HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 8th, 2011, 7:09 PM

malc_345 is on a distinguished road
A Future VTF-15H Owner.

@All

Just wanted to say 'hello' to everyone on the HSU Forum. I actually just put in my order for the HSU VTF-15H a couple of hours ago, and after receiving an email from FedEx, the 'monster' is on it's way to it's new home in Kentucky. I'm really looking forward to the VTF-15H's arrival after reading numerous reviews. Actually, for the past few weeks I had been decided on either the SVS PB13-Ultra or PB12-Plus, but then happened upon a subwoofer shootout that was performed by two members at AVSforum.com. And after reading their review and numerous user reviews, I was sold to say the least! Since my budget was quite tight, I had to really look at the 'price-to-performance' ratio and the HSU definitely won me over. Beyond the 'performance' aspect, I also noticed the customer service provided by Mr. Pete Hsu looking throughout the forum at the way he interacted with clients (and potential buyers) along with his reaction to 'criticism' by particular internet reviews and was impressed by his professionalism, along with Mr. Ryan Hsu addressing questions & inquiries by the public is very encouraging for first-time buyers.

Anyways, I really look forward to having the opportunity to test out this highly regarded sub and to hear about everyone's experiences! Cheers all! And looking forward to demo'ing some LFE masterpieces (i.e. Incredible Hulk, Transformers, etc.) when the HSU arrives!
Old November 9th, 2011, 8:04 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc_345 View Post
@All

Just wanted to say 'hello' to everyone on the HSU Forum. I actually just put in my order for the HSU VTF-15H a couple of hours ago, and after receiving an email from FedEx, the 'monster' is on it's way to it's new home in Kentucky. I'm really looking forward to the VTF-15H's arrival after reading numerous reviews. Actually, for the past few weeks I had been decided on either the SVS PB13-Ultra or PB12-Plus, but then happened upon a subwoofer shootout that was performed by two members at AVSforum.com. And after reading their review and numerous user reviews, I was sold to say the least! Since my budget was quite tight, I had to really look at the 'price-to-performance' ratio and the HSU definitely won me over. Beyond the 'performance' aspect, I also noticed the customer service provided by Mr. Pete Hsu looking throughout the forum at the way he interacted with clients (and potential buyers) along with his reaction to 'criticism' by particular internet reviews and was impressed by his professionalism, along with Mr. Ryan Hsu addressing questions & inquiries by the public is very encouraging for first-time buyers.

Anyways, I really look forward to having the opportunity to test out this highly regarded sub and to hear about everyone's experiences! Cheers all! And looking forward to demo'ing some LFE masterpieces (i.e. Incredible Hulk, Transformers, etc.) when the HSU arrives!

Congrats man!

Welcome to the family, and trust us, you are going to love the VTF-15
Old November 9th, 2011, 9:43 AM

@cacihome

Thanks my friend for the welcome! It is supposed to arrive on November 14th, so I'm really looking forward to the HSU's homecoming here in good ole' KY! It should be quite an experience, not only 'hearing & feeling' it for the first time....but also unloading it out of it's box.

Cheers!
Old November 9th, 2011, 9:19 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the forum malc, congrats on the 15H purchase! We are very much looking forward to first impressions!

Sincerely,
Old November 16th, 2011, 8:54 AM

@Pete Hsu

Thanks for your message sir.

I have a 'quick-take' review of my recently delivered HSU VTF-15H...By 'quick-take' review, I mean, one word....

BREATHTAKING!

I believe it deserves a much more in-depth review, but for now, I'm just absolutely astounded by the performance of this sub. If anyone questions its performance based on the BASH amplifier being rated at 350Watts versus other brands that give out 'higher wattage'....Well, don't believe the hype....This sub can fill the room with 'thumping' bass and send shock-waves through your HT!

One example that I will expound upon in a later review is the campus fight scene in The Incredible Hulk with the "sonic waves" hitting The Hulk. UN-freakin'-BELIEVABLE!!! The accuracy of the bass, it's effortless bass output, and just the overall 'chest thumping' experience was such an amazing HT moment for this newbie....

All I have to say is....THANK YOU HSU Research! Now all I can think about is....a second HSU VTF-15H!

And I have got to say this....even my wife was impressed with the finish of the sub. She was amazed at the size, but really noted the craftsmanship of the VTF-15H! Yep, WAF, check!!!!
Old November 17th, 2011, 5:32 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
That is simply awesome malc, I really can't thank you enough for sharing these wonderful first impressions! I agree that this truly is one amazing subwoofer. And the fact that your wife approves of the build quality and sound quality makes it all the more gratifying too.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
So Malc, what have been your impressions of the VTF-15h now that youve had it for a couple months?

I picked my 15H & MBM from HSU around the same time you did. I let them break-in, tested all placement options, figured out the best settings for my room & finalized with a little EQing.

Once i got the bass as flat as i could i ran through some of the typical "Scenes!".....GASP!!!! Just kick@ss!!!

What i find incredible about the VTF-15h is how clean the bass is not only at low to mid level volumes but even when pushed hard it just wont loose its composure!!

Also, when people compare different subs power ratings to each other it cracks me up. This driver is so sensative, the 350watt BASH amp has PLENTY of juice to fill my very large area with great bass. (8000cuft combined rooms) I still need to get the SPL meter out during some of the peaks during some movies so i cant say just how loud its getting but it sure does throw a huge grin on my face

I can at least say that from 16hz to 250hz im within 2dB throughout...thats pretty flat to me,

Well i hope your enjoying the sub as much as i am. I will try to get some actual peak measurements to post for those who like seeing numbers.
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter

Last edited by TimmyD : January 17th, 2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM

OZZ is on a distinguished road
I placed an order for mine Saturday 21 and anxiously waiting will posts results after it arrives.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 3:36 PM

jsgrise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
I placed an order for mine Saturday 21 and anxiously waiting will posts results after it arrives.
Nice! Can't wait to order my second one! The VTF-15H is a great sub for the price. Sure you can find some better subs out there, but sometimes for the price of several VTF-15Hs! Multiple subs will win over a better sub.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 8:34 PM

I just need one for my application its replacing my Velo CT-150 that died and I was happy with it so I should be in audio nirvana with the VTF.
Old January 24th, 2012, 5:52 AM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
Ozz:
Im sure your gonna love the 15H. Remember though that brand new subs need some time to break-in!! Sounds like you may have had that Velo for a while & im assuming that you havent owned a new sub for some time. On average, a new sub will take about 30-40hrs to get settled in & about 100hrs (of use) to be at its peak performance.

When i first got into this hobby i satrted off with my first 3 subs being used. It wasnt until i got dual Earthquake 12" subs new that i experienced break-in. When i first hooked them up i was pretty underwelmed. But as they broke-in they really improved. Then i sold those & got my VTf-15H & MBM-12. I wasnt underwelmed by any means when i first got the HSU subs. They sounded great right out of the box. But glad to say they got even better over time. Took me about a month or so for them to really shine!!

After they break-in youll want to rerun whatever auto calibration system you have (Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC etc) & Welcome to the HSU Family!!

jsgrise:
Isnt it funny how much we are impressed with new subs but still want more!? Haha im in the same boat! Im thinkin i want to add a second VTF-15h & also a second MBM-12!!

Im getting pretty rediculous bass response with just 1 of each but i cant help wonder what 2 of each would sound like. Who knows, i may never do it but i sure would love to.

Glad to hear your loving your 15H!!! It really is the best <$900 sub on the market IMHO!! ENJOY!!!!
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter
Old January 24th, 2012, 8:27 AM

I think from what I read and HSU's reputation I will enjoy the VTF for years
and the CT was purchased in 99 I think. I went against my rule of thumb and did not look at the caps which usually go bad at the 10yr mark they were bloated and the damage already done.
I feel like a child on Christmas Eve waiting for delivery.
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:16 AM

Mine arrived at 9;30 this morning had it up and in place by 10:00 and all I can say is this is one mean sub I just thought I had bass before.
Still playing with settings and music selections can definitely say I don't need two of them in my house one gets the job done.
I used corner placement with the ports open EQ2/Q=0.3 for now.
To say I am happy is an understatement with both aesthetics and sound.
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:07 PM

jsgrise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
Ozz:
jsgrise:
Isnt it funny how much we are impressed with new subs but still want more!? Haha im in the same boat! Im thinkin i want to add a second VTF-15h & also a second MBM-12!!

Im getting pretty rediculous bass response with just 1 of each but i cant help wonder what 2 of each would sound like. Who knows, i may never do it but i sure would love to.

Glad to hear your loving your 15H!!! It really is the best <$900 sub on the market IMHO!! ENJOY!!!!
I'm thinking of stacking 2 VTF-15h pretty soon