HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Introducing the VTF-3 MK4

Hello all,

HSU Research is proud to introduce the VTF-3 MK4. The VTF-3 MK4 takes the popular VTF-3 MK3 and delivers more. With added Q control, the VTF-3 MK4 offers customers the ability to adjust the deep bass response of the subwoofer. This means that customers can experience tighter mid bass and higher headroom with a lower Q control, or boosted deep bass with a higher Q control. In addition, the VTF-3 MK4 includes two port plugs, allowing for a Sealed operating mode as well as Ported.

Product Pricing: Introductory $699 base price for the Satin Black finish, $799 base price for the Rosenut real wood veneer finish.

Product Warranty: 7 years on driver, up to 5 years on electronics (2 years standard), +$80 for extended warranty on electronics, warranty is transferable, best-in-class warranty coverage.

Driver Design: 12” side-firing custom-made driver.

Amplifier Design: 1400w short-term, 350w continuous high headroom amplifier designed from the ground up with custom EQ, soft clipping, subsonic filtering, class A/B output stage, phase switch, 24dB/oct low-pass adjustable crossover, continuously adjustable Q, best-in-class amplifier feature set.

Enclosure Design: Dimensions are: 21.5” x 17” x 25” H x W x D (add 1” H for feet, 1” W for grille, 1” D for amp controls). The enclosure was designed from the ground up with rounded corners, smooth edges, and non-vinyl finishes.

Port Design: Dual rear-firing round bent ports, designed from the ground up with large cross-sectional area, continuously flared on both ends, used for variable tuning, best-in-class port cross-sectional area.

Frequency Response: +/- 2dB from 16-200Hz in ported max extension mode (measured outside, Q = 0.7), best-in-class upper/mid/deep bass frequency response linearity.

Additional information and ordering can be seen here:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2011, 4:33 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
How does sealed mode differ in performance to ported modes? Will the VTF3 mk4 in sealed mode have a sealed type gradual roll-off, or does it still have the steeper roll-off like its ported modes?
Old August 18th, 2011, 5:17 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
The sealed modes will sound less deep bass heavy than the ported modes. The frequency response rolloff will start earlier (ie. at a higher frequency) in the sealed mode vs. the comparable ported mode, but the rolloff will be much steeper in the ported mode below the port tuning frequency vs. the comparable sealed mode. To get some idea of what I mean, you can compare the frequency response sweeps in Ported Max Extension Mode vs. Sealed Max Extension Mode here: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

So for any given operating mode setting (ie. 'EQ1'/'EQ2') and for any given Q control setting, the electrical rolloff will be the same between ported and sealed modes, but the acoustical rolloff will be much less steep in the sealed mode vs. the ported mode (ie. 12dB/oct acoustical rolloff in sealed mode, and 24dB/oct acoustical rolloff in ported mode).

Sincerely,
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM

I see, thanks for the explanation. Looks like a nice improvement on what is already a great sub! You might not want to answer this right now, but are you guys going to bring the hybrid technology to the less expensive subs, ie the VTF1 and 2?
Old August 19th, 2011, 9:40 AM
Hsu Research

Sure, at some point we would like to do that, but probably won't happen for some months.

Sincerely,
Old August 19th, 2011, 9:45 AM

kinggimp is on a distinguished road
I currently own a VTF-2 MK3 and im looking to upgrade. I recently moved into a new house with a much larger listening area. I went from a 3000 cubic foot listening area to a 5600 cubic foot listening area. For music the VTF-2 MK3 still sounds OK but in home theater the sub has bottomed out and started chuffing a couple times.

My question is will the VTF-3 MK4 be a nice improvement over the VTF-2 MK3 in my 5600 cubic foot listening area? Would it sound tighter and have more punch in the mid bass? And would it produce deep bass more easily?
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
Fronts/Center: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, Rears: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Andrew,

The VTF-3 MK4 (and VTF-15H) should be a big improvement in all those areas. Of course, another option would be to add a second VTF-2 MK3.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old August 24th, 2011, 4:19 PM

kwolfskill is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

How is a VTF-3 MK4 going to compare to my VTF-3 MK3 Turbo? Looks like the VTF-3 MK4 is listed to dig deeper to 16 Hz vs. my 18 Hz. I only run in extended bass mode because I listen to mostly music. Even so, I already scare the daylights out of anyone upstairs from my basement home theater when I'm watching a movie. Am I going to be a little louder down low with the turbo, but not able to go as low? Or will the VTF-3 MK4 even beat me at loudness?

As far as mid-bass is concerned, I run a pair of MBM-12 MK2s near field with my VTF-3 MK3 far field (what can I say, I love, love, love, the sound of my HSU subs). I have heard that a VTF-15H is better than a VTF3-MK3 in combination with a MBM-12 MK2. Would the same be true for a VTF3-MK4 vs. my setup? I would assume that the room configuration would come into account, as my MBM-12 MK2s help smooth out the room.

I love the sound of my setup, but new products always make me wonder, what if...
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM

kwolfskill is on a distinguished road
Another question. What would this do if you mated a turbo to it?
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:18 PM

hi Kwolf, I don't know for sure, but I don't think the VTF3 mk4 will best the mk3 for actual extension, since the driver looks to be the same, and the cabinet and ports are the same. If the ports have the same placement on the cabinet as the mk3, there is no reason that I can see why the turbo won't work the same for the mk4 as it did for the mk3. The only real differences between the mk4 and the mk3 looks to be the Q control and support for a sealed operating mode.
Old August 27th, 2011, 7:52 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Actually the MK4 is listed at 16Hz and the MK3 turbo as 18Hz and as you stated they both have the same driver porting.

Last edited by lradden : August 27th, 2011 at 8:02 AM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hsu Research

The VTF-3 MK4 will play just as deep as the VTF-3 MK3, and can accept the Turbo too (if one is able to find one on the used market), although the finish on the Turbo is a vinyl finish whereas the -3 MK4 uses a satin finish. The VTF-3 MK3 should have been rated at 16Hz extension, but was underrated at 18Hz extension. So the deep bass extension is the same between -3 MK3 and -3 MK4. The Q control on the -3 MK4 is a significant enhancement though, as it gives one more ability to shape the deep bass response and to achieve higher mid-bass headroom. No doubt, the -3 MK4 will work great as an addition to a -3 MK3.

Sincerely,
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Smile

Although I have not been a regular (due to poor health over the past few years) its great to see Dr Hsu releasing the MK4. In these times of very tight cash its good to see such good value components still coming out of Hsu Research.

Ddavidson
Old September 30th, 2011, 8:15 PM

Skye is on a distinguished road
The top post says it is side-firing. Do you make left and right models? Or would it sound okay to use two side-firing subs in a system with them both firing towards the same side?
Old October 1st, 2011, 6:20 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Skye,

We only make one version with driver firing to the right (when viewed in it's normal orientation). That said, it is no problem at all to have dual units with both drivers firing in the same direction. In the lowest frequencies, particularly below 50Hz, orientation of the driver shouldn't make a huge difference.

Sincerely,
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note on the new MK4 subwoofers;

According to Dr. Hsu, the VTF-3 MK4 and the VTF-2 MK4 have an updated 12" driver with new and improved shorting rings, resulting in higher mid and upper base efficiency and lower distortion. So that is another enhancement in addition the new Q control and official support for sealed operating modes.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
Old November 10th, 2011, 5:51 PM

elwaylite is on a distinguished road
Excellent, I got my VTF-2 MK4 in today (Thanks Pete) and followed Pete's suggestions on setup with Audyssey (also got a new Marantz AVR )

Before Audyssey: Q 0.7, EQ 1, one port plugged, Xover Out(bypassed) and gain at 9 oclock, the sub trim settings in the Marantz were 0.0 db which is awesome.

After Audyssey: EQ 2, unplugged the 2nd port, set Q to 0.5, and of course left the gain alone and xover bypassed

Really sounds better than my Klipsch 12" sub it replaced, just wondering if I should even mess with it further
Old November 28th, 2011, 2:58 PM

DVDIT is on a distinguished road
Is the driver located on the side ? If so, is it on the left or the right ?

HSU, a picture on your product page showing where the driver is might be helpful for some.
Old November 28th, 2011, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDIT View Post
Is the driver located on the side ? If so, is it on the left or the right ?

HSU, a picture on your product page showing where the driver is might be helpful for some.
The driver is located on the right side if you're looking at it from the front of the speaker.
Old November 30th, 2011, 6:35 PM

dmass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Hsu View Post
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note on the new MK4 subwoofers;

According to Dr. Hsu, the VTF-3 MK4 and the VTF-2 MK4 have an updated 12" driver with new and improved shorting rings, resulting in higher mid and upper base efficiency and lower distortion. So that is another enhancement in addition the new Q control and official support for sealed operating modes.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
Are these new and improved 12" drivers compatible with the older TN1220 tubes (which I have and use). What is the cost of the drivers and what improvement will I see in my TN1220's If I upgrade?
Old December 1st, 2011, 2:43 PM
Hsu Research

Absolutely. But if your original drivers on the TN are working fine, then I'm not sure it is worth the expense to upgrade. We charge $175 + S/H for replacement 12" drivers.

Sincerely,
Old December 19th, 2011, 8:42 AM

mmarki is on a distinguished road
I am thinking of selling my two ULS-15's and buying two of the VTF-3-MK4. When I originally purchased the ULS-15's I thought I was going to be listening to a lot of music. Now we only use the room for home theater. I am limited on space, so the MBM would not work for me. I am lacking the punch I want for HT, although the uls's do play plenty deep. I think these will give me what I am looking for, but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Last edited by mmarki : December 19th, 2011 at 9:39 AM.
Old December 19th, 2011, 4:48 PM

For punch, I would go for some VTF15h subs, they ought to have quite a bit more than the ULS or VTF3. I have both the ULS and VTF3, I would say the VTF3 doesn't really get a whole lot louder than the ULS. If you want the VTF3 to punch though, place it near-field, like a endtable to your seating position, it kicks pretty good there.
Old December 19th, 2011, 6:22 PM

mmarki is on a distinguished road
Thanks shadyj. I can't place the subs near field, my room doesn't allow for it. Also the vtf-15h is too tall to fit under my screen and I have to keep the subs upfront. I'm sure placement could be part of the problem, but I do use the AS1 for eq. Im surprised the vtf3-mk4 doesn't hit harder/get louder than the uls15. I always thought ported subs were the way to go for home theater.
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM

You can use the VTF15h on its sides, horizontally, it will not affect the sound. That will have a lot more punch than the VTF3 or ULS.
Old December 20th, 2011, 6:50 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
The MK4 has more kick than the 3.3 in the midbass. I am anxious to hear that sub...
Old December 11th, 2012, 3:59 PM

HT Fan is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a chart specifying a room-size to subwoofer map? I did read in the FAQ that the subwoofer requirement/expectation is different from each person, I was wanting to know if there is a "standard" recommendation.

I have a 2000 cu feet room and was wondering what size would be more appropriate (Mk3 or Mk4). Please advise.

Thanks,
Old December 11th, 2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Fan View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a chart specifying a room-size to subwoofer map? I did read in the FAQ that the subwoofer requirement/expectation is different from each person, I was wanting to know if there is a "standard" recommendation.

I have a 2000 cu feet room and was wondering what size would be more appropriate (Mk3 or Mk4). Please advise.

Thanks,
The two different models you must be a talking about are the VTF-2 MK4 and the VTF-3 MK4. When you say that your room is 2000 cubic feet is that a completely sealed off room or does it have openings into other rooms? Also what are your listening habits. What percentage is home theater and what percentage is music? Do you generally listen at high volumes?