HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:32 AM

chych is on a distinguished road
Silly wiring of an STF-1

I'm about to buy an STF-1 for my 2 channel computer audio system (ascend acoustics cbm-170 speakers). I was looking at the STF-1 manual and am wondering how I should connect it.

My audio chain is: computer -> DAC -> preamp -> poweramp -> speakers. The poweramp has a passthrough (stereo). I was wondering if I could take this pre-level passthrough, use a Y-adapter to combine them (and nothing bad happens when I combine them), and then plug them into the STF-1's low-level input (mono). My previous subwoofer had stereo low-level inputs, so I was able to use it this way (without the Y-adapter).

Or must I use the high-level inputs? And if I do it this way, should I do it like: poweramp -> subwoofer -> speaker, which utilizes the sub's crossover? Or should I use the B channel on my poweramp and send that to the subwoofer, so both the sub and speakers get the full signal?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:45 PM

whitewizard is on a distinguished road
same thing

I've been thinking about a similar problem. I want to use my old Nakamichi stereo amp to power the sub and my two Hsu Research HB-1s. The amp does not have a low level out. The amp has stereo outputs for both A and B channel speakers (4 outputs in total), but i get more power from the amp (125 watts at 4 ohms) if i only use either A or B. If i sent the signal to the sub and the speakers separately i would only get 60 watts at 8 ohms. I know the sub isn't supposed to draw much current from the amp, but does it pass all the power it doesn't use to it's outputs?

I want my two HB-1s to get 125 watts at 4 ohms, and i want the sub to make some noise, so I'm thinking the best way to connect is to run from the amp -> sub -> speakers. Is this right or am i compromising quality or power in some way?
Old June 4th, 2007, 6:24 PM

chych is on a distinguished road
Well if the subwoofer doesn't draw current, it isn't eating any power from the amp... but then again we do not know how the amp is wired, so it still may reduce power to 60W. But I'd imagine that 60W is plenty for HB-1s, no?

I still want to know if its better to let the speakers get the full signal, or get the high pass signal. I'd think the former is better, but everything uses crossovers these days that I'm not sure.