HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 27th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Epsilon 333 is on a distinguished road
HSU's Blast From The Past! (TN-1220's)

I thought I would share a little story , about my wonderful year's having owned HSU's TN-1220 since my first pair back in 1998. Having tried different types of sub's mostly active ,I remember a review from Audio Magazine, that mentioned the air shaking BASS heard from these Subwoofers!
So too my delight , my first pair ,really went lower than anything I had heard previously! The only problem at that time was they couldn't keep up with my main speakers , which were Infinity's Epsilon's Speakers.
The Epsilon's were awesome, but lacked the deep BASS that these HSU's TN-1220 were providing me with. So yes, I bought another pair ! So now 4 sub's !! By the way , I used my own Amp. I did purchase HSU's passive fixed 24 slope @ 60 hz. For awhile I must admit, I thought I reached my pinnacle !
But when I moved to a larger home, I was able to build my own High End Listening Room! The only problem was , yeah you guessed it !! I needed more sub's! Only because the 4 TN- 1220's we're lagging just enough to irritate me .. I tried moving them to no avail ..
So I built my own ! Crazy as it might be, I built 4 More. Now a total of 8 ! I know that's insane.. But now I've finally reached Nirvana !! BASS keeps up with the Epsilon's effortlessly. It's been about 10 years now with this set up. And I'm totally satisfied with the end result. The only thing I work on these days are Diffusion ,I only have BASS traps in the corner's. ,Diffusers every where Else!! I'll try to post some pic's of the room!! Happy listening !! And thank you HSU for enriching my life with your Subwoofers all these years !
Old October 28th, 2015, 9:49 AM

Pictures Of (TN-1220's)

I can't up-load pictures!???
Old November 1st, 2015, 2:00 PM

Pictures of the TN - 1220 's

Finally got some pictures of the room and TN -1220's
Attached Images

Old November 2nd, 2015, 4:41 PM

dmass is on a distinguished road
Wow looks like you are using the TN1220 cylinders as a tube trap wall treatments. That's impressive.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 6:41 PM

Talking

Hey dmass ! I noticed you're a happy TN-1220 Subwoofer owner yourself ! I read some of your older post's. Your graph's were very interesting, to say the least. It's fun to tweak ! You brought up a good point about the Subwoofers I have against the wall. The sub's and the BASS traps I have in the corner's, are all that I have left, for absorption! Everywhere else has Diffusion... I'm actually half way finished with 2 more diffusers ,I will be using Right behind the Epsilon's Speakers. They measure 2 foot wide by just over 6 feet tall. These are made from pine hardwood! The other Diffusers are made from a solid foam product. I'll try to take a few pics. By the way I had an old crown Amp years ago ,that I used for my first pair of the TN-1220 funny thing was it fried on me one day when I was showing it off to a buddy of mine! Lol. Lesson learned!!!
Old November 5th, 2015, 3:54 PM

dmass is on a distinguished road
different driver versions?

Given your living legend status of having such a Hsu arsenal of tubes....Are all of the 12" driver's of the same version?

I have only two tubes but they are different versions. One with a HSU logo on the driver surround that is a vintage 2001 or so and the other one without logo and from 2004. Neither one has the even older cork based gasket around the edges. The 2004 version one is roughly 3db more power efficient.

Anyway, do you notice a big difference between the versions of drivers you have? I have considered spending the $200 per driver to update from HSU to the latest ones. Have you updated any of your drivers?
Old November 5th, 2015, 9:35 PM

All the same Drivers!

That's a good question!! When I checked, they are all the same Drivers, the older version ones though , with the cork surrounds..Even though I had bought them at different times, I believe it was only within a few months. The real dilemma was when I made the other 4 sub's....What was I going to put in them! The BASS Speakers in my Epsilon's were already dry rotting, so I decided on getting Infinity's kappa perfect 12.1 the way they are built made me purchase them, even though I know these Speakers Will last a lifetime for me. Having hindsight, I should have gotten the HSU Subwoofer Speakers ,that way they would all have matched!! Not smart on my part!!The only thing I can say is it all does blend very well..The active crossover unit I have really saves my butt. That's because of the individual slope's , like,12, 18, 24 ,48 linkwitz that are at my disposal, also individual volume control, make's blending and balancing very easy! So to answer your question, if it were me I would buy the 2 HSU Subwoofers . I'm sure they are built like Sherman tank's, and really, they are really designed for those Speakers!!