HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 4th, 2010, 8:55 PM

manonfire is on a distinguished road
Question about vtf 2.3 port noise vs vtf3.2

i have a general question for any vtf 2.3 owners. i recieved my sub a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying it, this was a 2nd sub purchase as i already own a vtf 3.2 i threw in the demo disc that was included with purchase and my question is this, if any one has listened to it on the 1st track @ 29 sec, @ 1 min 51 sec, 2min 10 sec, 2 min 28 sec, @ 3min 7sec on that really low note does it make a wooshing noise from port of sub is that normal? reason i ask is that the 3.2 does not make any wooshing noisse with those notes. i have them both calibrated also dialed in slight above 9 o'clock and -5 sub dial in on my rotel rsp 1068 does any one else experience that wooshing effect.
Samsung LN55C630
Oppo BDP-80
VTF 3 MK 2
VTF 2 MK 3
SMS-1
Monster Power HTS 2600
PS3 Fatboy
XBox 360 Slim
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi manonfire,

The sensitivity of the volume control and the equalization settings are different on these two models. Do you have an SPL meter? If so, then you can take measurements at 16/20/25Hz on the -2 MK3 to compare to the -3 MK2 to see how high the SPL level is before you start to hear the noise.

Are you hearing a whistling sound from the -2 MK3 port? Try putting masking tape around the entire port flare circumference to see if that reduces the noise.

Sincerely,
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM

i do have a radio shack meter, as far as the port noise thats exactly what im hearing is a whislting like chuffing sound.
Samsung LN55C630
Oppo BDP-80
VTF 3 MK 2
VTF 2 MK 3
SMS-1
Monster Power HTS 2600
PS3 Fatboy
XBox 360 Slim
Old April 5th, 2010, 4:40 PM
Hsu Research

If you don't mind, place the SPL meter at ear level at the listening position (C weighting and "Slow" settings). At your preferred master volume level on the receiver, take measurements from 16-50Hz first with only the -3 MK2 turned on, and then repeat the measurements from 16-50Hz with only the -2 MK3 turned on.

Thanks
Old April 6th, 2010, 6:51 PM

Thumbs up

3.2 2.3

16hz 81 86
20hz 88 87
25hz 84 82
31.5hz 84 80
40hz 88 82
50hz 96 94

also just so you know both subs are in diff position i have 3.2 in front right corner of room and the 2.3 in back right corner both 12 inches from wall my sofa is on back wall with 2.3 room is 22'6"x13' which opens to kitchen
Samsung LN55C630
Oppo BDP-80
VTF 3 MK 2
VTF 2 MK 3
SMS-1
Monster Power HTS 2600
PS3 Fatboy
XBox 360 Slim
Old April 6th, 2010, 8:27 PM
Hsu Research

Looks like your VTF-2 MK3 is coming across as too deep bass heavy in the current placement position. Try setting the bass extension switch to the '2 port open' mode (leaving one port plugged) to get an overdamped response, and then increase the volume knob on the -2 MK3 just a tad.

Sincerely,
Old April 7th, 2010, 8:15 PM

mentatgom is on a distinguished road
Jumping in this kind of late... but, yes, I too get heavy "chuffing" on that track with my VTF2.3 in max extension mode. This happens non equalized and after running audessy equalization. It doesn't matter where the sub is in the room. I just don't want my sub to blow up!
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hsu Research

Try setting the bass extension switch to the '2 port open' mode (leaving all else the same). This should help to resolve the issue.

Sincerely,