HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 20th, 2005, 8:24 AM

Skeeter is on a distinguished road
Buy now or wait?

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

After a bit of research, I've decided on the VTF3. Price/Performance and all of the good reviews made that decision pretty easy.

I've seen some posts that suggest that a new VTF3 (HO?) will be coming out soon, perhaps in June. Should I wait for that or just jump in and buy the current VTF3? I don't think that the Turbocharger mod would pass the WAF, which makes me want to wait for the new HO version.

Any thoughts or new information on the new products?
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM

spyboy is on a distinguished road
Just off the top of my head, I would wait for the HO. Since you seem to have the $$$ to add the Turbo to the current VTF-3 (but not the spouse acceptance factor) the additional hundreds of $$$ for the HO should not be a problem for you. So, go with your instinct. Wait a couple months for an HO. The HO should be a stellar performer and worth the wait. You will end up with one of the sleekest, highest performers available for anywhere near the money.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
I would wait. I think the rest of us with the VTF-3 are waiting on pins and needles til our "upgrade" comes out. I would not expect it to be hundreds of dollars more from what I have read. If you are impatient like myself, you would just go with the VTF-3 now and get the upgrade later. At least you would have a stellar sub in the meantime. Point is, either way you go, you won't be disappointed in the HSU.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM

spyboy is on a distinguished road
I certainly hope the HO will be less than $200 more than the VTF-3. Anything less than $899 will be a pleasant surprise.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
You might as well wait. VTF-3 mk2 will still be available somewhere even when the VTF-3HO comes out.
Old May 20th, 2005, 3:26 PM

Thanks for the input. I can wait for a little while, I think. It won't be easy though. Hopefully the cost won't be hundreds of $$$ more. I agree with spyboy that an $899 or better price point would be great.

"The waiting is the hardest part..." -Tom Petty
Old May 21st, 2005, 6:28 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Dear Skeeter,

Generally it is always beneficial to wait for new technology to come out. That said, this is one of those rare and amazing cases where consumers should be thrilled whether they purchase a VTF-3 variant today, or a VTF-3 variant tommorow. With the ability to turbocharge and in a sense futureproof, one just can't go wrong either way.

Thank you for being supportive and understanding! You will all be rewarded when the new technology comes out, trust me on that one.

Sincerely,
Old May 21st, 2005, 3:15 PM

gchon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Dear Skeeter,

Generally it is always beneficial to wait for new technology to come out. That said, this is one of those rare and amazing cases where consumers should be thrilled whether they purchase a VTF-3 variant today, or a VTF-3 variant tommorow. With the ability to turbocharge and in a sense futureproof, one just can't go wrong either way.

Thank you for being supportive and understanding! You will all be rewarded when the new technology comes out, trust me on that one.

Sincerely,
but wont the new vtf3HO have more output at all frequencies? I thought there was an updated driver, bigger amp and larger enclosure? This would tell me that the HO version will have more output and go lower than the normal vtf3.
Old May 21st, 2005, 3:47 PM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchon
but wont the new vtf3HO have more output at all frequencies? I thought there was an updated driver, bigger amp and larger enclosure? This would tell me that the HO version will have more output and go lower than the normal vtf3.

I am pretty certain it will, I think Peter was just implying that both the current VTF-3 and upcoming HO model are/will be great and you really cannot go wrong either way, esp. with the option to “turbo-charge” the current VTF. If I was in the market for a sub right now I would defiantly wait, for me there is nothing worse than getting a new toy and then having a newer/better model come out a little while later.
Old May 21st, 2005, 9:39 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
I wonder how the VTF-3mkII with a turbocharger will compare to a VTF-3HO without turbo at 20Hz. Dual 3" ports in 18Hz mode vs single 4" port in 18Hz mode. Amp power differences and driver differences are minor at this frequency.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 2:31 AM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
Even without the soon to be released turbo charger, the VTF-3 MK2 simply destroys the competition. I don't even want to tell those super high end audiophiles what they're missing out on. Those that I speak of have the Mark Levinson money is no object gear.

For the love of god, set your VTF-3 MK2's to max extension. The low end is where my greatest joys come from. You cannot hear what you are feeling down there!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
New and improved does not always = Better. In this case it "probably" will be. Peter makes a great point in saying that either way you go, you will not be disappointed. I'm just glad it's not me making the decision as I already own a VTF3-MKII and am looking forward to the upgrade.
Old May 24th, 2005, 4:32 AM

Mrock is on a distinguished road
I ordered my VTF-3 a few weeks ago and I'm glad I didn't wait. I have an 18'x25' HT, with cathedral ceilings, and a back wall that's open to the rest of the house. The volume on the MKII, in Max-Extension mode, is only set to about 25%. I don't want any more bass than what I'm getting from it today. I'm glad I didn't wait for the turbo/new model. I doubt I'll spring for it. I'm totally satisfied with the VTF-3, as is.
HSU VTF-3 MKII
Denon 3805 AVR
Denon 1815 DVD/CD changer
Old May 24th, 2005, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrock
I ordered my VTF-3 a few weeks ago and I'm glad I didn't wait. I have an 18'x25' HT, with cathedral ceilings, and a back wall that's open to the rest of the house. The volume on the MKII, in Max-Extension mode, is only set to about 25%. I don't want any more bass than what I'm getting from it today. I'm glad I didn't wait for the turbo/new model. I doubt I'll spring for it. I'm totally satisfied with the VTF-3, as is.
Yeah, I keep thinking that the current VTF-3 may be all the sub I need. I'm going to Santa Clara next week and may have a chance to audition one. There is a dealer in the area, but I don't know if they actually have one in stock. Hearing one would help a lot in making my decision.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Okay, now I have to wait. I just blew most of my cash on a Denon 3805 receiver. Our local Ultimate Electronics is closing down and I picked up their last boxed unit for $720 (40% off retail). I watched 7 of them sell between 20% and 30% off, and thought a good price point would be at 40%. Seemed like a bargain to me.

Sometimes waiting is good, and I'm sure waiting for the new HO will be good as well.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM

caseyh is on a distinguished road
I'm sort of a newbie. I recently purchased a VTF-2 MK2. I know it's a different model than what is being discussed here, but my questions still apply.

What does HO stand for? What does it mean?

What is a turbocharger? Some kind of flexible tube port extension? What does it do?

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by caseyh : July 19th, 2005 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo