HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 21st, 2016, 10:39 AM

hd_newbie is on a distinguished road
Atmos Set up

I am on the upgrade mood. I am looking to buy affordable speakers for movies and these seem difficult to beat.

Few questions:

1. I noticed using these as center channel was discussed. Did anybody compare? I have space to put the speaker in center and I may even be able to put it vertically. Should I? Or get their dedicated center?
2. I am planning to put together a 5.1.4 atmos set up with dedicated height channels (no in ceiling yet) this time around. Are these speakers wall mountable? i am wondering if I can mount them on ceiling itself.
3. What is best in my shoes for my 5.1.4 set up?
a) Get 9 HB1-MK2 for all speaker positions
b) Get 5 HB1-MK2 and use my existing KEF eggs (KEF 3005SE) for height duties
c) Get 8 HB1-MK2 and a dedicated center
d) Get 4 HB1-MK2, a dedicated center, and use my existing KEF eggs (KEF 3005SE) for height duties

Any input is appreciated.
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:12 AM

Calypte is on a distinguished road
IMHO, if you can, for the center, you should use a speaker identical to your L-R speakers. As another opinion, though, I once read an interesting comment by Paul Barton (PSB speakers) about center speakers. He said there are issues that center speakers encounter that the sides don't. Specifically, while your side speakers are standing in the clear on stands, and they are designed to sound best that way, the center speaker is often close to or butted up against the top or the bottom of the TV. The screen of the TV acts as an extended baffle for the woofer, and it alters the bass response. So the goal of achieving seamless pans is compromised. Maybe the HC-1 takes this into account. What about it, Kevin?
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypte View Post
IMHO, if you can, for the center, you should use a speaker identical to your L-R speakers. As another opinion, though, I once read an interesting comment by Paul Barton (PSB speakers) about center speakers. He said there are issues that center speakers encounter that the sides don't. Specifically, while your side speakers are standing in the clear on stands, and they are designed to sound best that way, the center speaker is often close to or butted up against the top or the bottom of the TV. The screen of the TV acts as an extended baffle for the woofer, and it alters the bass response. So the goal of achieving seamless pans is compromised. Maybe the HC-1 takes this into account. What about it, Kevin?
Thank you. While waiting for Kevin's input, how are you using yours? On stands or walls? I hear they are not designed for flush mounting. I am not handy so I am reluctant to drill holes, etc. However, I really need, at least, height speakers wall and/or ceiling mounted. Will that work?
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post
Thank you. While waiting for Kevin's input, how are you using yours? On stands or walls? I hear they are not designed for flush mounting. I am not handy so I am reluctant to drill holes, etc. However, I really need, at least, height speakers wall and/or ceiling mounted. Will that work?
I only have two HB-1 Mk 2s, which I'm using as L-R. It's an experiment. I'm trying to decide if I should get three more to complete an all-around set. I listened to the Hsu speakers in their audition room on two occasions in 2014, and, frankly, I thought they were rather shy on top. But my wife liked them. When I saw the current Fathers' Day sale, I decided to get a pair to see if I felt differently once they were in my home. I like the sound, and I may get the other speakers. But it means, once again, shoving the Magneplanars aside.

I am interested in how people use the Hsu speakers for Atmos, and that's how your post happened to catch my eye. I've never heard Dolby Atmos, and I have no opinion of its value.

Oh, you asked a direct question. The two Hsu HB-1 Mk 2s are on stands.
Old June 21st, 2016, 1:14 PM

Quote:
I only have two HB-1 Mk 2s, which I'm using as L-R. It's an experiment. I'm trying to decide if I should get three more to complete an all-around set. I listened to the Hsu speakers in their audition room on two occasions in 2014, and, frankly, I thought they were rather shy on top. But my wife liked them. When I saw the current Fathers' Day sale, I decided to get a pair to see if I felt differently once they were in my home. I like the sound, and I may get the other speakers. But it means, once again, shoving the Magneplanars aside.

I am interested in how people use the Hsu speakers for Atmos, and that's how your post happened to catch my eye. I've never heard Dolby Atmos, and I have no opinion of its value.

Oh, you asked a direct question. The two Hsu HB-1 Mk 2s are on stands.
Thank you

What were you using before them? What are other 3 speakers you have now? Do you hear timbre differences? I currently have KEF 3005SE eggs. I just moved and upgrade bug has been biting me since.
Old June 21st, 2016, 1:29 PM

Right now I have Magneplanar Ib's on the sides and the Magneplanar MGCC1 (their first center) in the middle. Because the speakers aren't identical, there is some timbre change in pans, but there aren't many places where it comes up in movies. My rears are still Boston Acoustics A40 Series IIs, and, no they don't match. It's not much of an issue for HT, but for SACD it's a problem. For a long time I had Bostons all around, which worked well, but I had to become very good at repairing woofer surrounds, and I had to replace a couple of tweeters. Parts are readily available on eBay, fortunately. There's a longer story about this, and it involves our visit to the Hsu audition room, but that's good enough for now.

However, I still long for the days of identical speakers all around. What I've found with the HB-1 Mk 2 is that the size and price are attractive, and they have very good sound (although a Chopin recording this afternoon has started to make me wonder again about the highs). The HB-1 can play loud. What I notice with many speakers, and amplifiers are probably part of the equation, too, is that massed violins playing fortissimo tend to break up a bit, and large choruses have problems. I think the sound of a large chorus is something even the best recordings and reproduction equipment still have trouble with. If you've ever heard, say, Mahler's Sym 2 or Beethoven's Missa Solemnis in concert, then you know that recordings never get it quite right.
Old June 21st, 2016, 3:18 PM

Totally agreed. I love HSU's design and approach, but it seems it will be a logistical nightmare to get them placed properly.

Quote:
Right now I have Magneplanar Ib's on the sides and the Magneplanar MGCC1 (their first center) in the middle. Because the speakers aren't identical, there is some timbre change in pans, but there aren't many places where it comes up in movies. My rears are still Boston Acoustics A40 Series IIs, and, no they don't match. It's not much of an issue for HT, but for SACD it's a problem. For a long time I had Bostons all around, which worked well, but I had to become very good at repairing woofer surrounds, and I had to replace a couple of tweeters. Parts are readily available on eBay, fortunately. There's a longer story about this, and it involves our visit to the Hsu audition room, but that's good enough for now.

However, I still long for the days of identical speakers all around. What I've found with the HB-1 Mk 2 is that the size and price are attractive, and they have very good sound (although a Chopin recording this afternoon has started to make me wonder again about the highs). The HB-1 can play loud. What I notice with many speakers, and amplifiers are probably part of the equation, too, is that massed violins playing fortissimo tend to break up a bit, and large choruses have problems. I think the sound of a large chorus is something even the best recordings and reproduction equipment still have trouble with. If you've ever heard, say, Mahler's Sym 2 or Beethoven's Missa Solemnis in concert, then you know that recordings never get it quite right.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM

My comment reads confusingly. Sorry. The HB-1 Mk 2 handles those massed violins and choruses very well. I don't have much choice for placement -- not without tearing the room apart and rearranging everything. This is a large manufactured home, and it has the most satisfactory "great room" I've ever had for audio and video. Even better, the nearest neighbors are hundreds of feet away, and I can play music as loud as I can tolerate without fear of complaints. The HB-1 Mk 2s that I'm testing as L-R are positioned well away from the walls. I don't think they were placed any better in the Hsu audition room when I visited (two occasions) in spring 2014. IIRC, they were not placed according to the guidelines described in the instruction sheet. In any case, I have no complaints or perceived problems in regard to placement.
Old August 11th, 2016, 6:00 PM

mentatgom is on a distinguished road
The HB-1 is really not designed for wall placement. It's a fairly heavy cabinet speaker and rear ported. I have seen them wall mounted, but with pretty substantial mounts that grabbed around the sides of the speakers (if you wanted threaded, you would need to drill your own holes in the cabinets), and the speakers were not mounted high.

-M