HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 2nd, 2013, 2:21 PM

rbpeirce is on a distinguished road
Where to put the ULS-15s

I will be moving to a smaller house with a smaller Audio room, approximately 12'x16'. The seating area (couch) is along the 16' side. The ideal place, I am told, for the subs would be on either side of the couch. However, the one side is by a door and won't work. There is currently a Boston Acoustics Subwoofer in one corner, so I thought that would be a good place for the first ULS-15. The problem is the second one. I can put it next to the couch or in the opposite corner. Which is likely to work best?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Media.pdf (888.1 KB, 349 views)
Old September 2nd, 2013, 5:16 PM

RayK is on a distinguished road
Have you considered stacking the ULS-15s in the front corner (Placement 1)?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 5:00 AM

No. Is that a suitable alternative? Why not the opposite corner (top right) where I already have wiring? And why not just one?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 9:55 AM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi rbpeirce,

Are the blue boxes with the x's in them placement markers, or does that mean you cannot place them there?

If they are placement markers, I would try placing one in the right and left front corners. Placing nearfield may give you a good mid-bass response, but that may cause cancellations in the deeper bass.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 1:33 PM

Thanks for the advice. That is what I was looking for.

The Xs just indicate the subwoofers. The one in the top right is pretty well fixed. I am trying to figure out where to place the left one.

In my current room in PA, both are against the from wall, and I get a fairly substantial dip around 30Hz from the room. If I put them both against the front wall in VA I will probably also get a substantial dip somewhere. I thought this might be alleviated by placing one woofer next to the couch, but I had no way to know if that might be the case.

In PA I used FabFilter on my Mac to create a very smooth response curve, but I couldn't do much about the notch around 30Hz. I was hoping there might be some way to avoid that in VA. One possibility was putting the woofers right next to the couch except I only have room to do that with one of them.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:27 AM

SME is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest going with either: (1) one in each front corner; or (2) both in placement 2. For placement 2, you could either put them adjacent to each other or stack them.

Putting one sub in the front corner and one at your side may be okay if you have separate sub outputs and can adjust the delays independently. Technologies like Audyssey Multi Sub EQ in some (but not all) 5.2 and 7.2 receivers do this automatically.

Does your 30 Hz notch appear only at one listening position or over a wider area in the room? Sometimes it's more effective to move the listener than the subs.
Old September 5th, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME View Post
I'd suggest going with either: (1) one in each front corner; or (2) both in placement 2. For placement 2, you could either put them adjacent to each other or stack them.

Putting one sub in the front corner and one at your side may be okay if you have separate sub outputs and can adjust the delays independently. Technologies like Audyssey Multi Sub EQ in some (but not all) 5.2 and 7.2 receivers do this automatically.

Does your 30 Hz notch appear only at one listening position or over a wider area in the room? Sometimes it's more effective to move the listener than the subs.
I'm going to try the front corners. I can tune the frequency response but not the delays. I have left and right channel signals, so I don't really want to place them together.

The notch is at the listening position. The problem is I will get a notch wherever I move. It will just be at a difference frequency. It is a function of room size.

It is such a sharp notch, only a few db wide, that I have boosted the signal somewhat to compensate. I know that should not be done, but it so narrow I have not noticed any problems at normal listening levels.
Old September 5th, 2013, 1:17 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
You can split your L output and send it to the L inputs on both subs. Likewise, you can split your R output and send it to the R inputs on both subs. The subs will mix the two signals down to mono, which is usually fine if the crossover isn't set too high.

There are some that argue that presenting bass in stereo provides benefits over mono bass, but I am skeptical. I suspect that a stereo bass signal will interact with different rooms less predictably than a mono bass signal. For small rooms then, it's probably better to mix down to mono in any sub configuration.
Old September 5th, 2013, 5:31 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
I have 4 ULS-15's and have spent a huge amount of time evaluating various positions. Several comments, based on my experiences: stacking subs rarely produces good results, and corner placement is not ideal.

Positioning subs is almost impossible without a way to measure results. If you are serious about optimizing bass response, you need to invest the time (and a small amount of money) on a measurement system. REW is a great choice.

Again, based on my experience, the first position you should try for two subs is at the 1/4 and 3/4 points along the front wall. With room dimensions of 12x16, you will have modes at 35, 71, and 106Hz associated with the 16' width, and at 47, 94, and 141Hz associated with the 12' length. Placing the subs at the 1/4 and 3/4 points places them in the null of the 71Hz mode, with the effect of smoothing this mode, which is likely to be the most problematic mode in the room. The 94, 106, and 141Hz modes are above what the sub would normally be asked to reproduce, assuming you have a crossover of 80Hz or more.

Anyway, just my input based on a lot of experimenting. Good luck with your experimentation (and measuring!).
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMeeker View Post
I have 4 ULS-15's and have spent a huge amount of time evaluating various positions. Several comments, based on my experiences: stacking subs rarely produces good results, and corner placement is not ideal.

Positioning subs is almost impossible without a way to measure results. If you are serious about optimizing bass response, you need to invest the time (and a small amount of money) on a measurement system. REW is a great choice.

Again, based on my experience, the first position you should try for two subs is at the 1/4 and 3/4 points along the front wall. With room dimensions of 12x16, you will have modes at 35, 71, and 106Hz associated with the 16' width, and at 47, 94, and 141Hz associated with the 12' length. Placing the subs at the 1/4 and 3/4 points places them in the null of the 71Hz mode, with the effect of smoothing this mode, which is likely to be the most problematic mode in the room. The 94, 106, and 141Hz modes are above what the sub would normally be asked to reproduce, assuming you have a crossover of 80Hz or more.

Anyway, just my input based on a lot of experimenting. Good luck with your experimentation (and measuring!).
Thanks. That's very helpful.