HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 9:00 AM
BenWatchnU BenWatchnU is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Breaking In My VTF-3 MK 2

Has anyone else noticed a slight smell while breaking in their VTF-3 MK 2?....Thanks in advance Ben
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 4:14 PM
bjurw bjurw is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 17
bjurw is on a distinguished road
That's the smell of the walls cracking in your home; perfectly normal in the break in phase! Seriously, I didn't notice any "smell" to mine at any time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:04 PM
menglish menglish is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 9
menglish is on a distinguished road
Unhappy odor = cooking electronics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
Has anyone else noticed a slight smell while breaking in their VTF-3 MK 2?....Thanks in advance Ben
I didn't notice a smell when I first used my sub. However, the other day I was taking some measurements at low frequencies (< 25 Hz) and noticed an odor. Hope I didn't fry it. Sounds ok so far
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 6:10 PM
BenWatchnU BenWatchnU is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglish
I didn't notice a smell when I first used my sub. However, the other day I was taking some measurements at low frequencies (< 25 Hz) and noticed an odor. Hope I didn't fry it. Sounds ok so far
I would describe my situation exactly like you did, it sounds great but their was a slight electrical burning smell to it!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 9:37 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
I would describe my situation exactly like you did, it sounds great but their was a slight electrical burning smell to it!!
If you were testing at a very high level, you might have got the voice coil very hot. Should not be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 1:41 AM
BenWatchnU BenWatchnU is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu
If you were testing at a very high level, you might have got the voice coil very hot. Should not be a problem.
That would be the cause of the smell? I wasn't playing it at a very high level but I was playing the test cd you provided.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 7:11 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
That would be the cause of the smell? I wasn't playing it at a very high level but I was playing the test cd you provided.
That is just one possibility. How loud were you playing the test tones? What SPL reading were you getting, at what distance, and in what size room?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 8:10 AM
Lwang Lwang is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,520
Lwang will become famous soon enoughLwang will become famous soon enough
Might just be components getting heated up and evaporating residual laminated insulation. I smelled it once when I was burning in my maggies with 250 watt of input over a one week period. The voice coil wires were hot to the touch and the inductors were burning to the touch, but nothing burned out from it.

As long as your amp is not clipping or bottoming out your sub for extended period, the components should not overheat.

I really smelled it once when I short circuited the output of my amp while pumping a really loud test signal to my speaker and noticed that it was making a "ziiip-ziip-ziip" sound. Didn't know what was going on until I saw a stream of smoke coming out of the amp. IT went on for around 5 sec before I could jump to the amp and switch it off. The amp survived the ordeal.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 9:16 AM
Ddavidson Ddavidson is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,404
Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Subwoofer amplifers also use glues on connectors and parts that may vibrate or come loose, I have found that sometimes some of the glue residue might have gotten close to areas that get warm. During the break in period this heat can stir up a reaction which can be taken as burning like smell.

But it settles after a shortish period.

There is little to fear as there really are very few hot areas (let alone really hot) on the inner workings of the new Bash amps so any new smell should disappear pretty quckly. If not contact Hsu by phone.


Ddavidson
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
BenWatchnU BenWatchnU is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddavidson
Subwoofer amplifers also use glues on connectors and parts that may vibrate or come loose, I have found that sometimes some of the glue residue might have gotten close to areas that get warm. During the break in period this heat can stir up a reaction which can be taken as burning like smell.

But it settles after a shortish period.

There is little to fear as there really are very few hot areas (let alone really hot) on the inner workings of the new Bash amps so any new smell should disappear pretty quckly. If not contact Hsu by phone.


Ddavidson
The smell is no longer present, I was not using a SPL meter at the time so I'm not sure how loud it was playing. One thing I do know though is I have never played the sub past 12 o'clock, or the top area of the volume control. everything seems to work just fine, I was just being cautious and concerned when I asked the question. I guess I could check the sub against the other one I also purchased and have not even opened the box yet. I thought in my 20' by 25' 8' room I would need two of them and I surely haven't found that to be the case. One is doing just fine.

P.S. There was never any smoke present at any time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
The smell is no longer present, I was not using a SPL meter at the time so I'm not sure how loud it was playing. One thing I do know though is I have never played the sub past 12 o'clock, or the top area of the volume control. everything seems to work just fine, I was just being cautious and concerned when I asked the question. I guess I could check the sub against the other one I also purchased and have not even opened the box yet. I thought in my 20' by 25' 8' room I would need two of them and I surely haven't found that to be the case. One is doing just fine.

P.S. There was never any smoke present at any time.
Normally the volume should not need to go past the 9 o'clock position. The amp in the VTF-3 Mk 2 has very high gain. If you need to turn the volume up to 12 o'clock, you should use two subs. I am not surprised that the voice coil got very hot if you were playing test tones with the subwoofer volume up at 12 o'clock (of course it also depends on how high a level you set on your preamp).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Ddavidson Ddavidson is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,404
Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

It always pays to ask the question, especially when in any doubt.

Its really what this forum thing is all about.

Ordering two VTF-3's is a big first step, no one could argue that it will give you some decent headroom. I sure hope that you didn't just order two VTF's because you have been reading the spl drag racing figures that get quoted on certain public forums?

Very few people need/want to reproduce Dvd at reference level, and very few people have big enough rooms where a single VTF-3 cant deliver decent impact. If you believe the marketing drive by certain subwoofer groups you would swear SPL is king, but theres a whole lot more to good bass than sheer SPL capability.

Of course there are exceptions but the reality is that the majority of owners will never push that hard (for all but *perhaps* a brief and fleeting show off demo). You have already shown some great taste with your choice of the VTF-3's, they are effortless for HT, and yet totally neutral in their musical presentation.

Hype is one thing but reality is a VTF-3 playing your favorite song and you believing the artist is in the room with you. Enjoy.

Ddavidson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 5:45 PM
menglish menglish is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 9
menglish is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Just warmed up good...what a relief

WHEW!!!

If the Dr. says it's ok...then it must be ok.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 4th, 2005, 9:31 AM
BenWatchnU BenWatchnU is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
BenWatchnU is on a distinguished road
Pre-Amplification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu
Normally the volume should not need to go past the 9 o'clock position. The amp in the VTF-3 Mk 2 has very high gain. If you need to turn the volume up to 12 o'clock, you should use two subs. I am not surprised that the voice coil got very hot if you were playing test tones with the subwoofer volume up at 12 o'clock (of course it also depends on how high a level you set on your preamp).
I'm using a Denon AVR-3600 receiver for my home theater system. With Sony DVP-7000 and DVP-7700 DVD players. The channel levels I'm using are as follows, Front Left +6, Center +8, Front Right +6, Surround Right +10 Surround Left +10 Subwoofer -4. I'm going to experiment turning down the subs amplifier level and turning up the pre amp in the Denon to try to keep all the levels in the same area. I must include that 90% of the time I listen to concert DVD's. I like my music loud for sure, my preferance is to keep my JBL 4312's (six of them), (two for the center channel, one on each side of my TV) around 92 decibels and my sub at 95 decibels during the concert. All the JBL speakers are at a height where the mid range speaker is at ear level while I'm seated in my listening position. I'm also certain that the subs amplifier was at a much lower level when playing the test tones and when I experienced the smell. I have placed the the sub in the front right corner of my room, I had experimented with it behind my listening couch but I really didn't like the bass boom I felt on my back during the concerts. I must reiterate that the sub is working well with no signs of trouble, I just had concerns about the smell..........Ben
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 4th, 2005, 1:04 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWatchnU
I'm using a Denon AVR-3600 receiver for my home theater system. With Sony DVP-7000 and DVP-7700 DVD players. The channel levels I'm using are as follows, Front Left +6, Center +8, Front Right +6, Surround Right +10 Surround Left +10 Subwoofer -4. I'm going to experiment turning down the subs amplifier level and turning up the pre amp in the Denon to try to keep all the levels in the same area. I must include that 90% of the time I listen to concert DVD's. I like my music loud for sure, my preferance is to keep my JBL 4312's (six of them), (two for the center channel, one on each side of my TV) around 92 decibels and my sub at 95 decibels during the concert. All the JBL speakers are at a height where the mid range speaker is at ear level while I'm seated in my listening position. I'm also certain that the subs amplifier was at a much lower level when playing the test tones and when I experienced the smell. I have placed the the sub in the front right corner of my room, I had experimented with it behind my listening couch but I really didn't like the bass boom I felt on my back during the concerts. I must reiterate that the sub is working well with no signs of trouble, I just had concerns about the smell..........Ben
Don't worry about it. Your sub should be in fine shape.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forum Rules The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Technical Support: The best way to get tech support for serious issues is to call or email us. Questions asked on the forum may not be answered by qualified professionals.

No "Flaming": Spiteful talk and flaming wars will lead to "time-outs" for parties involved.

Shootouts: Shootouts are comparisons between products. We need to know about shootouts before allowing them on the forum, so call us and talk to the director of Sales before posting. Otherwise, your shootout may be removed.

Add to Reputation: Once you are a registered member, you can click this icon to add to the tally of other members' Rep Points. You must vote for seven other people before you can vote for the same person twice.

Report Bad Posts: Once you register, click this icon to let Administrators know if they should review a post. Please be specific as to why action might be needed.

HSU RESEARCH IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COMMENTS MADE BY THIRD PARTY INDIVIDUALS ON THIS FORUM.

Thanks for reading the rules. Have a good time :)

In Association With