HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 31st, 2009, 5:37 AM

mystik610 is on a distinguished road
HSU floor standing speakers

Are there any plans for a floorstanding speaker from HSU? How about a dipole surround speaker?

The more I play with my VTF-3, and the more I read about the HB-1's...the more I wish HSU made a floorstander. I prefer the 'presence' of a floorstander...if only for the aesthetic value of having two tall towers at the front of my room.
Rear: Polk Audio FXi3
Pre/Pro: Onkyo TX-SR805
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Old August 1st, 2009, 4:56 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Look at the Acoustech towers. I had read that Hsu had a hand in designing them. Can someone from HSU confirm this? I think that if the HB-1s were converted into towers, they would be very much like those.
Old August 1st, 2009, 5:32 PM

jncwags is on a distinguished road
I've asked the same question here in the past....

Pete replied that Dr. HSU has no desire to go into tower speakers and the "sub-sat" combo is the only way to go.

I REALLY would like to see a tower system from HSU...
Old August 1st, 2009, 7:50 PM

skool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jncwags View Post
Pete replied that Dr. HSU has no desire to go into tower speakers and the "sub-sat" combo is the only way to go.
Most people will agree that this method is probably the ideal method unless you're just stereo music reproduction. Considering that the Hsu HB-1 has dynamics abilities with low distortion at loud volume, there's no need for a "tower" version unless you just want lower bass extension for stereo music listening. I would spend the extra $$$ on bigger sub or premium veneer finish .
Old August 2nd, 2009, 8:21 PM

mystik610 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skool View Post
Most people will agree that this method is probably the ideal method unless you're just stereo music reproduction. Considering that the Hsu HB-1 has dynamics abilities with low distortion at loud volume, there's no need for a "tower" version unless you just want lower bass extension for stereo music listening. I would spend the extra $$$ on bigger sub or premium veneer finish .
For me its mostly a matter of aesthetics...I prefer the look of a large tower over the look of a bookshelf speaker on stands. Plus a tower is much harder for my 1 year old to knock over than a speaker on stands.

I can't speak for the HB-1's, but with my RTi8's paired with the VTF-3, I'm finding that between the pristine highs of the RTi8's, and the super-clean lows of the VTF-3, there's a feeling that something is missing in the mid-bass department....Depending on what speaker line you're looking at, there may be advantages of a larger tower for multi-channel use. I'm now debating getting a set of towers with more mid-bass drivers/woofer and/or bi-amping my fronts.... or adding an MBM.
Rear: Polk Audio FXi3
Pre/Pro: Onkyo TX-SR805
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:35 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
We will definitely consider making a tower speaker, but don't plan on having a tower speaker ready any time soon.

If one wants a "super" tower speaker, one can get two HB-1 MK2 and put them on top of two MBM-12's This may not be the most aesthetically pleasing arrangement, but should look fine and perform great.

Sincerely,
Old August 31st, 2009, 7:55 PM

mentatgom is on a distinguished road
that's something i'd love to see (and hear).. though I noticed the HSU demo room is getting a bit crowded... Pete, you can use my living room to demo the setup, I'm not too far away!