?...I'm impatient.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM

My 2nd 15H should be shipped today. Watching the Fedex tracker is fun.
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
Cant wait for you buddy!....2 will be crazy from what i hear from a single one.......ill be ordering a second one soon.....
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Why? Oh why? Two of these monsters? I have one in a 3700 cu ft room, (finally got the tape out and measured accurately)

I got home a tad early today ( ) and got a chance to unpack and hook up my VTF-15. I really haven't gotten the chance to listen to much but here is a couple of notes.

First column is Running rew with 2 ports open eq2 q5, 2nd 1 port open eq2 q5, this is with a reset Onkyo 707, no aydessey no eq'ing, mic set at my main listening seat, 14 ft. Obviously in room. I am going to test my modes to see what looks best in my room, and sounds best. Then i am going to run Aydessey, then eq it with a FBQ2496.

I am very impressed with the fit and finish, excellent packing. And I really don't think it is huge as some say. It is smaller than my ported IXL 18.2.2. Also at -20db it really shakes the room. Now back to watching and listening.

I am going to rew all the modes tomorrow morning and give them all a good listening for the weekend before I decide what I like best.

10hz 55.7 64.2
15hz 72.7 74.2
20hz 81.2 79.7
30hz 83.1 81.6
40hz 95.3 99.2
50hz 89 93.1
60hz 93.8 93.4
70hz 87.9 86.8
Old February 24th, 2011, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge71 View Post
Cant wait for you buddy!....2 will be crazy from what i hear from a single one.......ill be ordering a second one soon.....
Thanks man.

Far field was giving me good numbers DBwise from 15hz+ but needed a bunch of EQing to get it flatter.

I was playing with placement and I moved my 15H to a near field position which gave me a damn good response from 22hz+ (really flat). However, I also took a big hit south of 22hz,(think of a diving off a cliff). lol.
Since my room is 4500 cu ft another sub was required for my taste. This should allow me to get what I want with little EQing.

I have no complaints at all about this sub, while it doesn't post the big DB numbers of some subs (see some of the reviews) it's not weak as a HT sub.
GP numbers are not the same as "in your room" response. GP numbers are interesting but I know for a fact i'm getting good response below 20hz and lower which the GP tests didn't show. The sad thing about the GP review is that some folks will look at it and think the 15H won't go lower than 25hz and may pass it by when in reality it does and could be just the ticket for them.

but I digress,
Bring on my 2nd sub

Jim
Old February 24th, 2011, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post
Why? Oh why? Two of these monsters? I have one in a 3700 cu ft room, (finally got the tape out and measured accurately)

I got home a tad early today ( ) and got a chance to unpack and hook up my VTF-15. I really haven't gotten the chance to listen to much but here is a couple of notes.

First column is Running rew with 2 ports open eq2 q5, 2nd 1 port open eq2 q5, this is with a reset Onkyo 707, no aydessey no eq'ing, mic set at my main listening seat, 14 ft. Obviously in room. I am going to test my modes to see what looks best in my room, and sounds best. Then i am going to run Aydessey, then eq it with a FBQ2496.

I am very impressed with the fit and finish, excellent packing. And I really don't think it is huge as some say. It is smaller than my ported IXL 18.2.2. Also at -20db it really shakes the room. Now back to watching and listening.

I am going to rew all the modes tomorrow morning and give them all a good listening for the weekend before I decide what I like best.

10hz 55.7 64.2
15hz 72.7 74.2
20hz 81.2 79.7
30hz 83.1 81.6
40hz 95.3 99.2
50hz 89 93.1
60hz 93.8 93.4
70hz 87.9 86.8
Good stuff man.
My room is a bit bigger than yours and I wanted to get a more even response with minimal EQing.

I believe you should eq it first then run aud. (iirc)

Please post your numbers after if you don't mind. I'd love to see them.
Old February 24th, 2011, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks man.

Far field was giving me good numbers DBwise from 15hz+ but needed a bunch of EQing to get it flatter.

I was playing with placement and I moved my 15H to a near field position which gave me a damn good response from 22hz+ (really flat). However, I also took a big hit south of 22hz,(think of a diving off a cliff). lol.
Since my room is 4500 cu ft another sub was required for my taste. This should allow me to get what I want with little EQing.

I have no complaints at all about this sub, while it doesn't post the big DB numbers of some subs (see some of the reviews) it's not weak as a HT sub.
GP numbers are not the same as "in your room" response. GP numbers are interesting but I know for a fact i'm getting good response below 20hz and lower which the GP tests didn't show. The sad thing about the GP review is that some folks will look at it and think the 15H won't go lower than 25hz and may pass it by when in reality it does and could be just the ticket for them.

but I digress,
Bring on my 2nd sub

Jim
like i told you over at avs Sepen..i would wait for the beak in because it makes a huge difference...especailly for numbers...
Old February 24th, 2011, 4:35 PM

Yay, it's been shipped with an eta of Thurs next week.
Old February 24th, 2011, 7:18 PM

I just posted this over at AVS,

I just had the VTF 15 delivered today. Have been playing with it a bit and sat back and watched a movie with it tonight, Unstoppable. Not the greatest movie nor does it have the best bass that I have heard but I was stunned at what the VTF put out at -25db.

Granted that my 40-60hz range is really hot due to not eq'ing anything yet, but I was left speechless in some scenes. It easily destroys the HSU 3.3 (sorry HSU) I had, along with the MFW's I have, and so far the IXL 18.2.2 (I ran those same scenes with it afterwards) that I currently use. It goes from a silent and lovely looking large flower to a loud and menacing fat bully in a heartbeat.

I ran it in 2 ported mode, eq 2 q5. I am quite sure that it is not the greatest thing out there, but I really, really was taken aback. I was very surprised, I swear my eyebrows were flapping. I can't imagine some of you running any sub or system for that matter at or near reference. And with anything that comes out of my mouth, it is IMHO. So far I am a happy camper and I wish everyone a Happy Bass Night. Regards.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Sam, I really can't thank you enough for this! Send us some pics when you get a chance.

Take care, and enjoy!

Sincerely,
Old February 25th, 2011, 4:56 AM

ink4n3 is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone, I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I've been lurking around the AVS Forums over the last few weeks trying to find a new sub that would fit me well. I settled on the VTF-15H and ordered it last Sunday. It is scheduled to be delivered on Monday and I can't wait.

I also wanted to say I am very impressed with the level of professionalism that Pete and Hsu have used to handle the whole AH review. I didn't read the review myself but have been reading over all of that banter at the AVS forums. I don't really care what the numbers say and decided this was the sub was the perfect fit for me.

I can't wait until Monday!
Old February 25th, 2011, 5:02 AM

Pete,

Anyone who implies that the VTF-15 is not suitable for HT is on what Charlie Sheen is on. (poor Charlie) The dynamics of the sub are hard to put into words, really, it goes from just sitting there looking pretty to earth shaking in a second.
You, the boys from the sub shootout (AVS) and Brent were all spot on. This can and will deliver the goods, in spades. If anyone is on the fence and wants to listen to it, PM me, I am in the Rochester NY burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
Sam, I really can't thank you enough for this! Send us some pics when you get a chance.

Take care, and enjoy!

Sincerely,
Old February 25th, 2011, 7:15 AM
Ask for a demo

Sepen that's why I laugh when I read the AH stuff. The sub easily plays below 22Hz even with 2 ports open and it moves so much air the whole house shakes. Not suitable for HT my a$$. The guy must have been on something.

Old February 25th, 2011, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink4n3 View Post
Hey everyone, I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I've been lurking around the AVS Forums over the last few weeks trying to find a new sub that would fit me well. I settled on the VTF-15H and ordered it last Sunday. It is scheduled to be delivered on Monday and I can't wait.

I also wanted to say I am very impressed with the level of professionalism that Pete and Hsu have used to handle the whole AH review. I didn't read the review myself but have been reading over all of that banter at the AVS forums. I don't really care what the numbers say and decided this was the sub was the perfect fit for me.

I can't wait until Monday!
congrats man!

You are going to love that sub!
Your wife will not like it much, I am afraid.
Old February 25th, 2011, 9:10 AM

ink4n3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post
congrats man!

You are going to love that sub!
Your wife will not like it much, I am afraid.
Ah, she's only my girlfriend right now so she got zero say! I don't think she's too happy about all the home theater equipment that is now in the living room, but she'll live.
Old February 27th, 2011, 7:35 AM

Whiper101 is on a distinguished road
These subs rock. I've had mine since late Nov. and I have no regrets. I only have them set to 8:30 and my AVR sub level is at -4. I have 5100^3ft to fill plus an open stairway to upstairs. Trust me, there are plenty of things shaking, including my chest and teeth. Booth ports open, EQ2 and Q=.5.
Attached Images

Old February 28th, 2011, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
Sepen that's why I laugh when I read the AH stuff. The sub easily plays below 22Hz even with 2 ports open and it moves so much air the whole house shakes. Not suitable for HT my a$$. The guy must have been on something.
I think it's related to the GP testing. If I place my sub nearfield which in my room is opened to a wet bar, a workout area and stairs up. I get a steep drop at 22hz. (no room gain) So i'd have to say the AH numbers reflect what i'm seeing in my room.

However, when I place it farfield (front corner loaded) it goes to ~15hz easily. (room gain)

While GP is good for comparing subs it doesn't tell the whole story. People that rely solely on GP results are missing the bigger picture IMHO.
What i'm saying is, based solely on the GP I might have gone a different route. My in room numbers don't reflect GP at all.

I like mine enough I bought the company,,,errm I mean I bought another sub lol (you have to be old enough to remember the old tv ad to get the joke)

Jim
Old February 28th, 2011, 1:24 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
I think it's related to the GP testing. If I place my sub nearfield which in my room is opened to a wet bar, a workout area and stairs up. I get a steep drop at 22hz. (no room gain) So i'd have to say the AH numbers reflect what i'm seeing in my room.

However, when I place it farfield (front corner loaded) it goes to ~15hz easily. (room gain)

While GP is good for comparing subs it doesn't tell the whole story. People that rely solely on GP results are missing the bigger picture IMHO.
What i'm saying is, based solely on the GP I might have gone a different route. My in room numbers don't reflect GP at all.

I like mine enough I bought the company,,,errm I mean I bought another sub lol (you have to be old enough to remember the old tv ad to get the joke)

Jim
I've had mine near field and far field in the front left corner. Measured with the SMS-1 and BFD I don't get a steep drop off in either location. Measured with the BFD I'm flat to 11Hz with mine(1 port open, EQ1, Q=0.7) and 15Hz(2 ports open, EQ2, Q=0.7).

I'm not convinced about the AH GP measurements. The reviewer posted a rant and personal attack against Dr. Hsu, so I wonder if he had an ax to grind when reviewing the sub.

Old February 28th, 2011, 2:07 PM

Every room is different. In the front of the room I am good to about 15hz with 2 ports open eq2 q5 and I am 20db more at 40-60hz than at 20hz. If I put it in the rear of the room, I have a steep dropoff starting at around 22, and have good output to 19hz but am only 11db more at 40-60hz than at 20hz. I am still tinkering with it. Even ran it alongside one of my MFW-15s. The output was ridiculous. But it is so much better than the MFW it is not even funny. So, I am now throwing around the idea of getting either another VTF-15, or a new Onkyo TX-NR3008 for the use of it's MultEQ XT32.

Quote:
I've had mine near field and far field in the front left corner. Measured with the SMS-1 and BFD I don't get a steep drop off in either location. Measured with the BFD I'm flat to 11Hz with mine(1 port open, EQ1, Q=0.7) and 15Hz(2 ports open, EQ2, Q=0.7).

I'm not convinced about the AH GP measurements. The reviewer posted a rant and personal attack against Dr. Hsu, so I wonder if he had an ax to grind when reviewing the sub.
Old February 28th, 2011, 6:59 PM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes. Without yet calibrating with Audyssey, I've tried it in Max SPL and Max extension.

I played the Inception chair dunk scene, War of The World machine rises scene and the Master and Commander First attack(cannon intensive) scene. I think I had the sub at 9:30 volume and the AVR at -20. Oh, and the Kung Fu Panda skadoosh scene.

The sub is crazy. Freaking crazy. Cupboard doors were rattling. Dishes were rattling. My gas fireplace was rattling. My chair was shaking and my buddy said it feels like an earthquake. Then I played the low frequency CD. I never knew an organ could punch you in the gut. But this all makes things complicated.

My wife is not going to like this I think. I was trying to get her used to the idea with our old sub turned up in the past couple of weeks but when she gets home I gotta have it turned WAY down I think.

What an amazing sub. Best purchase ever.

Out of curiosity what size room are you running the sub in?
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM

The theater room has a railing for a back wall which separates it from the kitchen. It's a split level design and the total area is slightly under 3400 cubic feet. Then there is an open doorway into the laundry, and the 3 steps up to the kitchen also take you to the front hall/entrance, which also has a vaulted ceiling, and I'm not sure how much of that I should add to the 3400.

I've since run Audyssey with the sub as my first results were with the old Audyssey settings using a small bandpass sub. I love the Hsu, it's changed my appreciation for movies and music. I want to buy one for my 2 channel system now, but the wife wants a dining room table and hutch combo. I guess it's her turn!
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiper101 View Post
These subs rock. I've had mine since late Nov. and I have no regrets. I only have them set to 8:30 and my AVR sub level is at -4. I have 5100^3ft to fill plus an open stairway to upstairs. Trust me, there are plenty of things shaking, including my chest and teeth. Booth ports open, EQ2 and Q=.5.
I am moving to a new house sometime this summer with the open floor plan. The listening area will be the same as yours. Did you get both subs at same time? I'm wondering how a single 15H would sound in a 5100 cubic foot listening area.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 5:18 AM

You gotta love the Fedex tracker. I've gone from the 3rd to the 4th and now back to the 3rd.
So either it's going to show up tomorrow or friday.
I'm a bit excited, having duals will be sweet.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 5:23 AM

_Jon_ is on a distinguished road
Crossover frequency

Hello,
I have had a VTF-15H for 2-3 months now and am VERY happy with it. I have it mostly dialed in the way I want it, but I'm a little stuck with the crossover frequency. My front speakers are Monitor Audio R250HD. Their specs say that they go to 50hz. Is this where I should set the crossover? Unfortunately, my Denon 3310ci only lets me choose between 40hz and 60hz. 60 hz sounds a little boomy (EQ=2, 1 port open, Q=0.3). 40 hz sounds better, but I suspect that I am missing some frequencies, as the sub sounds under-utilized. The Audyssey setup says to set it to 40hz.

With that background, is there a way to utilize the sub's crossover in conjunction with my amp? Perhaps I should set my receiver to 60 hz and the sub to 50hz? If I am using the sub's crossover, does it matter how I set my receiver? Should I set it to 60 hz and make other changes? Thanks for any informed opinions that you can offer.

Jon
Old March 2nd, 2011, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jon_ View Post
Hello,
I have had a VTF-15H for 2-3 months now and am VERY happy with it. I have it mostly dialed in the way I want it, but I'm a little stuck with the crossover frequency. My front speakers are Monitor Audio R250HD. Their specs say that they go to 50hz. Is this where I should set the crossover? Unfortunately, my Denon 3310ci only lets me choose between 40hz and 60hz. 60 hz sounds a little boomy (EQ=2, 1 port open, Q=0.3). 40 hz sounds better, but I suspect that I am missing some frequencies, as the sub sounds under-utilized. The Audyssey setup says to set it to 40hz.

With that background, is there a way to utilize the sub's crossover in conjunction with my amp? Perhaps I should set my receiver to 60 hz and the sub to 50hz? If I am using the sub's crossover, does it matter how I set my receiver? Should I set it to 60 hz and make other changes? Thanks for any informed opinions that you can offer.

Jon
You should set your speakers to 80Hz in the receiver and bypass the sub's crossover. It will take some load off the receiver and let the sub handle 80Hz and lower. The sub's crossover should be bypassed because the receiver would handle that. I suppose you could use the sub's crossover to fine tune using EQ software like REW, but I doubt you'd get anything better than just letting the receiver handle all the crossover duties.

Also, just because the specs say they go to 50Hz doesn't mean you have to cross them over at 50. The receiver likely set them to 40 because of room response. In-room tends to boost lower frequencies.

Last edited by rwjr : March 2nd, 2011 at 7:18 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 7:35 AM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jon_ View Post
Hello,

Jon
You definitely don't want two crossovers active at the same time(sub and receiver). Ideally you would want your crossover at least an octave above the speakers low end (50Hz) to allow for the slope. An octave above your speakers 50Hz low end would be 75Hz, so an 80hz crossover would be ideal.

You said you can only set the crossover to 40Hz or 60Hz on your receiver, but page 10 of the 3310-CI manual says you can set the receiver's crossovers in the following range 40, 60,80,100, 110,120,150,200,250Hz. I'd pick 80Hz. Also make sure your speakers are set to small otherwise the crossover setting doesn't do anything if the speakers are set to large.

Last edited by lradden : March 2nd, 2011 at 8:04 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM

Whiper101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggimp View Post
I am moving to a new house sometime this summer with the open floor plan. The listening area will be the same as yours. Did you get both subs at same time? I'm wondering how a single 15H would sound in a 5100 cubic foot listening area.

I did get both subs at the same time, and have never tried using only one.
I suspect that if you don't listen at insane levels constantly, one would be enough.

I bought two because I always wanted to have two subs to help even out the response. I remember reading that it is usually better to have 2 less expensive subs than 1 more expensive sub. And two of these happened to fall within my budget. (And I think I looks cool with them both staring back at me).
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You gotta love the Fedex tracker. I've gone from the 3rd to the 4th and now back to the 3rd.
So either it's going to show up tomorrow or friday.
I'm a bit excited, having duals will be sweet.
I am soooooooooooo jealous!

I could probably grab another one, but I would have to sell my dual mfw-15's first. And lets be honest here, who is going to buy THOSE?

Hey Pete, would you be interested? Har har.....
Old March 2nd, 2011, 3:20 PM

Quote:
You said you can only set the crossover to 40Hz or 60Hz on your receiver, but page 10 of the 3310-CI manual says you can set the receiver's crossovers in the following range 40, 60,80,100, 110,120,150,200,250Hz.
I gather he was saying his speakers are advertised 50Hz, but the receiver doesn't have a 50Hz setting.

Of course, the FR is usually anechoic, and will be lower in-room.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 9:14 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am soooooooooooo jealous!

I could probably grab another one, but I would have to sell my dual mfw-15's first. And lets be honest here, who is going to buy THOSE?

Hey Pete, would you be interested? Har har.....
You would certainly find some buyers for them. I don't know how much you could command for them though, but I would guess you could unload them for around $300 a pop. I would sell them and get a VTF-15H, if only for the piece of mind of owning a reliable product backed with a warranty. It's better to sell them now while they are still working rather than wait and eventually gaining some huge paper weights, you won't get much for them then.

But another interesting option is the sandbagger turbo kits for the MFWs. Google that if you don't know what it is, it looks like a pretty neat option for MFW owners.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 7:16 AM

My 2nd 15H arrived this am with no marks that I can see. The box was in good shape.
I won't turn it on for a few hours due to the temp change from outside to inside. I'll let it aclimate.
The box dosen't have the same impact as the arrival of my first one.
It's still a thing of beauty however.

Jim
Attached Images

Old March 3rd, 2011, 8:27 AM

Sputter, you are going to get some crazy bass!
Old March 4th, 2011, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Sputter, you are going to get some crazy bass!
Absolutely I will.

I'm in the process of getting flat curve ~15hz and it's looking good. I still have some adjustments to make but here is a quick graph.

P.S this is 1 port open Q=.7 atm, it's interesting to note that having my near-field sub at EQ2 and far-field at EQ1 gives the flattest so far. I gain matched the subs, with my spl meter at 12" I was getting 80db with the gain barely moved on either sub. A very sensitive dial on both subs, it was tricky to get them close to each other. lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Sputter : March 4th, 2011 at 9:40 AM. Reason: extra info
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Absolutely I will.

I'm in the process of getting flat curve ~15hz and it's looking good.l
In the process??? Man you have a seriously flat curve right now that extends below 15Hz. You just can't see it because the SMS-1 only goes to 15Hz.

Nice job sputter, really nice job

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
In the process??? Man you have a seriously flat curve right now that extends below 15Hz. You just can't see it because the SMS-1 only goes to 15Hz.

Nice job sputter, really nice job
Thanks Iradden,

I have that little dip at 63hz and a rise at 80 which is to be expected considering my crossover is 80hz. I haven't broke out my ruler yet to measure the curve
Old March 11th, 2011, 8:07 AM

45_ACP_AUTO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely I will.

I'm in the process of getting flat curve ~15hz and it's looking good. I still have some adjustments to make but here is a quick graph.

P.S this is 1 port open Q=.7 atm, it's interesting to note that having my near-field sub at EQ2 and far-field at EQ1 gives the flattest so far. I gain matched the subs, with my spl meter at 12" I was getting 80db with the gain barely moved on either sub. A very sensitive dial on both subs, it was tricky to get them close to each other. lol
Very, very, nice job, now for the dudes at AH who say the sub will not play low, suck on this graph. I am so wanting a second sub, just bought a new car so I will have to wait just a bit. I am very impressed with the SMS-1 graph, you did a fantastic job bro.
Old March 11th, 2011, 8:09 AM

Quote:
My 2nd 15H arrived this am with no marks that I can see. The box was in good shape.
I won't turn it on for a few hours due to the temp change from outside to inside. I'll let it aclimate.

Jim
Looks tight dude, where you going to put it? stacked? Now, that would look impressive. Congrats on the second.
Old March 11th, 2011, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_ACP_AUTO View Post
Looks tight dude, where you going to put it? stacked? Now, that would look impressive. Congrats on the second.
I haven't tried stacked. that would look cool.
Old March 11th, 2011, 9:41 AM
Hsu Research

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that we are sold out of Satin Black finish (yet again). We should have that finish back in stock by middle to end of next month. Note that we do have some Rosenut finish still available.

Thanks, have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that we are sold out of Satin Black finish (yet again). We should have that finish back in stock by middle to end of next month. Note that we do have some Rosenut finish still available.

Thanks, have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
The rosenut is very nice.
Old March 13th, 2011, 7:14 AM

RickD1225 is on a distinguished road
I purchased a VTF-15 in Dec and added it to my system which already had a Klipsch RSW-12 with a Klipsch RF-5s, RC-7 and RS-7s. I just added a SMS-1 to the system. As I was trying to set up the subs I found out how much the Klipsch sub held back the 15H. With both subs I could not get a decently flat response not matter what I tried. I adjusted as much as I could on both subs to no avail. I finally decided to turn off the Klipsch and I was then able to get a good curve. Unfortunately the reponse falls off quickly starting at 25 Hz. I have tried several different sub locations with the front corner giving the best results. I have a fairly large room, +5,000 sq ft. I use 1 port open Q= 0.7. Using the SMS-1 you can watch what the changes do to the response curve in real time, it is a fabulous tool. It looks like I may need another VTF-15H. Would a second sub improve the low end? Does Hsu offer a deal on a second VTF-15H?
Old March 13th, 2011, 9:57 AM

What's your cubic feet? LxWxH this needs to include all open space eg. leading to an open kitchen etc.

I went to a 2nd 15H because my room is 4500 cu ft. It was way easier to get a flat response down to ~15hz. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see my curve.

Like you with one 15H I lost a lot of ~25hz when my sub was in a bad spot. Once I found a proper placement in my room I was able to get a decent curve ~15hz (scroll up a bunch more posts and you'll find a curve of mine with just one 15H).

Somebody can correct me if i'm wrong, but adding a 2nd sub isn't going to give you a lower response. You need to find the correct placement for your room and use the 2nd sub to even out the response over multiple seating.

A room description, cu ft etc will help us to help you.

Jim
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Cubic footage is +5,000 with an open to another room mid way down one wall 6 feet across and 8 feet high. I have tried all the locations that are "available" (I do have a wife) and none of them gave me the low end I was hoping for. I have tried all of the tuning options in each of those locations, including phase adjustment. One surprising thing was how much the sub phase played into melding well with the mains around the 80 Hz crossover.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Cubic footage is +5,000 with an open to another room mid way down one wall 6 feet across and 8 feet high. I have tried all the locations that are "available" (I do have a wife) and none of them gave me the low end I was hoping for. I have tried all of the tuning options in each of those locations, including phase adjustment. One surprising thing was how much the sub phase played into melding well with the mains around the 80 Hz crossover.
Wives do have a say . At this point I would suggest that you place it in a corner as far from that opening in your room if possible. As a guess that opening is "sucking out" the low end. I know that was the case in my room.

Post a pic of your response so we can see what sms is saying.

Jim
Old March 13th, 2011, 2:49 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Rick,

Can you post a room diagram, including HxWxD dimensions of the main area and the openings to other areas, as well as listening position relative to all potential subwoofer placement positions?

It sounds like you may have a deep bass suckout in your room.

In theory one can enhance deep bass extension with the addition of a second subwoofer. This would require using external EQ boost to extend the response. That said, even without EQ boost, a second identical subwoofer can provide up to 6dB higher output capability at all frequencies.

In your large room, I recommend running the subwoofer with 'EQ2'. You should try both ports open too.

Sincerely,
Old March 13th, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Can you post a room diagram, including HxWxD dimensions of the main area and the openings to other areas, as well as listening position relative to all potential subwoofer placement positions?

It sounds like you may have a deep bass suckout in your room.

In theory one can enhance deep bass extension with the addition of a second subwoofer. This would require using external EQ boost to extend the response. That said, even without EQ boost, a second identical subwoofer can provide up to 6dB higher output capability at all frequencies.

In your large room, I recommend running the subwoofer with 'EQ2'. You should try both ports open too.

Sincerely,
Pete, thanks for the interest. I will try to get a diagram posted later this week after I have time to draw it.
Old March 13th, 2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Wives do have a say . At this point I would suggest that you place it in a corner as far from that opening in your room if possible. As a guess that opening is "sucking out" the low end. I know that was the case in my room.

Post a pic of your response so we can see what sms is saying.

Jim
Jim, here are the pics of all of the presets after I did a manual EQ using preset 5.
Attached Images

Old March 13th, 2011, 5:09 PM

And here is the sub unequalized.
Attached Images

Last edited by RickD1225 : June 22nd, 2011 at 4:54 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 5:15 PM

For those unfamiliar with the SMS-1:

Preset 1 = Action/Adventure
Preset 2 = Movies
Preset 3 = Pop/Rock
Preset 4 = Jazz/Classical
Preset 5 = Custom
Preset 6 EQ Defeat

I believe when you do a custom EQ for your room the SMS-1 makes adjustments to that custom EQ for each named input type.
Old March 13th, 2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
And here is the sub equalized.
Hi Rick,thanks for posting the graphs.
Here is a pic of my old response. One sub, near field, EQ2, Q=.7, One port open.

When I found the right spot in my room that dive at 25hz (my graph) leveled right out. I'm sure it's just a question of finding the right spot.

Jim
Attached Images

Old March 13th, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
For those unfamiliar with the SMS-1:

Preset 1 = Action/Adventure
Preset 2 = Movies
Preset 3 = Pop/Rock
Preset 4 = Jazz/Classical
Preset 5 = Custom
Preset 6 EQ Defeat

I believe when you do a custom EQ for your room the SMS-1 makes adjustments to that custom EQ for each named input type.
Yep, you can make changes to the presets and save them you just can't change the names of the pre-sets
Old March 14th, 2011, 6:16 AM

Jim,

Is your room sealed?
Old March 14th, 2011, 8:51 AM

Hi Rick,

It's usually not sealed.

My room is roughly 4500 cu ft.
Rectanglar with an opening in one corner to the stairs that go up, also a wet bar and small workout alcove. At the top of my stairs there is a door but it's generally not closed.

I posted a pdf file in a thead here that shows my room layout if that'll help.
I had that dropped curve with one sub till I found the right spot and it went fairly even without EQing. EQing was the icing on the cake.
( i'll look for the file and re-post it here). Looking at my pdf file my first sub went in the front left corner. That placement brought in a useable curve from 15hz +.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf JSW-Media Room-B.pdf (26.6 KB, 5721 views)
Old March 16th, 2011, 5:57 AM

Jim,

I got the OK from my better half to move some furniture around this week-end to see if I can find a better sub location. The best current position in the front corner on the long wall, but this wall has the 6 ft opening half way down the wall. I am going to move the sub to the other front corner on the wall that has no openings. Unfortunately there is no option for a rear location. The room is 25 ft long x 19 wide with a ceiling sloping from 14 ft down to 8.5 ft. on the 19 ft dimension. The LP is 12 feet from the front wall.

I also get to install a new to me used Rotel RMB 1095 amp (200 w/ch). My electrician son is running to dedicated 20 amp A/V circuits this week-end to run the entire set-up. One of these circuits will be dedicated to the amp only. Here's my Equip:

Klipsch RF-5s
RC-7
RS-7s
VTF-15H (I also have a Klipsch RSW-12 sub that I have turned off after I figured out it was holding the VTF-15H back
Pio SC-25 AVR, will continue to use it as a pre/pro.
Monster HTS3600MKII power center
Panny TC-P65V10 plasma
Dish VIP 722
Panny BD-35
Empire 598 turntable (yes vinyl is still in the picture and if you have never heard vinyl you owe it to yourself to give it a listen)

Panny

Last edited by RickD1225 : March 16th, 2011 at 6:15 AM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Jim,

I got the OK from my better half to move some furniture around this week-end to see if I can find a better sub location. The best current position in the front corner on the long wall, but this wall has the 6 ft opening half way down the wall. I am going to move the sub to the other front corner on the wall that has no openings. Unfortunately there is no option for a rear location. The room is 25 ft long x 19 wide with a ceiling sloping from 14 ft down to 8.5 ft. on the 19 ft dimension. The LP is 12 feet from the front wall.

I also get to install a new to me used Rotel RMB 1095 amp (200 w/ch). My electrician son is running to dedicated 20 amp A/V circuits this week-end to run the entire set-up. One of these circuits will be dedicated to the amp only. Here's my Equip:

Klipsch RF-5s
RC-7
RS-7s
VTF-15H (I also have a Klipsch RSW-12 sub that I have turned off after I figured out it was holding the VTF-15H back
Pio SC-25 AVR, will continue to use it as a pre/pro.
Monster HTS3600MKII power center
Panny TC-P65V10 plasma
Dish VIP 722
Panny BD-35
Empire 598 turntable (yes vinyl is still in the picture and if you have never heard vinyl you owe it to yourself to give it a listen)

Panny
Nice gear Rick. That amp should be a nice upgrade at higher listening levels.
I use the Pioneer 9040 as a pre/pro and a Emotiva XPA-5 to drive my Jamos. I'll dump my pioneer at some point, it's really too bright for my taste.
I'm leaning towards a Audessy equipped AVR. I'm curious about it's sub calibration since MACCA doesn't do subs.

I grew up with vinyl :-) I even recall 78s (my parents albums).

It's nice to have the spouse agree to furniture shifting.
Hopefully that placement is going to give you the lower end of the sub.
I knocked on wood for you.

I considered running a dedicated circuit but since my lights don't dim I figure i'm pretty good and my furman line conditioner isn't bit*hing.

Let us know how it goes man.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Play track 5 on the HSU cd.
My Jamos are calibrated to 75db and my pair of 15H are set 3db "hotter".
I was listening at 0 on my AVR. No lagging, no odd sounds to my ears (you'd know it at that lvl lol) nothing but music/bass.

Jim

P.S. out of all the material i've listened to, the AH review is hard to understand regarding Paul's comments. His comments are nothing like i'm hearing and measuring with my limited equipment.
I can't speak to his numbers as I don't have his measuring gear or his 23 years doing this stuff. His personal comments I can speak to and it's not even close to my real world testing.

*this is my own opinion and doesn't reflect anyone elses*

Last edited by Sputter : March 17th, 2011 at 1:09 PM. Reason: another comment
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Jim
Congrats on your second vtf-15h Sputter..........

Last edited by serge71 : March 18th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Congrats on your second vt5-15h Sputter..........
Thanks man, it's working out nicely.
Old March 20th, 2011, 7:39 AM

I spent several hours yesterday trying to find a better sub location. After all of this work I went back to the original location with the results shown in post 461. I tried numerous locations along the front and side walls. I tried all port configurations, operating modes and Q settings. I use an SMS-1 so I can see the effects of the changes in real time. I also adjusted the phase on the SMS-1 from 0 to 180 in 15 degree steps to get the best response for each location before doing the other adjustments. The original location is as good as it gets in my room. I am a little disappointed in the graphs although I can say that I am not as disappointed in the actual sound, it is an improvement over my former sub, a Klipsch RSW-12. I don't know what a better response would add to the sound, but I have to believe I would notice the difference.

I also added a Rotel RMB 1095 amp to power my main Klipsch reference system and I can't even begin to express how much this change improved the sound of my system, outstanding! I was using a Pioneer SC-25 (now do duty as a pre/pro). The power amp absolutely puts out a cleaner, smoother, wider soundstage. The center channel in particular benefited the most, dialog is now razor sharp.Totally worth the investment. It's almost like I bought a new set of speakers.
Old March 20th, 2011, 6:00 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Rick,

I wouldn't sweat it too much. After reducing the peak at 40Hz with the SMS-1, you have a remarkably smooth in-room response with only about 4dB of variation in response from 80Hz all the way down to 25Hz. Even though you may have a deep bass suckout in that placement position, that is still far better than having a mid-bass suckout. In the range of bass frequencies that are most transient in nature, you have a very nice response!

Sincerely,
Old March 25th, 2011, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Hi Rick,

I wouldn't sweat it too much. After reducing the peak at 40Hz with the SMS-1, you have a remarkably smooth in-room response with only about 4dB of variation in response from 80Hz all the way down to 25Hz. Even though you may have a deep bass suckout in that placement position, that is still far better than having a mid-bass suckout. In the range of bass frequencies that are most transient in nature, you have a very nice response!

Sincerely,
Well said Pete, Rick, your in room is not bad at all. It actually looks alot better than most peoples. The only issue I see is the drop off at 25. I have a buddy with the txh ultra 2 klipsch subs that has the exact same problem. Some rooms are just funky, what can I tell ya. Not really to much below 25 anyhow, your graph loos great. I am getting low bass from my vtf15h all the way down to 16 in my room.
Old March 26th, 2011, 7:22 AM

Hi Rick,

I'm curious, do you still have the Klipsch RSW-12?

What I would try is placing your 15H far field (corner placed away from the room opening) and placing the RSW near field (away from a wall but behind your seating area) Do a quick level match rather gain (gain match takes a bit more work)

I'd almost bet you'll see a flatter graph and more easily EQed.

Jim
Old March 26th, 2011, 4:17 PM

I still do have the RSW-12. I plan to try side wall locations with it, but it will have to wait until next week-end. I don't have a location behind the listening position for a sub unfortunately.

Maybe I need a new home with a dedicated closed theater room!
Old March 27th, 2011, 9:35 AM

Quote:
I still do have the RSW-12. I plan to try side wall locations with it, but it will have to wait until next week-end. I don't have a location behind the listening position for a sub unfortunately.

Maybe I need a new home with a dedicated closed theater room!
Old March 28th, 2011, 1:54 PM

For some reason I couldn't get my rew result posted. I first ran audyssey xt, then ran rew, then imported my eq numbers. I am running a FBQ2496 but may get either a Antimode or SMS-1.

I am running 2 ports open, eq2, q5.

5hz 47db
7 49.2
8 55.5
9 60
10 64.5
11 68
12 70
14 74.5
16 76.9
18 78.7
20 78.6
22 78
25 76.9
28 77.8
31.5 75.3
36 76
40 76
45 76
50 76
56 75.2
63 73.4
71 72.5
80 69.8
89 69.8
100 67

Pretty nice flat response. If you can believe it the bass sounds even better than before. Notes are fast, no overhang sound, no boomisness. (sp) Lovin it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
For some reason I couldn't get my rew result posted. I first ran audyssey xt, then ran rew, then imported my eq numbers. I am running a FBQ2496 but may get either a Antimode or SMS-1.

I am running 2 ports open, eq2, q5.

5hz 47db
7 49.2
8 55.5
9 60
10 64.5
11 68
12 70
14 74.5
16 76.9
18 78.7
20 78.6
22 78
25 76.9
28 77.8
31.5 75.3
36 76
40 76
45 76
50 76
56 75.2
63 73.4
71 72.5
80 69.8
89 69.8
100 67

Pretty nice flat response. If you can believe it the bass sounds even better than before. Notes are fast, no overhang sound, no boomisness. (sp) Lovin it.
It looks pretty good man, from 14hz to 71hz it doesn't vary by more than 4db. It drops a bit at your crossover of 80hz.

Jim
Old March 30th, 2011, 7:08 PM

ROBERT760 is on a distinguished road
vtf15

Well my new vtf15 is making a clipping sound from the driver and don't know what it is.Took out the driver and checked it like Pete told me and tryed it and to see if nothing is touching . But everything looks good. Need to take it to Hsu so they can take a look at it.
Old March 31st, 2011, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT760 View Post
Well my new vtf15 is making a clipping sound from the driver and don't know what it is.Took out the driver and checked it like Pete told me and tryed it and to see if nothing is touching . But everything looks good. Need to take it to Hsu so they can take a look at it.
I'm sorry to hear that man. Just the one sub?
Keep us updated.

Did you happen to take any pictures?
Old March 31st, 2011, 6:36 AM
Ask for a demo

Robert are you getting any popping noise? Is the sound metallic? Also is it only one loud bassy material or all the time?

Old March 31st, 2011, 9:25 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Robert, if you wish to, you can try testing the driver by itself. Disconnect the red (+) and black (-) speaker wire from the driver terminals, and hook up directly to one of your left or right main speaker outputs on the A/V receiver (of course making sure that + and - strands don't touch each other). Temporarily set your main speakers to "Large" on the A/V receiver, and play something with mid-bass and deep bass content to see if the driver sounds fine when tested by itself.

Thanks
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM

Talking vtf15

Quote:
Hi Robert, if you wish to, you can try testing the driver by itself. Disconnect the red (+) and black (-) speaker wire from the driver terminals, and hook up directly to one of your left or right main speaker outputs on the A/V receiver (of course making sure that + and - strands don't touch each other). Temporarily set your main speakers to "Large" on the A/V receiver, and play something with mid-bass and deep bass content to see if the driver sounds fine when tested by itself.

Thanks
Hi Pete ya I put the driver by itself and got the same thing .so tomorrow morning going to Hsu so Leo can check it out .or change the driver . But still with the noise the sub never gave up and still hit and went low and kept up with his twin making my walls move like a earthquake. O ya I took pics of the inside of the vtf15 ill post later.
Old April 1st, 2011, 6:41 AM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
O ya I took pics of the inside of the vtf15 ill post later.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 2:34 PM

Talking vtf15

Went to Hsu on Friday and Leo checked the sub and Yup something was wrong with the driver a clicking sound but Leo hooked it up with a new driver . Take 1 and call me in the morning . Well my sub got a sticker from the Doctor and I got a Hsu t-shirt . Now a hour drive back home to hear my dynamic duals back in action. Thanks Leo and Hsu staff for very good tech support.

Last edited by ROBERT760 : April 3rd, 2011 at 2:52 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Went to Hsu on Friday and Leo checked the sub and Yup something was wrong with the driver a clicking sound but Leo hooked it up with a new driver . Take 1 and call me in the morning . Well my sub got a sticker from the Doctor and I got a Hsu t-shirt . Now a hour drive back home to hear my dynamic duals back in action. Thanks Leo and Hsu staff for very good tech support.
That's good news man.
When you can, could you post the pics of the inside? I'm always curious about the inside of things.

Thanks,
Jim
Old April 4th, 2011, 8:27 AM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Now that's service. Hsu always stands behind their products, and takes excellent care of their customers.

Did Leo mention what he thought the problem with the driver was? I'd also love to see those pics.

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Talking

Quote:
Now that's service. Hsu always stands behind their products, and takes excellent care of their customers.

Did Leo mention what he thought the problem with the driver was? I'd also love to see those pics.
He said it mite of been the spider but he is not sure until he opens it up and checks it out . I only had it for a month and a half . So hope It's the only one at thier for me no biggie since I live close to Hsu . Ya those pic I have to use my computer to post them my phone doesn't let me and I been busy so haven't had time.
Old April 6th, 2011, 8:09 PM

dolby33 is on a distinguished road
Second Subwoofer

I currently own a super cube 1 subwoofer and want to add more bass to my system by adding a second sub. I have been very impressed with what that I have read about the VTF-15H. My question is, will the HSU play well with my current sub, or should I look at different options?
Old April 19th, 2011, 2:44 AM

tlfarmer3 is on a distinguished road
First and foremost, Pete you are awesome thanks for all the help in shipping and the updates.

I just replace my VTF-1 with the VTF-15H and when my back heals from placing the damn thing I might be able to enjoy it!

I don’t use meters (sorry tech freaks) but I am real anal with my sound (I know Ill buy a meter and learn to use it). My first day with the 15H was mostly spent on placement and configuration. Its heavy but not that heavy when you want to get things started. After unpacking the well packaged beast and getting the feet installed quickly it was on its way to its new home. I ran my Yamaha YPOA and the auto configuration screwed up my speaker sizes and LFE output (defaulted I would assume). So my first impression of the 15H was of confusion. My daughter stated “um sound like the VTF-1”. Not to be discouraged I changed settings on the 15H and played the Blu-Ray DTS Batman Returns again and again things were definitely off! Finally I went thru the settings to find that LFE was defaulted to my fronts and sub and my sub was turned way down. Corrections made, my son and I decide The Pacific (part 6) would be a great test at midnight and holy F@#$ I thought the house would fall down! The bombs dropping on the pill box had my couch punching my ass and back. I have already seen this episode many times and I was on edge. I have yet to really experiment with all the settings offered because it is late and some people have school and work but tomorrow is another day.

Not to leave out that my VTF-1 is still in active duty in my game room of 19X16 and I am as impressed with it as I am with the new 15H. New home for a veteran sub and it can actually fill the room with deep bass. Proper size room for a proper sub!

My current 15H settings:

One port open
Vol. 10 O'clock
EQ 1
Q 0.5
Phase 0
C/O Out
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2011, 2:56 AM

more pics

More Pics
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hsu Research

Beautiful pictures tl, I really like your setup, thank you so much for sharing!

Have you had a chance to experiment with 'EQ1' vs. 'EQ2' (keeping one port plugged)?

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Beautiful pictures tl, I really like your setup, thank you so much for sharing!

Have you had a chance to experiment with 'EQ1' vs. 'EQ2' (keeping one port plugged)?

Thanks

Sincerely,
Pete

I have been playing around with it and so far this is what I have it set to and the bass is fantastic. I will give this a listen for awhile and then move it around. Alot of options on this sub,One port open, I like that, but it sure makes it hard to be convinced you have the best settings.lol

One port open
Vol. 10 O'clock

EQ 1
Q 0.5
Phase 0
C/O Out
Old April 20th, 2011, 3:56 PM

I went thru the same thing, listening and measuring. I finally listened just to the various modes and I decided on the 2 ports open, eq2, q5. I then remeasured it and found that I was pretty good to about 14hz. Then I ran Audyssey and then fine tuned a couple of small peaks here and there with my Behringer fbq2496. I also ran it about 3 db hot for movies but after two months I had to run it even with the rest of my system. It can drown out the rest of my 7.0 setup, the dynamics are unreal. It still makes me smile. Easily the best sub I have ever bought, and it kills my diy efforts. The look on my 4 year old grandsons face when he is watching one of his movies is priceless. Hell, even Sponge Bob sounds great. Have fun with it, it will even sound better after a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfarmer3 View Post
Pete

I have been playing around with it and so far this is what I have it set to and the bass is fantastic. I will give this a listen for awhile and then move it around. Alot of options on this sub,One port open, I like that, but it sure makes it hard to be convinced you have the best settings.lol

One port open
Vol. 10 O'clock

EQ 1
Q 0.5
Phase 0
C/O Out
Old April 21st, 2011, 2:06 PM

Mwcjr159 is on a distinguished road
I received my VTF 15H yesterday. The Fed Ex driver was smaller than the box, so after a couple minutes of entertainment I figured I better go help her before it got damaged.

Right out of the box this sub has really impressed me. First off the packaging is excellent! If I had known how well this sub was packed I may still be watching/laughing as the Fed Ex driver struggled. The build quality is second to none, this sub is SEXY! The fit and finish is far better than I expected at this price point. I have a very large room and if I can get the bosses approval someday will get at least one more of these subs. It is a very open floor plan with vaulted ceilings that are 16í at the low ends and 28í at the peak. Also the room is completely open on 2 sides going into the kitchen/Dining Room and to a large front room, I would guess somewhere around 21,000 CF, so I wasnít expecting a whole lot from just one sub. I havenít had a chance to play with the settings, run YPAO or REW yet to start balancing it out but with the first bass note it put a huge grin on my face and a damn strong shake to my chair. I canít wait to get it dialed in and see what it can really do.

I just wanted to extend kudos, gratitude and thanks for making this purchase well worth my time. I am very happy to be part of the HSU family and look forward to many years of enjoyment.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old April 21st, 2011, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwcjr159 View Post
I received my VTF 15H yesterday. The Fed Ex driver was smaller than the box, so after a couple minutes of entertainment I figured I better go help her before it got damaged.

Right out of the box this sub has really impressed me. First off the packaging is excellent! If I had known how well this sub was packed I may still be watching/laughing as the Fed Ex driver struggled. The build quality is second to none, this sub is SEXY! The fit and finish is far better than I expected at this price point. I have a very large room and if I can get the bosses approval someday will get at least one more of these subs. It is a very open floor plan with vaulted ceilings that are 16í at the low ends and 28í at the peak. Also the room is completely open on 2 sides going into the kitchen/Dining Room and to a large front room, I would guess somewhere around 21,000 CF, so I wasnít expecting a whole lot from just one sub. I havenít had a chance to play with the settings, run YPAO or REW yet to start balancing it out but with the first bass note it put a huge grin on my face and a damn strong shake to my chair. I canít wait to get it dialed in and see what it can really do.

I just wanted to extend kudos, gratitude and thanks for making this purchase well worth my time. I am very happy to be part of the HSU family and look forward to many years of enjoyment.

Thanks again!
Mike
Holy crap, that's a whole lotta room. . Grats of your purchase man, it's a nice sub, I have a pair in the rosenut finish (4500 cf).

Let us know how it goes with the YPAO, that's a Yamaha AVR right? I really need to dump my pio 9040 (nice avr) but I find it's too bright for my taste.

Jim

P.S. any questions, we have a few people here that own singles and a couple people that own duals.
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Hey hey people......the more i listen to music and the more i watch movies and the MORE i love the VTF-15H!......i am so happy and glad i bought this sub!!....saving for the second one is longer then i tought it would be but it will come!!...have a good day!.
Old May 9th, 2011, 6:45 PM

dolby33 is on a distinguished road
Just got my VTF-15H subwoofer, this thing is awesome. I have it running with a Definitive Technology super cube. Tempted to sell the super cube and get another one of these things, but the wife is already complaining. She has no appreciation for great sound. I am so glad that I purchased this. My 4 months of research really paid off.
Old May 9th, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby33 View Post
Just got my VTF-15H subwoofer, this thing is awesome. I have it running with a Definitive Technology super cube. Tempted to sell the super cube and get another one of these things, but the wife is already complaining. She has no appreciation for great sound. I am so glad that I purchased this. My 4 months of research really paid off.
Do it, sell the cube :P
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:32 PM

mat is on a distinguished road
so happy...got sub

pete,
just got my 15H.
plugged it into the same spot as where my vtf2 was. 1 port open @ Q.7 rolloff @80. so very nice and I haven't even started fine tuning yet. I will let it settle in to the space before final twiq.
your team did an amazing job with this sub. I have used Urei's, questhead's, and genelec studio reference monitors for over 30 years recording and mixing rock, rap, r&b, and jazz hit recordings in NYC studios and this cabinet sounds real punchy with a nice clean flat yet deep curve to my ears, and I only care what my ears say.
thanks again for a truly great cabinet.
picts to follow soon.
Old May 13th, 2011, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
pete,
just got my 15H.
plugged it into the same spot as where my vtf2 was. 1 port open @ Q.7 rolloff @80. so very nice and I haven't even started fine tuning yet. I will let it settle in to the space before final twiq.
your team did an amazing job with this sub. I have used Urei's, questhead's, and genelec studio reference monitors for over 30 years recording and mixing rock, rap, r&b, and jazz hit recordings in NYC studios and this cabinet sounds real punchy with a nice clean flat yet deep curve to my ears, and I only care what my ears say.
thanks again for a truly great cabinet.
picts to follow soon.
Grats man.
Old May 13th, 2011, 3:35 PM
Hsu Research

Thank you so much for the positive feedback mat, glad that you like it! Let me know what you think of the different operating mode and Q control settings when you get a chance to play around with it.

Looking forward to the pics!

Sincerely,
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM

jcisbig is on a distinguished road
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking around at subs for a while as I'm saving up to purchase my first legit home theater system. From everything I've read, I think that the 15H is going to be my sub of choice. Right now, the only other sub I'm considering is the Rythmik FV15 because it seems like it may have the edge as far as sound quality and extension based on the various reviews and comments that I've read. However, it doesn't seem to have the same amount of tactile feedback as the 15H, which is very important to me!

In looking for a sub, I've been looking for the following attributes:
- Great sound quality
- Blends very well with other speakers (I'm looking at buying from Aperion Audio)
- Has wonderful tactile feedback
- Has extension below 20hz
- Well built and won't bottom out
- Good price for performance
- Looks good

From everything that I've read, the 15H seems to meet all those requirements!

My only concern though is the extension of the sub. I've seen the graphs in this thread that show flat FR down to below 15hz, but I don't have fancy equipment like an sms-1 or anything to eq my sub. Ethan and Adams Shootout on AVS showed the 15H dropping in output as it went below 25hz, but granted, they didn't play around with the settings much. Can anyone speak to my concerns about extension without the use of an outboad sub eq? I'm planning to get a receiver that has MultEQ XT, so I'm assuming that will help the low end a little at least.

Also, feel free to comment on other aspects of the sub (sound quality, tactile feedback, etc.) as I'd love to hear more impressions about these things too!

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Old June 4th, 2011, 7:09 PM

Len B is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking around at subs for a while as I'm saving up to purchase my first legit home theater system. From everything I've read, I think that the 15H is going to be my sub of choice. Right now, the only other sub I'm considering is the Rythmik FV15 because it seems like it may have the edge as far as sound quality and extension based on the various reviews and comments that I've read. However, it doesn't seem to have the same amount of tactile feedback as the 15H, which is very important to me!

In looking for a sub, I've been looking for the following attributes:
- Great sound quality
- Blends very well with other speakers (I'm looking at buying from Aperion Audio)
- Has wonderful tactile feedback
- Has extension below 20hz
- Well built and won't bottom out
- Good price for performance
- Looks good

From everything that I've read, the 15H seems to meet all those requirements!

My only concern though is the extension of the sub. I've seen the graphs in this thread that show flat FR down to below 15hz, but I don't have fancy equipment like an sms-1 or anything to eq my sub. Ethan and Adams Shootout on AVS showed the 15H dropping in output as it went below 25hz, but granted, they didn't play around with the settings much. Can anyone speak to my concerns about extension without the use of an outboad sub eq? I'm planning to get a receiver that has MultEQ XT, so I'm assuming that will help the low end a little at least.

Also, feel free to comment on other aspects of the sub (sound quality, tactile feedback, etc.) as I'd love to hear more impressions about these things too!

Thanks in advance for the replies!
I can't speak for your room, but in my opinion, if you're using Audyssey MultiEQ XT, I believe you'll get solid response at 20hz and below, especially since you can play around with the port tuning modes. I use MultiEQ XT and get a flat response down to 16HZ with both ports open in a room that is 4300 cubic feet and is open to other spaces for a total of 6500 cubic feet. It's a fantastic sub that exhibits a flat frequency response curve, plays low using real world material, and has nice puncy mid-bass with of course the "tactile" feel that you mentioned. The sound quality is excellent as well (especially sealed)!
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Great! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Len!
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hsu Research

Hi jcisbig, welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that you were able to read through Ethan and Adam's review, they did an amazing job! If I recall correctly, they said that the VTF-15H with both ports open tied for the best sound quality (equally as good sounding as the servo subwoofer), and was the only subwoofer they listened to that could maintain good sound quality at increasing playback levels. Now, the 15H was a bit more rolled off at 20Hz vs. a couple other subwoofers. Some of that difference is due to the Q control setting. Q = 0.3 will give the most rolled off deep bass, so setting Q = 0.7 will give a less rolled off response.

Based on your criteria for a subwoofer, the VTF-15H is an excellent choice! It offers a great combination of great sound quality, high output capability, flexible feature set, at a great price too.

Sincerely,
Old June 6th, 2011, 9:44 AM

Pete, thanks for your reply. It is sounding more and more like the 15H is the way to go! Now I just have to save up : )
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hsu Research

You are most welcome jcisbig, thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Ask for a demo

Also Ethan and Alan said they only tested the 15H in 2 port open mode which is a 22Hz port tuning. They even posted this as the last line in their review of the 15H.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19958208
Quote:
*This sub was tested with both ports open or 22hz mode. Extension would be improved upon by running it in 16hz mode or one port open.
I run mine with 1 port open EQ1 and in my sealed room I get extension down to 12Hz. With two ports open I get extension down to 16Hz.

Old July 14th, 2011, 8:50 AM

I watch this forum every day hoping for someone to post their current impressions/experiences/thoughts/etc. on the 15H. It's been over a month since the last post, and this makes me sad! So I had to make a post just to make myself feel better as I save up for my 15H! : )
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hsu Research

Thanks for posting jcisbig! Just to let you guys know, we did post some frequency response sweeps on our website to show the effect of the Q control and to show the response with different operating modes: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Note that these graphs are corrected for differences between the park and the back of our facility, but there are still many ripples because the original measurement was done in the back of our facility. If we ever get a chance to re-do this at the park, the frequency response will be super smooth without those ripples. So just to reiterate, the ripples in the response are not in any way a sign of lack of resolution or lack of data points with our software, but rather a sign of the product being measured in proximity to other buildings and objects.

Sincerely,
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Rayoliver is on a distinguished road
Best way to hook up my subs

Hi all

My 2 vtf-15h should be arriving on monday. Im fairly new to the world of home theater so am wondering what is the best way to connect the two subs to one lfe in the receiver and where would the best placement be for each. Not to sure what the exact dimensions are for the room but it is relativly small probably only 2500 cubic feet maybe less (i really like bass) and pretty much a closed off rectangle. My guess would be around 14 feet long 12 feet wide with 9ft ceilings. Would it be best for me to get a spl meter or rely on audessy in receiver. If spl what am i looking for it to read.

Also those who also have 2 vtf-15h what is the best way to start testing what mode is best for each. I listen to pretty much 98% movies and video games.

Any input would be great as i want to make the best of my home theater system expecially my new subs.

Thanks

Ray
Old July 16th, 2011, 1:55 PM

I cant beleive what this sub is capable of!!....i owned subs 3 times the price and they cant even compete with the VTF-15H....Pete i will call you soon for my second one...
Old July 16th, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayoliver View Post
Hi all

My 2 vtf-15h should be arriving on monday. Im fairly new to the world of home theater so am wondering what is the best way to connect the two subs to one lfe in the receiver and where would the best placement be for each. Not to sure what the exact dimensions are for the room but it is relativly small probably only 2500 cubic feet maybe less (i really like bass) and pretty much a closed off rectangle. My guess would be around 14 feet long 12 feet wide with 9ft ceilings. Would it be best for me to get a spl meter or rely on audessy in receiver. If spl what am i looking for it to read.

Also those who also have 2 vtf-15h what is the best way to start testing what mode is best for each. I listen to pretty much 98% movies and video games.

Any input would be great as i want to make the best of my home theater system expecially my new subs.

Thanks

Ray
You're going to have some fun with a pair in that room. I have a pair in a room that is 2000 cu ft larger.

A simple Y splitter from your AVR output will do the trick.
Using a SPL meter is the easiest way to place your subs. (gain or lvl match, I prefer gain).
Audessy will help smooth your bass response.

Gain matching is easy enough.
Place one sub centerish in your room and run the pink noise tone from your AVR with the spl meter a couple inches from the sub. Set the gain on the sub to 75db - 80db, rinse and repeat with the other sub. (note: one sub playing at a time) Now both subs will run the same.

Placement etc is something you'll play with. Get some furniture sliders. (hard plastic disks that have foam on one side to go under the feet) They'll help move the subs around.

These subs are a decent size. Even though you know the size, it's different in person. lol
Old July 16th, 2011, 7:23 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Hi all

Thanks

Ray
Yup you're really gong to have a LOT of sub for that room. With a room thats 14L x 12W x 9H that's about 1500 cubic feet. My room is 24L x 13W x 7.4H and that's 2300 cubic feet with a single VTF-15H and it really booms and pressurizes my sealed room. 2 VTF-15H subs in a 1500 CF room is a lot of sub so you're really going to have a good time.

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Hsu Research

Quote:
I cant beleive what this sub is capable of!!....i owned subs 3 times the price and they cant even compete with the VTF-15H....Pete i will call you soon for my second one...
Thank you Serge, I truly appreciate it!!!

Take care, talk to you soon!

Sincerely,
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM

beyond 1000 is on a distinguished road
Hello Pete and everybody else.

I am new to this forum and I have looked into several large subwoofers to buy. I presently own a Paradigm DSP-3400 and I am looking to buy something substantially better performing than my sub. This will be my last sub purchase.

My HT system is set up for movies so I am looking for a sub that will be set for movies 100% of the time. No music here....just movies...just LFE.

Two subs that I have narrowed the gap down are both SVSs PB 13 Ultra and PB 12 plus. I accidentally stumbled onto HSU and by chance I saw this VTF-15 monster.

The price looks good and I would appreciate of any and all feedback for my purchase. I am looking for a sub that will play rock bottom in frequency response with clean output at that level.

How does this unit compare in sound output to the SVSs I mentioned above? My room is about 1800 cu. ft. in volume.

For deep deep extension, would it be better with one port plugged or two ports plugged? EQ1 or 2? Q...5 or 7?

Is the driver a solid rubber surround or what material/feel is it? Does it feel robust and strong?

Finally, in a room like mine, what kind of low frequency response am I looking at given the deepest setting setup?

Thank you much
This is my first post and first exposure to the HSU VTF-15H.
Old July 21st, 2011, 4:44 AM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post

I am new to this forum and I have looked into several large subwoofers to buy. I presently own a Paradigm DSP-3400 and I am looking to buy something substantially better performing than my sub. This will be my last sub purchase.

My HT system is set up for movies so I am looking for a sub that will be set for movies 100% of the time. No music here....just movies...just LFE.

Two subs that I have narrowed the gap down are both SVSs PB 13 Ultra and PB 12 plus. I accidentally stumbled onto HSU and by chance I saw this VTF-15 monster.

The price looks good and I would appreciate of any and all feedback for my purchase. I am looking for a sub that will play rock bottom in frequency response with clean output at that level.

How does this unit compare in sound output to the SVSs I mentioned above? My room is about 1800 cu. ft. in volume.

For deep deep extension, would it be better with one port plugged or two ports plugged? EQ1 or 2? Q...5 or 7?

Is the driver a solid rubber surround or what material/feel is it? Does it feel robust and strong?

Finally, in a room like mine, what kind of low frequency response am I looking at given the deepest setting setup?

Thank you much
Hello Beyond 1000

Welcome to the forum. Since I have not had the pleasure yet to hear a VTF-15H, I will let the more knowledgeable answer your questions. I just wanted to welcome you. I'm sure Pete, sputter and the rest of the gang will be glad to answer your questions.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:

Just fyi...I have heard/had JL, Velos, Elemental Designs, and almost all HSU subs...

Thank you much
Hi beyond, and welcome to the forum:

The PB-13 will have a little more output at the deepest freqs, but honestly, you are basically paying twice the price for basically the same experience. However, some owners of the PB-13 say that at midbass/upperbass, the edge goes back to the HSU, because of the dry "kick" it gives at those freqs...

The PB-12... I dont think can hold a candle in terms of bass palpability(how you really feel the sub in your body/couch), due to it is simply a 12" driver competing against a very big 15" sub.

The VTf-15 feels very very strong. Hits hard, and it is very musical. It certainly feels much stronger than what it measures, and it is the best HSU sub so far for movie reproduction, as a stand alone unit.

The edge(surround) of the driver is the same light material as what's being used for the ULS-15, which is HSU's highest quality driver...Its a mix of foam with another polymer that Pete can chime in to give you the details, but it is not plain foam. So, no worries there...

Mine is at 3,100 cufeet and it rocks the room.(I live in a concrete house)

I think, due to the size of your room, your best setting for it would be something like Q@.5, EQ2, 1 port open... You should have no problem getting to strong dbs in the 15-12hz area in that room or so...

Just fyi...I have had/heard almost all HSU subs, Velos, JL's, and some ED subs. Some paradigms too...

Last edited by cacihome : July 21st, 2011 at 7:13 AM.
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hsu Research

Hi beyond_1000, welcome to the forum!

Due to the differences in driver/enclosure/amp design, the VTF-15H should be a nice step up from the DSP-3400 (which is already a good sub to begin with) in terms of deep bass output, deep bass extension, and feature set.

The VTF-15H should compare favorably to those other subs. The great thing about the VTF-15H is that it has a very flat frequency response throughout most of the operating range, and it has very little output compression too at increasing sweep levels. This model also has a high ability to reproduce multiple frequencies all at the same time with high sound pressure levels. So it is very impressive for home theater. The new triangular port design has better aesthetics and lower port noise compared to equivalently sized round ports at moderate-to-high playback levels. And with the contoured v-shaped grille, one can make use of the variable port tuning feature without removing the grille and without having the grille block the airflow from the ports.

I recommend experimenting with number of ports plugged, operating mode switch, and Q control. The deepest bass will be had with 1 port physically plugged. If you listen at low-to-moderate levels and/or prefer a more deep bass heavy response, then try 'EQ1' (with 0/1 port open). If you listen at high levels and/or prefer a less deep bass heavy response, then try 'EQ2' (with 0/1/2 ports open). The Q control will let you fine tune the frequency response for any given operating mode. My preference is usually a lower Q value between 0.3 to 0.5

The driver surround is similar to the treated foam surround on the ULS-15 driver. The durability and reliability of these surrounds is vastly improved vs. drivers from many years ago. So the long-term reliability in general should be very good. Note that the standard warranty on the driver is 7 years.

In your room, you should get a pretty flat in-room response as low as ~ 12-16Hz in any of operating modes.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old July 21st, 2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you much
I've heard both the SVS 13 and my pair of 15Hs in my room. (4500^3)
My own personal opinion it was tough to tell the difference between the single SVS and a single 15H in my room. (I have a big room).
We couldn't run REW for graphs due to a bad sound card. Which would have been more informative.
Based on what we listened to I have nothing negative to say about either sub. I really wished we could have done some graphing.
It could be that the SVS could put out a few more DBs at ~15hz.
Assuming for a min that SVS does put out a few more db at ~15hz or even say ~20hz you'd have to decide how much more money it's worth.
For the price of one SVS ultra you could have a pair of 15Hs

IMHO only, i'd sooner have a pair of 15Hs rather than a single SVS.
Keep in mind these subs are more similar than they are different.
Either way I doubt any of those subs will disappoint.

Here is a graph I did today. (be aware that I have a fair bit of room gain to my advantage)

Jim
Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM

beyond 1000 is on a distinguished road
Thank you Hometheatregeek for the nice welcome. I appreciate it very much.

Thank you Cacihome for your good comparisons of the other units. Gives me a chance to place the performance of the HSU. Down to 12hz you say? That is mighty.

Thank you Pete for your in depth analysis. You seem to be in agreement with Cacihome about the VTF 15 going down to 12hz in my room.

Thank you Sputter for the comparison to the SVS 13. No difference in your large room? That must speak volumes for the HSU.

This indeed is a formidable unit with plenty of drive down low which is what I'm looking for.
Old July 26th, 2011, 3:15 PM

gregdpw is on a distinguished road
i would like to get my vtf-15h dialed in within -3 or +3 db with the avr gain. but in order to do that i would have to go below 8 o clock on the subwoofers volume? i dont want to go below 8 o clock right?
Old July 26th, 2011, 5:16 PM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post
i would like to get my vtf-15h dialed in within -3 or +3 db with the avr gain. but in order to do that i would have to go below 8 o clock on the subwoofers volume? i dont want to go below 8 o clock right?
Why? What you do not realize is the newer subwoofer amps are very sensitive. In your room the amp works better then in other rooms so there is no harm and in fact better for you to run the amp at 8:00.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old July 26th, 2011, 6:22 PM

Does it really matter if it's in the negative by -6 db on the avr? Also with both ports open will I get the deepest bass?

Last edited by cacihome : July 28th, 2011 at 7:08 AM.
Old July 27th, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post
Does it really matter if it's in the negative by -6 db on the avr? Also with both ports open will I get the deepest bass?

No, it does not matter, as long as you calibrate.

WIth both ports open you will get stronger bass, deeper bass will come from 1 port open at the expense of some midbass/upper bass dbs...
You have some mad editing skills Caci, how did you mangage to edit Gregs post?

Last edited by cacihome : July 28th, 2011 at 7:09 AM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Greg,

It is just fine to have the subwoofer channel level on the A/V receiver be something more or less than 0dB. That said, if the volume knob on the subwoofer is relatively high, and the subwoofer channel level on the A/V receiver is relatively low, then the Auto-On functionality may not work as well.

With respect to the VTF-15H, you should connect to one low level (left or right) rca input, set volume knob to ~ 9 o'clock (or a bit less if you wish), set crossover to 'Out', and then you can adjust subwoofer channel level on the A/V receiver to your tastes.

Sincerely,
Old July 28th, 2011, 2:22 AM

so if the avr setting is below -3 db it wont effect sound quality as long as its calibrated to 3 db above my speakers right?
Old July 28th, 2011, 7:10 AM

Quote:
You have some mad editing skills Caci, how did you mangage to edit Gregs post?
Sorry my bad! HAHAH
Old July 29th, 2011, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post
Sorry my bad! HAHAH
You must have admin privs then.
Old July 29th, 2011, 1:49 PM

Old July 29th, 2011, 1:50 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
You must have admin privs then.
Name:  shhh.gif
Views: 6301
Size:  3.1 KB

Old July 29th, 2011, 5:43 PM
Hsu Research

Back when we used to have international dealers, we had a section on the Hsu forum for Puerto Rican dealer, so we gave Cacimar moderator priviledges. Looks like our friend caci used that to good use here
Old July 30th, 2011, 7:03 PM
Ask for a demo

Glad to hear he uses his powers for good and not evil

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM

Hi all

Received my 2 vtf-15h subs a week in a half or so ago. Boy everybody was right when you expect them to be big but once they get here there bigger then you expect. One of the boxes was a bit damaged on the corners when it arrived so was nervous when i unpacked it but was happy to see not a single scratch. Man are they nice. I drool everytime i look at them my wife thinks im nuts. I don't have them in there final home untill my man cave is finished being built so i just have them put in my very open living room with really no calibration or proper placement and even with that they sound amazing. Watching transformers where you can see the blast wave from the cannon heading to the screen being followed up with being smacked in the face with sound is so cool. I thought i could feel my old subs and this only with half volume. Simply amazing. Cant imagine what it will be like when broken in, higher volume, properly setup and in a way smaller room.

Now to a question hopefully someone can help me with. Noticed a hum in my speakers and subs. Subs on no connections no hum. Subs connected to receiver and on no hum. Xbox and ps3 hooked up to receiver turned on i get the hum. I just want to make sure that the steps i took were right to make sure it isn't the subs and see if anyone else has had this problem. Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it to no avail. Will this hurt my speakers and subs. Not sure if it was happening with my other subs as the volume level was not as high and never noticed.

Tried new power bar, power conditioner (i know a waste but had to try), new hdmi cords, unplugged and hooked everything back up. Can't seen to get rid of it. Weirdly when i play games or movies on ps3 and pause i can hear the hum when i use netflix on ps3 and pause no hum.

Any help would be apreciated. Mostly concerned to know that its not my subs and if it will hurt my equipment.

Thanks
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hi all

Received my 2 vtf-15h subs a week in a half or so ago. Boy everybody was right when you expect them to be big but once they get here there bigger then you expect. One of the boxes was a bit damaged on the corners when it arrived so was nervous when i unpacked it but was happy to see not a single scratch. Man are they nice. I drool everytime i look at them my wife thinks im nuts. I don't have them in there final home untill my man cave is finished being built so i just have them put in my very open living room with really no calibration or proper placement and even with that they sound amazing. Watching transformers where you can see the blast wave from the cannon heading to the screen being followed up with being smacked in the face with sound is so cool. I thought i could feel my old subs and this only with half volume. Simply amazing. Cant imagine what it will be like when broken in, higher volume, properly setup and in a way smaller room.

Now to a question hopefully someone can help me with. Noticed a hum in my speakers and subs. Subs on no connections no hum. Subs connected to receiver and on no hum. Xbox and ps3 hooked up to receiver turned on i get the hum. I just want to make sure that the steps i took were right to make sure it isn't the subs and see if anyone else has had this problem. Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it to no avail. Will this hurt my speakers and subs. Not sure if it was happening with my other subs as the volume level was not as high and never noticed.

Tried new power bar, power conditioner (i know a waste but had to try), new hdmi cords, unplugged and hooked everything back up. Can't seen to get rid of it. Weirdly when i play games or movies on ps3 and pause i can hear the hum when i use netflix on ps3 and pause no hum.

Any help would be apreciated. Mostly concerned to know that its not my subs and if it will hurt my equipment.

Thanks
Best guess is a ground loop issue.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:31 PM

Another graph with SMS doing the EQ.
Attached Images

Old August 3rd, 2011, 2:51 AM

cyprusrom is on a distinguished road
Smile Clibrating the new VTF-15H

Hello everyone, I am a newly proud owner of a VTF-15H. I tried setting it up last night, however, run out of time(people went to sleep in the house!). My setup now is kind of an "odd" collection: an Onkyo HT-RC270 , an old pair of JBL G400(they were free, couldn't say no), a center Polk CS2 series II, and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II, and a newly VTF-15H. I know, it's probably an "odd" mix, but that's what I have. I have the following settings on the SUB: Volume at 9 o'clock, 1 port open, EQ2 Q=0.5 ,Phase 0 Crossover set to OUT. I ran Audissey, 5 listening positions, and it set the front speakers to 40Hz, the center to 40Hz, the surrounds to 90Hz, and the LPF of LFE? to 120Hz, with the sub at -6dB. Does that look alright? The sound was rather low, had to crank the volume on the receiver at about 55(normally I would use it at about 35). I changed the fronts and center to 80Hz, and now the entire system volume is louder. I can listen with the volume on the receiver at about 35-40. However, the sub was still barely audible. On the AVR, I changed from -6dB to +4dB, and the sub volume knob to about 12 o'clock, and now I can hear some subwoofer, but still no shaking off the wall; actually, the sub sounds kinda shy, it seems I hear it once in a while. I only got to play Spiderman I and some explosions scenes from Die Hard 4 yet. Can someone give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cyprusrom : August 3rd, 2011 at 4:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:29 PM
Hsu Research

Hi cyprusrom,

Before running Audyssey, you should set the following settings on the VTF subwoofer: connect to one rca (left or right) low level input, set volume knob to ~ 9 o'clock (~ 1/4 of the way up), set phase to '0', set operating mode switch to 'EQ1' (making sure to plug one port only on the front of the subwoofer), set crossover switch to 'Out'. Then, after running Audyssey, manually change the operating mode switch to 'EQ2' (especially if you want more mid-bass punch), and manually change crossover frequency to 80Hz for all speakers and subwoofer on the A/V receiver. Finally, feel free to adjust subwoofer channel level on the A/V receiver upwards or downwards in 1dB increments to your tastes (no need to mess around with the subwoofer volume knob). And with respect to placement of the subwoofer, try to place it in a well enclosed corner that is furthest away from any large openings.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM

turbojohngt is on a distinguished road
Well I've always been a Velodyne owner, I sold my DLS-R 5000 and was planning to go with a Elemental Designs A7S-450 but between never hearing a sealed 18" and have (always been a fan of ported) and the indefinite backorder of the LT-1300 I was on the fence so to speak. So I figured screw it, I'm gonna keep a eye out for a DD-18 and bite the $2000-$2500 bullet. Then I came across the sub shootout on the AVS forums done by Madaeel comparing all the ID sub vendors and there 15-18" subs (These guys definitely deserve a beer or two for that thread IMO) Between that read as well as other VTF-15H owners beaming with shear amazment about this ONLY 350 watt rms sub, Well I crossed my fingers and pulled the pin. 6 days later my friend and I started unpacking what I thought was a fridge accidentally wrapped in a HSU shipping box When we got the last piece stripped off my friend and I let out simultaneous "HOLY SH#T" this thing is almost twice the size of my DLSR-5000! And the finish...Oh baby the finish...it`s like a BMW with no wheels...sexiest sub i`ve ever seen, its a work of art! Wasted no time setting it up and running my Anthem ARC to smooth the curve of those nasty peaks with one port open and set to EQ1 (Thanks Pete!) Final settings are now both ports open, eq2, Q control .4. Dear sweet Jebus.....this thing is just fricking amazing! Its just sooooooooooooooooo clean and smooth with ZERO distortion and pounds you like you`ve been hit by a freight train...twice all from 350 watts rms.....that just boggles my brain pan to no end lol. If your debating on this sub trust me just do it there`s now way in hell you`ll be disappointed it`s just incredible in every way, christ even my Bulldog loves the breeze and massage from the ports lol! Lastly I`d like to thank you Pete! Your reputation for customer service is TRULY second to none sir

Cheers, John
Attached Images

Old August 7th, 2011, 6:03 PM

domingos35 is on a distinguished road
i am going to place my order for 1 VTF-15 soon and another by end of year
does it have a LFE input?
how exactly do i set it up before i run audessey on my onkyo 707?

thanks
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohngt View Post
Well I've always been a Velodyne owner, I sold my DLS-R 5000 and was planning to go with a Elemental Designs A7S-450 but between never hearing a sealed 18" and have (always been a fan of ported) and the indefinite backorder of the LT-1300 I was on the fence so to speak. So I figured screw it, I'm gonna keep a eye out for a DD-18 and bite the $2000-$2500 bullet. Then I came across the sub shootout on the AVS forums done by Madaeel comparing all the ID sub vendors and there 15-18" subs (These guys definitely deserve a beer or two for that thread IMO) Between that read as well as other VTF-15H owners beaming with shear amazment about this ONLY 350 watt rms sub, Well I crossed my fingers and pulled the pin. 6 days later my friend and I started unpacking what I thought was a fridge accidentally wrapped in a HSU shipping box When we got the last piece stripped off my friend and I let out simultaneous "HOLY SH#T" this thing is almost twice the size of my DLSR-5000! And the finish...Oh baby the finish...it`s like a BMW with no wheels...sexiest sub i`ve ever seen, its a work of art! Wasted no time setting it up and running my Anthem ARC to smooth the curve of those nasty peaks with one port open and set to EQ1 (Thanks Pete!) Final settings are now both ports open, eq2, Q control .4. Dear sweet Jebus.....this thing is just fricking amazing! Its just sooooooooooooooooo clean and smooth with ZERO distortion and pounds you like you`ve been hit by a freight train...twice all from 350 watts rms.....that just boggles my brain pan to no end lol. If your debating on this sub trust me just do it there`s now way in hell you`ll be disappointed it`s just incredible in every way, christ even my Bulldog loves the breeze and massage from the ports lol! Lastly I`d like to thank you Pete! Your reputation for customer service is TRULY second to none sir

Cheers, John
Thank you so much for sharing this John, I truly appreciate it, and I'm so glad that you are getting a good result!

I noticed that your main speaker is near the side wall on the outside of the subwoofer. Have you ever tried placing the speaker on the inside of the subwoofer, with the subwoofer tucked away in the corner?

Thanks again, my pleasure to help at any time!

Sincerely,
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Hsu Research

Hi domingos, nice to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos35 View Post
i am going to place my order for 1 VTF-15 soon and another by end of year
does it have a LFE input?
how exactly do i set it up before i run audessey on my onkyo 707?

thanks
The VTF subs have left and right low level rca inputs. When feeding from a single subwoofer pre-out on the A/V receiver, one needs to feed to either left or right low level rca input on the VTF amp. Either input is fine, no need to use a y-splitter.

Before running Audyssey, use the following settings on the VTF amp: connect to one rca input, set volume knob to ~ 1/4 of the way up, set phase to '0', set operating mode switch to 'EQ1' setting (making sure to insert one port plug into one of the VTF subwoofer ports), set crossover to 'Out', set power switch to 'Auto'. After running Audyssey, feel free to experiment by manually flipping the operating mode switch to 'EQ2'. Also check the settings on the A/V receiver to make sure that none of the speakers are set to "Large" or "Full Band".

Sincerely,
Old August 9th, 2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohngt View Post

Cheers, John
I recall a similar reaction when I got my first one in Rosenut. It was a lot bigger than I had envisioned.
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
It was a lot bigger than I had envisioned.
..........the guys at Hsu hear that a lot!!!!
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hsu Research

No doubt

There are some things that people can do to make the subwoofer less visually obtrusive. In the normal orientation, the subwoofer is quite deep, so if one has enough width then they can rotate the enclosure 90 degrees to minimize depth. Alternatively, one can put a soft pad on top and place a plant or lamp or other decorative items on top. And in other cases one can use the subwoofer on the side of the couch (as an endtable) or sideways directly behind the couch. I've seen some people get a glass piece cut for their subwoofer, and that looks really nice.
Old August 19th, 2011, 9:25 PM

Small hum

Juts wondering when your 15h is plugged in nothing connected and volume turned up to high do you get a small hum. Is this normal or should I worry.
Old August 20th, 2011, 9:50 AM
Ask for a demo

Never tried this, but when in use the volume on the 15H shouldn't really need to be set past about 25%. The amp is very sensitive.

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM

victor Llorens is on a distinguished road
VTF stopped workin

I just found out today Saturday the sub stopped working, the green light goes on /red on when receiver is off, tried receiver MCACC function to go over speaker levels , no sound out of sub, un-plugged it, let it sit for about 10 minutes, re-plugged, tried it, no sound. Light still goes on, no sound, nothing. Please help, sub was bought January 2011. Have been very pleased with itís performance coming off a Velodyne F1500 which I have owned for over 16 years until it finally stopped working & repairable ( servo shot). VTF rocks! until today....Help!!

Equipment:
Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX receiver
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVD player
Panasonic TC-P50G25 PLASMA
Panasonic DMP BDT210 BLU RAY
JBL S38 main speakers
JBL S center channel
JBL L20t rears
HSU VTF-15 sub
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ask for a demo

Sounds like the amp may have gone out. Contact Hsu http://www.hsuresearch.com/contact.html and they can ship you a new amp

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Hsu Research

Hey victor, go ahead and send an email to techsupport<at>hsuresearch<dot>com, and we will go through some troubleshooting steps.

Thanks!
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Juts wondering when your 15h is plugged in nothing connected and volume turned up to high do you get a small hum. Is this normal or should I worry.
This is normal. When the volume knob is turned up on these high gain amps, the low level noise increases. So the best thing to do would be to keep the subwoofer volume knob ~ 1/4 of the way up, and then adjust the subwoofer channel level upwards on the A/V receiver in 1dB increments to your tastes.

Sincerely,
Old August 20th, 2011, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Hey victor, go ahead and send an email to techsupport<at>hsuresearch<dot>com, and we will go through some troubleshooting steps.

Thanks!
i did send email to tech support....Thanx!!
Old August 20th, 2011, 2:18 PM
Ask for a demo

Don't worry Victor. Hsu's customer service is the best there is. They'll take care of you

Old August 20th, 2011, 3:14 PM

have no doubt their customer servise is tops from all the comments in this & other forums....
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM

a1uc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hello all,

I am very proud to introduce the new VTF-15H Variable Tuning Frequency 15" Hybrid True Subwoofer!

This product has been in development for more than 2 years. Almost everything was designed from the ground up. The driver design, amplifier design, enclosure design, port design, grille design, and feet design were all done in-house from the ground up by Hsu Research. Up until today, all listening tests (and measurements) were done internally at Hsu Research.

One of the most interesting and unique aspects of this design is the new triangular port structure. The triangular ports have integrated flares that are continuously flared at both ends of the port. In our internal testing, amazingly enough, these triangular ports showed significantly less port noise at moderate-to-high playback levels vs. comparably sized round heavily flared ports! In addition to providing the foundation for variable port tuning, these ports brace the largest panels of the enclosure. Compared to thin wide rectangular slot ports, the point of bracing is more optimal, and the ratio of cross-section-to-surface area tends to be more optimal too.

Here is what was presented at our Open House for this new product launch:

Product Pricing: $879 base price in Satin Black finish, $999 base price in Rosenut real wood veneer finish (fully veneered on all panels) best-in-class pricing on large non-vinyl black enclosure and best-in-class pricing on large fully veneered enclosure

Product Warranty: 7 years on driver, up to 5 years on electronics (2 years standard), +$100 for extended warranty on electronics, warranty is transferable, best-in-class warranty coverage

Driver Design: 15” front-firing custom-made driver, designed from the ground up for exceptionally flat frequency response and low distortion, best-in-class response linearity

Amplifier Design: 1400w short-term, 350w continuous high headroom amplifier designed from the ground up with custom EQ, soft clipping, subsonic filtering, class A/B output stage, phase switch, 24dB/oct low-pass adjustable crossover, continuously adjustable Q, best-in-class amplifier feature set

Enclosure Design: 25”x18”x26” HxWxD (add 1” H for feet, 1” D for grille, 1” D for amp controls) enclosure designed from the ground up with rounded corners and smooth edges, non-vinyl finishes, front-firing radiating elements, internal bracing on all panels, ultra-high grade acoustic foam internal lining, state-of-the-art enclosure design with cutting-edge industrial design

Port Design: Dual front-firing triangular slot ports, designed from the ground up with large cross-sectional area, continuously flared on both ends, used for variable tuning and for bracing the enclosure, unique and innovative patent-pending port design

Grille Design: 1” deep V-shaped cloth grille, designed from the ground up to be contoured and not cover the ports, with solid metal pins to fit soft rubber grommets, distinctive and attractive grille design

Feet Design: 1” tall and 2.5” diameter silicone disc feet, designed from the ground up to be soft and durable, suitable for all flooring surfaces, practical and flexible feet design

Hybrid Tuning: Support for five different operating modes, including both ported and sealed hybrid modes, best-in-class operating mode flexibility

Frequency Response: +/- 2dB from 15-200Hz in ported max extension mode (measured outside, Q = 0.7), best-in-class upper/mid/deep bass frequency response linearity

Output Capability: 123-125dB max clean CEA2010 peak output capability from 40-100Hz, 121dB @ 31.5Hz, 118dB @ 25Hz, 114dB @ 20Hz (measured outside @ 1m distance, both ports open), best-in-class max clean peak output capability using CEA2010 stepped harmonic distortion limits
I just got my VTH-15H today cant wait to get home from work and hook it up

Last edited by a1uc : August 23rd, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Hey Pete, woofer was shipped out today, hope the turn-around will be quick as it is mighty quiet at home these days...
Old August 24th, 2011, 9:44 PM
Hsu Research

Thanks Victor!
Old August 26th, 2011, 9:39 AM

I'm trying to picture how large the 15H is. If I figured this correctly it is 28 inches deep when you include the grill and amp controls. I would also assume you would need 1 inch clearance between the amp controls and the wall. Am I correct in figuring that including the clearance between the amp controls and the wall the 15H will stick out 29 inches from the wall?
Old August 26th, 2011, 1:16 PM
Ask for a demo

kinggimp, 28" with grill and amp sounds about right. I'll be home in about 2 hrs so unless Pete or someone else answers, I'll measure mine and post the depth with grill and amp in a few hrs.

Old August 26th, 2011, 1:39 PM
Hsu Research

That is correct. The 15H enclosure is 26" deep, and then add 1" depth for the grille. You only need to give 1-2" space behind the unit for amp controls and proper ventilation. So the amount of floorspace depth needed is about 28".
Old August 28th, 2011, 7:57 PM

Other than the reviews posted on Audioholics and Sound and Vision, does anyone know of any other professional reviews of the 15H? Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2011, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Other than the reviews posted on Audioholics and Sound and Vision, does anyone know of any other professional reviews of the 15H? Thanks!
No way in hell that the AH review is a professional review. Aside from the graphs, the actual "review" was as far from a pro review as it gets.
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Sputter, although I agree with your sentiments, Audioholics is still a professional site/group of reviewers. That's why I included it in my post! : )
Old August 30th, 2011, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Sputter, although I agree with your sentiments, Audioholics is still a professional site/group of reviewers. That's why I included it in my post! : )
I won't beat a dead horse . Ricci is a breath of fresh air in the creditability department for AH sub reviews.

To answer your question, I haven't seen any. In the Sept issue of Home Theater there is an article "Question of Balance" (iirc). HSU gets a good reference.
No subs are mentioned just a plug for the HSU subs in general.
It's a decent article if you were starting from scratch.
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Hsu Research

Tom Norton does have a VTF-15H for review too, but still in progress...
Old September 2nd, 2011, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Tom Norton does have a VTF-15H for review too, but still in progress...
Pete, who is he?
Old September 4th, 2011, 6:21 PM
Hsu Research

Hey Jim,

Tom (also known as Thomas J. Norton) has written many reviews in the past for Stereophile, Home Theater Mag, and other publications, and is very well known and respected in the industry.

Sincerely,
Old September 5th, 2011, 9:50 AM

Hey Everyone,

I have a silly little question that I think I know the answer to, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm new to high-end audio, but I have heard a few high end systems at various places. One thing that I have noticed with some systems is that if the sub is placed on one side of the room, the deep drum beats in music can sound like they are coming from the other side of the room, even though the sub is on the opposite side. Is this effect common with high end subs and does the 15H deliver it? Where does crossover come into play in regards to this issue?

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because my current system utilizes a rather low-end sub, and while my front L/R are crossed over at 80hz, I am still able to localize the sub rather easily. Perhaps a low quality sub doesn't blend as well with other speakers as a quality sub and speakers would? It's frustrating hearing the top end of a drum beat come from the left speaker and the low end come from the right side of my room!

I'm currently saving up for a 15H (should be able to buy in November or so) and looking to eventually pair it with some Aperion speakers. I'd just like to make sure that the 15H is one of those subs that disappears into the room (from a localization standpoint)!

Thanks!
Old September 6th, 2011, 1:13 PM

jephdood is on a distinguished road
Guess who has two thumbs and is ordering one of these babies today...

(you can't see it, but I'm doing the "this guy" thing right now)

Edit: Done deal. Ships tomorrow. w00t!!

Last edited by jephdood : September 6th, 2011 at 4:07 PM.
Old September 6th, 2011, 2:24 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I have a silly little question that I think I know the answer to, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm new to high-end audio, but I have heard a few high end systems at various places. One thing that I have noticed with some systems is that if the sub is placed on one side of the room, the deep drum beats in music can sound like they are coming from the other side of the room, even though the sub is on the opposite side. Is this effect common with high end subs and does the 15H deliver it? Where does crossover come into play in regards to this issue?

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because my current system utilizes a rather low-end sub, and while my front L/R are crossed over at 80hz, I am still able to localize the sub rather easily. Perhaps a low quality sub doesn't blend as well with other speakers as a quality sub and speakers would? It's frustrating hearing the top end of a drum beat come from the left speaker and the low end come from the right side of my room!

I'm currently saving up for a 15H (should be able to buy in November or so) and looking to eventually pair it with some Aperion speakers. I'd just like to make sure that the 15H is one of those subs that disappears into the room (from a localization standpoint)!

Thanks!
Typically 80Hz or below will cause bass to be non-localized. I've owned 4 Hsu subs and with each one I couldn't tell where the bass was coming from. Each of my subs was in the front corner behind my front left speaker. I now have the 15H and I can't tell where the bass is coming from. It blends perfectly with my other speakers. BTW it's an incredible sub and you won't regret your purchase.

Old September 6th, 2011, 2:26 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

You may only have two thumbs but I'm holding up two for you too. Congrats on the new arrival and post back with your impressions.

Old September 6th, 2011, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!
At 80hz my first 15H wasn't pinpointable neither are my pair of 15Hs. Typically no sub should be pinpointable with proper placement. (subs are not throw anywhere items)
I run my crossover at 100hz due to a flatter response overall.

Last edited by Sputter : September 6th, 2011 at 2:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old September 6th, 2011, 9:41 PM

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old September 6th, 2011, 9:56 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Edit: Done deal. Ships tomorrow. w00t!!
Sweet, thanks jephdood, great to see you in this thread!

Sincerely,
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hsu Research

When it comes to localizing a subwoofer, there are several things that can contribute to that: 1) Crossover frequency. The higher the crossover frequency, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 2) Crossover slope. The less steep the low-pass crossover slope, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 3) Subwoofer level. The higher the subwoofer level relative to that of the main speakers, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 4) Subwoofer location. The farther away the subwoofer location is from that of the main speakers, and the closer the subwoofer location is to other objects in the room that are vibrating, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer.

Sincerely,
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:41 AM
DavidD

Quote:
When it comes to localizing a subwoofer, there are several things that can contribute to that: 1) Crossover frequency. The higher the crossover frequency, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 2) Crossover slope. The less steep the low-pass crossover slope, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 3) Subwoofer level. The higher the subwoofer level relative to that of the main speakers, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer; 4) Subwoofer location. The farther away the subwoofer location is from that of the main speakers, and the closer the subwoofer location is to other objects in the room that are vibrating, the more likely one will be able to localize the subwoofer.

Sincerely,
The last one is the first one that came to me. You may be hearing vibration or rattling from objects near your sub.
Old September 7th, 2011, 9:05 AM

I guess another question that I should ask then is this: Are there certain subwoofers that are more easily localizable than others? Or is it all dependent on crossover, crossover slope, and the placement/objects near or in the room?
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Subwoofers that produce mechanical vibrations themselves, to answer your question. Such as those little subs with powerful amps and high excursions drivers that can actually bounce around when driven hard enough. Sometimes enclosures with too little bracing or weight can rattle during the subwoofers use. These are more designs issues than subwoofer "types", but I would guess they tend to be sealed subs since sealed relies more on raw driver excursion. Ported subs can also produce their own localizable noise in the form of "port chuffing". In any expertly designed sub though, such as Hsu, you won't have to worry about these problems.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM

scottfox is on a distinguished road
Anyone in the D/FW area own a 15H & willing to give a demo. Currently have a VTF2.3 & looking to upgrade. Also considering CHASE 18" sealed sub, but my room is open thru a doorway to the kitchen & rest of the house, so not sure if I want to go sealed. Also, it's that mid-bass slam that I am really looking for, & the shootout said the HSU was tops for that.
Old September 7th, 2011, 1:56 PM

Scottfox, how do you like your VTF2.3? I'm putting together a 70/30 music/movies home theater for a friend of mine and the vtf2.3 is one of the subs we are looking at in his price range.
Old September 7th, 2011, 5:57 PM

Interesting read

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...-bass?page=0,0

Jim
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hsu Research

Thumbs up

A huge thumbs up to Brent for going through all the time, effort, and expense in his analysis of the CEA2010 data! It is amazing how open minded and thoughtful he is.

Looks like his new data set is within ~ 1dB of the data that Dr. Hsu had provided, which is very close. Most likely this 1dB difference is due in part to the correction factor between park and home, as I believe that Dr. Hsu provided CEA2010 data from our facility with no correction factor between park and our facility.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jim!

Sincerely,
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:29 PM

Quote:
A huge thumbs up to Brent for going through all the time, effort, and expense in his analysis of the CEA2010 data! It is amazing how open minded and thoughtful he is.

Looks like his new data set is within ~ 1dB of the data that Dr. Hsu had provided, which is very close. Most likely this 1dB difference is due in part to the correction factor between park and home, as I believe that Dr. Hsu provided CEA2010 data from our facility with no correction factor between park and our facility.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jim!

Sincerely,
Darryl, posted that link on AVSforums under the 15H thread. I leeched it from him.
Old September 15th, 2011, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Victor!
Pete, sorry i did not reply back as i finally got the woofer replacement back, all put back together, and playing again! have to break it in carefully again as i do notice a difference from the original one with some mileage on it compare to this new one...going thru my list of favorite personnal bass heavy music & movies....
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hsu Research

Good to hear that you are up and running Victor!
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM

My VTF-15H Review

Disclaimer: I'm not expert, so these are just my amateur impressions! Enjoy!

Intro:
As of this past summer, Iíd been researching subwoofers for about two years before making a purchase as I wanted to be sure to buy the right sub on the first try! I had narrowed my options down to either the HSU VTF-15H or the Rythmik FV15. They seemed to be very similar, except that maybe the Rythmik was a little bit more accurate and dug a little deeper, and the HSU was cheaper, more indestructible, and shook things more. In the end, I was really looking for a sub that would shake things up while providing good extension and sound quality. So HSU was the winner. After that was decided, I just needed to save up the money for the purchase. Thatís when I was contacted by Adam from the famous ďEthan and Adamís 5-Sub Shootout ď last February. He offered me a really good deal to buy THE sub from THE shootout! Who can pass that up? So before I knew it I had a gently used 15H show up at my house carried by a Fed Ex guy cursing under his breath as be brought it to my door.

A Quick Note on WAF:
My wife is awesome, and she loves me a lot! Her first words upon seeing the new sub were: ďOh my word. Thatís huge. If I didnít love you so much I would make you send it back right now!Ē This sub IS huge. But the finish is nice, and it sounds great too. I asked her how she felt about it after we had it for a month and she said, ďI hate how big it is, but I love how it sounds!Ē Love you babe!

Setup:
I have this sub running off of a Marantz 6005. I donít have any sort of outboard EQ, but I did run MultEQ on the sub a week or so after getting it. Thus far, my favorite setting is both ports open and a Q of .7. I used an SPL meter to measure response in my room and itís nowhere near perfect, but is still really enjoyable to listen to! Iím strongly considering buying some kind of outboard EQ in the future to flatten out the response. Also, there is currently only one spot in my room that the sub can go, so I wasnít able to play around with the subís position to see if that helped flatten the response out at all.

So, as you read my review, be aware that:
- I have no outboard EQ fixing peaks and nulls
- I only have one place to put the sub, and this may or may not be the best place for my room

Due to all of that, my experiences so far with this sub may or may not be the same as you would get in your room, especially if you have the means to EQ the sub or try different locations in your room.

What I Was Looking For:
There were quite a few things that I was looking for in a sub. I think the thing that I was most looking for was a sub that provided a lot of tactile feel. I was tired of not being able to feel explosions and the like as much as I wanted to. But I was also looking for a sub that had great sound quality and extension as well. What good is a sub if it shakes things but sounds terrible doing it? I knew that a good sub can do some pretty crazy things, so I wanted to make sure that I got a sub that was near indestructible so that I didnít break it after a week of owning it. I also wanted a sub that had great build quality and aesthetics.

What I Got:

Tactile Feel:
This sub definitely can shake things up! From the things I had read on the forums I was expecting this sub to crush my lungs or something equally as exciting from the moment I turned it on. Sadly (or happily?) this was not the case. This sub can definitely hit you in the chest, it can shake your room or your couch (or your house), but at normal volumes in my room it doesnít attempt murder with every bass note. For music, I love how it adds so much realism to drum beats. For example, the drum beats in the song ďThose We Donít Speak OfĒ by James Newton Howard in the soundtrack to ďThe VillageĒ were awesome! The sub totally drew me into this song in a very involving way. For movies, just watch any Transformers movie with some friends and it will be hard to get a smile off of your face. In my opinion, action movies are literally ten times more enjoyable now due to this crazy beast sub!

Sound Quality:
This is not something that I was able to notice right away. Having no experience with good quality subs before this, I didnít have much to compare it to. But after listening to various things for a few weeks, I think I began to hear things I hadnít noticed before. The big drums in certain tracks sounded like big drums, kick drums sounded like kick drums, bass guitars sounded like bass guitars. I have no idea if the Rythmik would have sounded better or not, but Iím pleased with how my HSU sounds!

Iíll also mention how well the sub blends with my other speakers in this sound quality section. This sub does a great job blending with my other speakers, drum beats can sound like they are coming from the opposite side of the room from where the sub is, and thatís cool to hear! Right now, I have some smaller satellite speakers, so Iím looking forward to hearing this sub blend with some larger bookshelf or tower speakers when I upgrade!

Extension:
In both ports open mode, the sub doesnít go as deep as in some of the other modes. I can get solidly down into the low 20hz region, but not much less than that with 2 ports open. This is another reason that I want to get an outboard EQ, so I can get below that 20hz mark! Iím a bit sad that I canít get it to play much lower, but I know itís not the subís fault. Iíve seen peopleís graphs showing response well below 15hz, so I know the sub can do it when itís in the right location in the right room. Because Iím location limited and not running an outboard EQ, Iím not going to complain about the extension Iím currently getting. As a side note though, even only playing down to the low 20ís, that is still REALLY low!

Indestructible:
Ethan and Adam probably abused this thing more in their shootout than I have so far during my time of ownership. They said it was indestructible, and Iím inclined to take their work for it. I sure havenít heard it falter or strain or bottom out.

Build Quality:
This thing is heavy! I can move it around by myself without too much trouble though. Doing a knock test on the box reveals a little bit more of a hollow sound than I was expecting, but I canít tell if itís changing the sound of the sub or not. Everything else, the amp plate, driver, etc. seem to be really high quality.

Aesthetics:
The finish is a really nice satin black. I built my own entertainment center and the sub very closely matches its finish, which is nice. The triangle ports are pretty mean looking. Overall, I think itís a great looking sub!

Closing Remarks:
I really enjoy this sub. It makes my music and movies SO much more enjoyable and itís really fun to have friends over to the house and be like ďhey, check this outĒ and then shake everything! Iím sure that this sub could sound better if I added room treatments, an outboard EQ, and was able to try different locations in the room, but for now, it seriously sounds great! Iím really happy with my purchase and Iím sure you would be too if you decided to buy one!
Old November 17th, 2011, 6:23 PM
Hsu Research

Thank you so much for posting such an excellent review jcisbig, I'm thrilled that you like the product! If you ever get a chance to experiment with the different operating modes, we'd love to hear your feedback on that.

Congrats on the purchase!

Sincerely,
Old November 21st, 2011, 7:20 AM

South Park is on a distinguished road
First, I want to say hello to everybody in this forum. I learned about HSU and their products first in another forum and was stunned of the huge amount of awesome feedback about HSU products.

Now here is my story:

Finally, the day had arrived: on five days ago our new star the Hsu VTF-15H Subwoofer was being delivered, and I got to say – the moment was HUGE just like the package!!!

It was flawless, just great, and unpacking went pretty smooth considering size and weight. The Subwoofer itself is a wonderful example of high-tech at its best. The outside is perfect and the surface feels “awesome-o” smooth. I did put on 4 furniture slider pads so I was able to move this beauty easily. I guess I will leave them in place, I don’t think it will hurt the sound.

Btw the VTF-15H replaces a 10 inch Energy subwoofer which was very good in woofing for many years.

Hook up was quick, did a short test to see if everything was alright and working – then I went thru the MCACC and did some testing with the options on the back of the VTF-15H. I found out that
  • 2 ports open
  • EQ 2
  • Volume 9:30
  • Phase 0
  • Q-Control 0.4
  • Crossover 80 Hz (Receiver)
works best for my great room but I will probably continue to try different settings over the next weeks especially with DVD-A and SACD music.

The next day I and my wife were ready for the show! First whole movie we tried “Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon” - it was amazing.

I think the best way to describe the feeling is that it makes you think of 3-D hearing. 3-D visual gives you the impression you are right in the middle and it’s like you can touch things; well, what I mean by 3-D hearing is you “feel” it; its sound waves that feel like you ARE in the middle. It’s palpable and all of the sudden there are layers of sound you have not heard before. It is a totally new experience, a totally new movie; with this sound you live it rather than just watch it. It feels like going from black and white to color and even a step further, colors you did not see before. It’s great and I can completely recommend this Subwoofer to everyone who can fit it in; limited space: you are out of luck ;-)

One thing I am curious about is - why may 2 ports open and operating mode EQ 1 damage the driver? Is the driver with 2 ports open and EQ 2 on the limit?

Thank you HSU for this magnificent subwoofer and its super price tag!
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2011, 7:39 AM

congrats man!
I answered your question in AVS...
Old November 21st, 2011, 7:23 PM
Hsu Research

Very nice South Park, thank you for sharing, congrats on the purchase! We are using fairly similar settings in our own demo room with great results

When both ports are open, the physical port tuning frequency is ~ 22Hz. Below the port tuning frequency, the driver excursion starts to become uncontrolled. With operating mode switch set at 'EQ1', the subsonic filtering doesn't start until ~ 16Hz. So the driver is not adequately protected in the 16-22Hz region with this combination of settings.

Sincerely,
Old November 22nd, 2011, 5:54 AM

Thank you for the explanation. We're very happy with this subwoofer, it is a magnificent piece of workmanship.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 1:23 PM

Pete, you have a picture of the ULS-15 driver on the website, is there an actual picture of the VTF-15H driver?

Thank you
Old November 23rd, 2011, 9:00 AM

Pete,

What's the best mode to have the sub in to get the best results from Audyssey? I'm taking your advice and playing around with some of the other tuning modes and am starting to really like both ports sealed, eq1, q at .7. I just had to turn the sub volume up on my receiver 6dB versus running with both ports open to get a similar output level!

Thanks!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 2:54 PM
Hsu Research

Hi jcis,

Generally the best settings to use before running Audyssey is either 1 port physically open or 0 ports physically open, with 'EQ1' operating mode and Q = 0.7 . That way, Audyssey will need to use as little deep bass boost as possible when EQ'ing. And after running Audyssey, one can always use 'EQ2' and/or lower Q setting to get higher headroom.

Sincerely,
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Thanks Pete, good info!

Hey All,

I think I'd like to add some kind of external EQ system for the 15H to eliminate some of the peaks in my room. I've seen a few users take advantage of the SMS-1 system with good results. Is the SMS-1 the best option for correcting a sub's frequency response, or are there other options I should consider? Thanks!
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hsu Research

Hi jcis,

We have had many customers use SMS-1, AntiMode 8033, AS-EQ1, etc to equalize the in-room response, in addition to the Auto-EQ that is already included on many A/V receivers nowadays.

Sincerely,
Old December 8th, 2011, 8:33 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
I am using an SMS-1 and it works very well. It is very versatile. I've never used any other equalization system except Audyssey, which I didn't care for at all. The SMS-1 is kind of pricey but it is a good all-in-one solution.