HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
Superbit DVD's.

Anyone have any experience with Superbit DVD's? I have been looking into them and they seem like the closest thing to HD-DVD we will see. I like the idea of a Movie being just that. No extra dialogue, making of, extra stuff to fluff it up for the non-audiophile or videophile. What I'm after is the Best QUALITY picture and sound I can get. Have a Zenith DVB318, Onkyo DD/DTS receiver, Hitachi HDTV. Thanks
Old April 4th, 2005, 1:18 PM

Lwang will become famous soon enoughLwang will become famous soon enough
I thought videophiles want those extra bits and things, at least the extras that is relevent to the enrichment of one's knowledge of the films. Or else companies like Criterion wouldn't exist in the first place.
Old April 4th, 2005, 2:46 PM

BradJudy is on a distinguished road
There's a difference between a videophile (someone who wants the best possible image) and a movie buff (who wants the extras).
Old April 4th, 2005, 2:52 PM

I guess it would be videophile vs cinephile.
Old April 4th, 2005, 4:57 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Just a personal opinion!

I'm in favor of extras rather than picture quality improvement. I do have a couple of Superbit DVD's that I bought out of curiosity. I don't doubt what the Superbit technology can bring in term of picture quality improvement. To save space for picture improvement, it has to sacrifice extras. Sometimes, I need to go beyond the movie and extras are just designed for this.

Unfortunately I don't own high-end a/v system so it will be hard for me to quantify that picture quality difference. You probably can see this with plasma TV or expensive projector.

With today's new technology like upconversion to HDTV resolution integrated into HDTV-ready TVs, I don't even see the need to buy DVD coded in SuperBit. For this matter of fact, I have personnally seen specific high-end TV, using regular DVDs, has the ability to deliver crystal-clear picture in so real and beautiful color. So, like it says, if you don't have high-end equipment, you probably don't use the technology at its full potential.

But audio is an another matter and I don't think the one from Superbit DVD will be much different from regular DVDs.

What also really matters to me is to have the right speakers and the right sub, what will be driving these speakers/sub can be anything because I have heard even inexpensive receiver could get the job done beautifully.
As long as I have good sounding system, I can live with average to good video.

Having said that, I'm not even sure that I will be investing heavily on Superbit technology. One day, all of this will be obsolete, if HD capable equipment and its matching media become available.
Old April 4th, 2005, 8:11 PM

If it is a movie of non-significance, I could dump the extras for the sake of better picture. Since much of those that are packed onto a movie are just fluff, either to give more exposures to the stars if they are famous or fillers that does not enrich your viewing experience of the movie.

But superbit are slightly more better defined, something no amount of scaling or bi-cubic interpolation could extract. Sharpness in a low-res disc are created by enhancing the edges, which might look sharper but are actually just noise. Also, superbit discs has DTS by default, which is superior to DD.
Old April 5th, 2005, 6:00 AM
Opinionated Member

Sorny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwang
Also, superbit discs has DTS by default, which is superior to DD.
If by superior, you mean a far less efficient CODEC, lacking modern features, then I'll agree.

If you a DD or a DTS mix (unaltered, which is rarely the case with DTS as most are "sweetened"), I doubt you'd be able to tell one from the other. They both do thier job, but I think DD doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Sorny
Old April 5th, 2005, 6:35 AM

You mean DD is sweetened, with its THX mode that goes and re-eq the center channel.

My processor has a mode in which dialogue normalization is bypassed and plays back at the level in which the material was mixed. This is usually how DTS would sound, and I could compare them easily. Any other way of comparing between the two at the same volume level is moot.

Dolby has always been a laggard in technology right from the start where they bypassed Gerzon's velocity vector technology with infinite playback channel capability over 2 carrier channels (or full periphonic playback utilizing 3 channels), instead they went with their own dolby surround, and forever have to force the whole industry to constantly upgrade whenever they feel like a new channel is needed.
Old April 5th, 2005, 9:35 AM

I agree that there will be a time when we will all be buying HD-DVD's and all this will be a moot point. But the simple fact is that we aren't there yet. Most of us here probably do not have "high end" systems.

My system is NOT "high-end" by any means. What I'm saying is that for the money Superbit seems to be the best picture quality you can get. You can upconvert a crappy signal all day and you still have a crappy signal. You get out what you started with. All the "fluff" they add to DVD's have to take away form the picture quality. There is only so much room on a DVD to store info. Look at any movie which is longer than 2 hours and you see a definite difference in pic quality vs. one that is shorter than 2 hours. I think the "fluff" has it's place for certain people. It is NOT for me. I never watch the "bonus" material.

What I want is the best pic and sound quality for my money period. I guess the answer is to wait until HD-DVD format is released and then wait some more for the prices to drop to a realistic level. Superbit could be just a gimmick, who knows. Sony is full of themselves and their proprietary formats. The reason I started this thread was not to argue about Superbit, but rather to get opinions on how good or not it is. Do you see a difference in the PIC QUALITY???
Old April 5th, 2005, 7:39 PM

bjurw, my apologies that I was drifted a little bit away to the extras discussion that Superbits lacks. But from a realistic point of view of a mainstream consumer, extras is really a welcome treat. And believe or not, the only way studios can get you to buy dvd for film you have already seen in theater is through extras which I have some preferences for them as deleted scenes and director's commentary on good movies. But for Superbits deluxe editions, they do have the extras on a second disc.

Just go back to superior quality question, I do believe in theory that doubling the normal DVD bit rate, will surely yield a better image. This is perfectly logical to get it. I also do believe that Superbits DVDs will satisfy one's quest in search of picture perfection. And that DTS audio track is a must to me if the original DVD did not incorporate it. For example, I found out that the Das Boot Uncut original version I saw did not have the DTS audio track but the Superbit Das Boot DVD does, the only problem is in German and I hate reading text during a film. When you get to that level of quality, give us the DTS in English! No wonder I did not get any satisfactory result on the depth charge scenes.

To my belief, it will be very hard for one to see this difference. The best way is to rely from professional Superbit DVD's review. Since not all Superbits DVD's good as they claimed, professional reviews will find them right away because they have the right equipments to do it.

I probably can discuss about picture quality improvement if I have two identical TV sets and DVD players side by side with the same video interconnects either HDMI/DVI/Component cables but I don't.

Below is an interesting article to read on one of the Mask Of Zorro Deluxe Edition Superbit DVD by the DVD verdict site. Some text excerpt from the below link will not be funny for Superbit believers though:

"Comparing the Special Edition and Superbit transfers scene for scene on my 35" Trinitron proved only that one would need the bionic vision of the Six Million Dollar Man to detect any significant difference in quality between the two."

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/zorrosuperbit.php
Old April 5th, 2005, 9:44 PM

Active Speaker is on a distinguished road
Instead of Superbits, buy Criterion: the movies are MUCH better.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Superbit: for videophiles
Criterion: for cinephiles
Infinifilms: for people who can't sit still
Old April 6th, 2005, 6:27 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
While there are differences in quality among DVDs, they will pale in comparison with the upcoming HDDVD (or whichever standard wins).

I have already slowed down my movie purchases in anticipation.
Old April 6th, 2005, 8:19 AM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I have Armageddon Criterion and think it looks pretty good. I agree about the "new" format coming out in the future. Trouble is that even if it is released this year the co$t will be HUGE at first. I'll wait til the price becomes reasonable first. For now, I'll just have to continue my quest for the best pic quality given what technology we have. New format will be exciting for sure. I guess it should be as dramatic as SD compared to HD. Looking forward to the future. In the meantime, I love my HSU system with VT12 and VTF3. Could not ask for more bang for my buck.
Old April 6th, 2005, 9:59 AM

But not with certified HD Divx Players though. The current model from IO-data is not that expensive. See links below for currently available players. But HD Divx titles is an another matter. I have been looking for similar DIVX player for a while since I watch a lot of regular Divx avis files.

Imagine to be able to squeeze an entire HD movie at 720p resolution at 4meg bit rate in a single DVD can be phenomenal.

HD Divx Faq:

http://www.divxnetworks.com/solutions/hd/faq.php#10

HD Divx Player:

http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?p=34

HD Divx Contents:

You can download the contents to see it yourself on your HD Divx player.

http://www.divx.com/hd/

DVD format war's article:

The below link seems to be expired but while the page is loading, click stop on your browser, and it will stop complaining but don't refresh the page then you will be able to read the article.

http://news.com.com/DVD+format+war%2...html?tag=st_lh

Probably it will be one of the paths I will pick for higher quality picture while waiting for mpeg2 HD technology.