HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where in room do you place your subwoofer?
Front left corner 14 34.15%
Front right corner 6 14.63%
Back left corner 5 12.20%
Back right corner 6 14.63%
Other (please specify below) 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17th, 2005, 8:05 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Where in room do you place your subwoofer?

Hello all,

Where in room do you place your subwoofer?

If you select "Other", please specify in this thread where the subwoofer is placed.

Thank you all very much!
Old January 17th, 2005, 8:22 AM
Hsu Research

Arrow

Just for clarification, when I say front corner, I mean the wall opposite the listening position (ie. where the TV would probably be). When I say back corner, I mean the wall just behind the listening position.

front left-------TV--------front right
|...............................................|
back left------listener-----back right
Old January 17th, 2005, 8:31 AM
Hsu Research

One more question:

Q: If your subwoofer is placed in a corner, how do you orient the sub? Ports facing left to right, or ports facing front to back?

Very much looking forward to all of your responses. Thank you again for the feedback!
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM

nhan070 is on a distinguished road
My placement is front right (as suggested by Dr. Hsu) with port facing front to back. I've been too lazy or had not the time to experiment to find the "optimal" position. Even if I did find it, one has to get a dedicated eq to "tame" those bass curves created by the specific room configuration.

This got me thinking...why not include a small eq (with limited band adjustments maybe between 40-60 Hz) on the onboard amp to address this? This could be a great improvement / feature to the newer subs. I see the recommend external eq suggested to taming the bass response is just a tad overboard since only a tiny portion of the eq features/capabilites are used which I can't justify. Just a thought...

Nhan
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Opinionated Member

Sorny is on a distinguished road
I have one TN1220HO in each rear corner of the room, thus I chose "other".

Sorny
Old January 17th, 2005, 1:35 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
since I changed things around my living room, the sub had to be moved from behind the listening position to **front right** - I did the walk around method and that was the best sounding place to me.

PS: port facing the wall.
Old January 17th, 2005, 2:15 PM

finchna is on a distinguished road
Hi Peter,

Mine is close to back right corner based on Dr. Hsu's recommendation after he looked at my room map. It's more between the corner and middle of room though--near the couch.

Sorry if the rest of this is completely off topic...

I can understand using polls to get a sense of how many tubes and boxes are out there, and what tuning people are doing with their VTFs for production purposes, but what is the purpose of knowing where in rooms the subs are going most of the time? Isn't location based on room accoustics (if possible after sending in your room map and then calibrating, testing positions, etc.) and then wherever it's possible to put one or more boxes or tubes?

I see that the new HO subs have returned to side firing--is there such a thing as a best general position? Is it now side firing towards listener or wall or room center? What's the current thinking on downfiring? And would it help to know which way our sub(s) fires along with where it is in the room?

Nathan
Old January 17th, 2005, 5:58 PM

Dave G
Our VTF-3 Mk2 is right behind the couch, or right behind the "listener" in Peter's diagram.
Old January 17th, 2005, 6:01 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Back left - underneath an endtable. It is not in a corner, but is just a few feet from the two prime listening positions. It used to be on the other side (back right) where it was in the corner, but a little farther away from the listening position. Both sound excellent - it was moved because the furniture was moved.
Old January 17th, 2005, 6:48 PM
Hsu Research

Hello Nathan!

This poll is more for curiousity sake than anything. I wanted to get a better idea about where and how you guys are positioning your products. I suspect about even distribution in all the corners of the room. The new HO models with sidefiring drivers should sound quite good in multiple locations and with multiple orientations.
Old January 17th, 2005, 8:46 PM

meanstreak55 is on a distinguished road
Front left corner. Port left to right gives me the most even response in my room. I do intend to experiment in the back left corner (couch endtable) whenever I can remember to get a longer sub cable...
Old January 17th, 2005, 9:07 PM

Lwang will become famous soon enoughLwang will become famous soon enough
My 2 1220 are on its sides, one on top of another, with the woofer roughly halfway down the right side of the room. That is the place where I have determined to have the least peaky bass (wouldn't it be? Much of room modes are cancelled). This is at the expense of a very inefficient SPL production layout. The port is facing the front, 4 ft away from the center point.

I have a 10V in proximity to the center channel speaker, since it is crossed over @ 155hz and minimizing bass localization is of higher priority than absolute bass performance. Now that I have made my old left channel my current center channel, I probably could cross that much lower and move the 10V somewhere else or eliminate the 10V completely
Old January 17th, 2005, 9:49 PM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
Other…

My STF-2 is in the back half of my room along the left wall with the port facing towards the wall.
Old January 18th, 2005, 2:39 PM

Rob Babcock is on a distinguished road
I positioned mine "woofers facing up and ports facing down"- I have a pair of TN-1220's.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM

tblankenship is on a distinguished road
My VTF-3 MK2 is behind just to the right of the listener. The ports are pointing right, toward the nearest wall.

I also have a VTF-2 MK2 in a different room that is nearest the front left corner with ports pointing left.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:45 AM

kingtut is on a distinguished road
VTF3 MKII in right back corner, on its side to fit underneath an end-table, with the port facing the right front corner. Hsu Research indicated that laying the sub on its side is ok.
Old January 28th, 2005, 3:15 PM

DaveSmith is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveSmith
Sub Placement

I have an STF-2. My Ventriloquist fronts are about 48" up and only 5 feet apart (TV is between them). STF-2 is just left of front left speaker and about 12" from front wall. Also, rear surrounds are slightly higher than fronts, about 16' apart. Rear center is highest, behind the rear L&R surround plane, and very nearly centered behind the listening area. Cneter channel is on top of TV cabinet.
Old January 30th, 2005, 3:39 PM

mulnhd is on a distinguished road
After "walking" the sub around my room I found that the best point is in the front middle location just to the right of my fireplace -- I have a TV nook above the fireplace. My room has a vaulted ceiling is open toward rear of my room. When I put the sub in the corner it was way to boomy and was not crisp (sounded mushy). Same with the behind the couch location. This for my was the best spot. I hear good at all positions of the room and in the kitchen beyond.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 9:29 AM

OU812 is on a distinguished road
Peter,

My VTF3-MKII is located along the front wall, between the main front left speaker and the TV, that's about 4ft-5ft from the front-left corner of the dedicated HT room.

I also have a VTF2 (original, MKI...) in the family room downstairs positioned exactly like the VTF3-MKII.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM

TorontoBassHead is on a distinguished road
I positioned my vtf3 mk2 in the front right corner. Ports facing the corner about a foot out. Awesome for HT or music. Very smooth with my Klipsch Legends (KLF20).
Old February 4th, 2005, 3:37 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
Cool I cannot seem to make up my mind

I chose the other location because currently my VTF3R is located directly behind my listening chair, against the back wall. The port(s) are facing into the left rear corner. I have not tried it the other way around yet (hey something to try on Saturday).

In the past I have had the sub in the Left front corner, ports in and out.
Along the left side wall, and the into the room next to the listening chair.
In the left rear corner ports in and out.