HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 14th, 2011, 7:19 PM

mattbrid is on a distinguished road
Need subwoofer advice

I currently have the Kef eggs 5.1 system. The subwoofer just died again (third one). Apparently this is a thing with this particular sub. Anyway, although the satellites are small, they do sound amazing. I'm thinking of replacing the sub with the vtf-3 mk4. What I'm wondering is if I might benefit from the midbass module as well since the satellites sound best crossed over at about 100hz (or maybe 120). It sounds like the perfect solution to bridge the gap between tiny satellites and a true subwoofer (vtf-3). Thoughts? Thanks.
BTW, my room is a two story open addition (octagonal with about 8'sides and 12-15 foot high ceiling), open to stairs and a balcony on one side. Probably at least 5000cuft.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
You don't need to do that, in my opinion. The VTF3 will play just fine up to 120 hz. Just set the crossover in the receiver to 120 or 100 or whatever you want there, as I believe the VTF3's crossover tops off at 90 hz. An MBM certainly wouldn't hurt though, if you are into powerful midbass it is a nice solution.
Old September 15th, 2011, 5:27 AM

Thanks for the input.
I am concerned that crossing the sub so high might make it localize. That's why I was thinking about the midbass module.
Anyway, assuming then that I can just get the sub, based on the size of my room with the open side and all, do you think 2 subs (and no midbass module) would be a good idea?
Old September 15th, 2011, 9:36 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
I do think that two subs would be better than a midbass module. The problem with the midbass module is that it would be localizable just as much as a sub would be, unless you have multiples of them, so it doesn't really solve that problem. Two subs, ideally located near your left and right front speakers, would defeat localization. Your large room could use two subs as well, as you have a lot of volume to pressurize, and multiple subs goes a long way to overcoming bass nulls.

I agree!

Last edited by cacihome : September 15th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I do think that two subs would be better than a midbass module. The problem with the midbass module is that it would be localizable just as much as a sub would be, unless you have multiples of them, so it doesn't really solve that problem. Two subs, ideally located near your left and right front speakers, would defeat localization. Your large room could use two subs as well, as you have a lot of volume to pressurize, and multiple subs goes a long way to overcoming bass nulls.
Yep. I agree.
Old September 17th, 2011, 8:43 PM

OK. One last quesion, then. Two VTF-3's or one VTF-15H?
Thanks for all the help!
Old September 18th, 2011, 2:09 PM

sisu1a is on a distinguished road
2 VTF 3's of course! This allows you to effectively achieve actively crossed (assuming you use the high pass rca outs) horizontally bi-amped full-range speakers, even with those cute little eggs Serious future upgradeability with the addition of more capable speakers, not to mention HT layout flexibility if you don't use them directly as bi-amped mains...

I've finally achieved stereo sub capability for my rears (detailed in my 'subwoofer projects' post), but unhooked that setup for now and and as I type this am test driving my twin TN1220's in stereo, powered by the amp/x-over combo I got for those channels (Carver M1.0t/Outlaw ICBM-1) which allows me to run much higher x-over points (80-100Hz) but maintain discrete L/R channel separation and have complete subwoofer gain control from 0 to +9dB.

-paul