HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 1st, 2005, 1:53 PM

animalchin is on a distinguished road
Exclamation question regarding rear speakers

do the speakers need to face each other? My friend is here and he does a lot of setups and told me i should leave them slightly angled towards the center of the room.
Any ideas?
Old June 1st, 2005, 4:53 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Definitely not!

I have the L/R rear sats on the side facing each other. The main reason for their location is due to lack of wall behind back of the sofa.

But it is also one of the location suggested in below link I have already posted a while ago. I have seen different placement of rear surrounds on different sub/sats and they do also achieve good results.

So far, I have not had any problem with surround soundstage and I'm quite happy with the use of the additional rear center as matrixed use which fills the back of the room nicely. You need to try out various locations to see which one fits best and for this you will need some tests tracks but you can start with the THX trailers which come on many DVD's.

http://www.4seating.com/audio_DolbyReference.htm

In Sensible Sound's review on the VT-12s, I recall reviewer mentioned for best results, rear surrounds should be located out to the sides and not toward the rear.
Old June 1st, 2005, 7:09 PM

animalchin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafguy
Definitely not!

I have the L/R rear sats on the side facing each other. The main reason for their location is due to lack of wall behind back of the sofa.

But it is also one of the location suggested in below link I have already posted a while ago. I have seen different placement of rear surrounds on different sub/sats and they do also achieve good results.

So far, I have not had any problem with surround soundstage and I'm quite happy with the use of the additional rear center as matrixed use which fills the back of the room nicely. You need to try out various locations to see which one fits best and for this you will need some tests tracks but you can start with the THX trailers which come on many DVD's.

http://www.4seating.com/audio_DolbyReference.htm

In Sensible Sound's review on the VT-12s, I recall reviewer mentioned for best results, rear surrounds should be located out to the sides and not toward the rear.
Thx tafguy....
Currently they are pointing a bit to the front (angled), not the back wall.
I read the link...makes sense, so I'll adjust them so they face each other.
Thx again.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 1:40 PM

Lieutenant Dan is on a distinguished road
So, how well do these little speakers do for surrounds? In a small room with the Hsu sub at work, do they get it done for 'full range' rear effects, like explosions towards the rear? Or voices from the side/rear?

My concern is that the front stage might be fuller sounding than the rears with the VT12 arrangement. Thoughts and opinions from owners?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 2:29 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
The small speakers do very well in the rear. Theoretically there could be a hole between the crossover 80 hz and where the rears play down to about 120 hz or so. In practice (because the cuttoff is gradual and because the vast majority of sound to the rears is not deep bass to begin with) there really does not seem to be anything missing.

I have had the VT-12 and STF-2 set up in a 35 x 55 room with 11 ft ceilings (for a movie night) and while I had my reciever turned up quite a bit more than I do at home it was able to fill the room nicely (I actually had a few people say it was too loud during explosions). One of the movies we played was ladder 49 and there is a scene where the bell suddenly clangs on the right rear speaker - it was very loud and sounded very full.

Last edited by Dudley : June 3rd, 2005 at 2:44 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 2:44 PM

Lieutenant Dan is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dudley...doesn't sound like too much of a concern, then, in my little room (roughly 12 by 14 bedroom). Bring the thunder!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 2:51 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
In a room that size there will be plenty of thunder.