HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 13th, 2014, 4:46 AM

tcsekhar is on a distinguished road
Atmos speakers coming Dr Hsu?

Any info about any new speakers with upward firing for Dolby Atmos that Dr Hsu is planning to release any time soon?
Old August 13th, 2014, 2:22 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Tcsekhar,

Atmos is still fairly new. We did talk about it a month or so ago, but as of right now, there are no plans to release an upward firing speaker for Atmos. Thanks for asking though. It's always nice to hear what others would like to see.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old August 13th, 2014, 5:02 PM

RayK is on a distinguished road
I'm really looking for an up-firing Atmos speaker add-on to place atop the HSU HB-1 MK-2 speakers since the midrange AVRs (Denon, Marantz, Onyko) are featuring Atmos and dropping their loyalty for Audyssey with 2014 models delivered 2H14. I'm really disappointed HSU Research isn't ready to announce add-ons and / or integrated Atmos-ready models.
Old August 14th, 2014, 4:36 AM

ilonggo is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting also, getting ready to upgrade. I noticed, where is Pete?
Old August 14th, 2014, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Hi RayK,

Well, atmos for the home theater market was only announced just this year (3-4 months ago?) with the implementation in the receivers mentioned earlier. There's been a lot of talk about this, but who can be sure whether this format will really catch on or not, as of right now? If you want to go the atmos route, you can always use our HIW-1 speakers for it. If mounting them is not an option, you can place our HB-1 Mk2's on a stand and point it towards the ceiling to basically achieve the same effect. That would actually be better than adding a module on top of your HB-1 Mk2 because you wouldn't be nearly as limited in placement and it would allow you to achieve better imaging.

Unfortunately, Pete is no longer with the company.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old August 14th, 2014, 7:51 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
I agree with Kevin.. why jump into something that right now is just a fad? It's like people who go running off from one new restaurant to another chasing after stuff because it is supposed to be the in thing to do.

Here's Audioholics take on it, which to me makes a lot of sense:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec...y-atmos-is-doa
Old January 3rd, 2015, 3:40 PM

Daven is on a distinguished road
I've heard Atmos in both a real home theater as well as someone's living room home theater and I doubt this will ever take off (with the enthusiasts) as something they have to have. that being said, if HSU decided to go with an Atmos speaker I would probably consider it but only if I had the perfect listening area which is ideal for home theater.

Like 3D this is just another fad which will be with all the new AVR's in the next few years but most will probably never use it.
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM

effdbee is on a distinguished road
From what I understand the Atmos speakers are compromises for people unwilling to mount real ceiling speakers. Always better to mount reg-ler speakers in the ceiling. Except per the sales(con)men. I just bought an Atmos ready Onkyo TX-NR1030 to replace my TX-NR807. Sound is a tremendous improvement driving 2 uls15s, 1 mbm and 11 Hsu speakers.
Old January 26th, 2015, 5:39 PM
Administrator

I actually talked with a couple of guys who tried the upward firing speakers and they said it was very localizable and it muddied up the front sound stage. They both went for the in-ceiling speaker route instead.
Old March 7th, 2015, 5:22 PM

effdbee is on a distinguished road
Just installed some ceiling speakers and programmed to Dolby Surround (atmos) and Oh yeah. I'm surprised. KISS is jamming right here right now. Finally getting what I hoped and paid for. Monoprice 8" speakers was the answer D#$%&. Round Hsu speakers would've had my $ but not this time. DTS NEOX fr music always sounded weird but Dolby Surround (atmos sounds great.
Old August 26th, 2015, 8:58 PM

Todd G. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Hsu View Post
I actually talked with a couple of guys who tried the upward firing speakers and they said it was very localizable and it muddied up the front sound stage. They both went for the in-ceiling speaker route instead.
Then the September 2015 Sound And Vision article "Dolby Atmos vs. Dolby Atmos" is worth the time it takes to read.

For me, I think Atmos will be a lot less of a fad than 3D television and 3D BD movies. Even when we first got a Blu-ray player, the picture was obviously superior. But it was the uncompressed audio that blew me away when I watched Rush: Snakes and Arrows on BD for the first time. Atmos has the ability to place audio objects throughout the room (enveloping the viewer in total surround sound--very three dimensional) whereas the television viewing "experience" can only be displayed in front of the viewer (still very two dimensional).

One of the key statements is that Dolby says that ceiling speakers are preferred in a Dolby Atmos theater. This is great for new construction since access behind drywall is unlimited for a while, but many enthusiasts will likely wind up purchasing add-on modules (at the very least), running more wires to the modules, and saving a good bit of money if they don't want to do partial messy demo and repair in their already finished walls. Dolby also states that ceiling speakers with "wide dispersion" are preferred, ceiling heights should range from 8-14 feet, and that the room should (obviously) be a mix of reflective and absorptive surfaces.

Another detail is when all AVR manufacturers will be able to include Atmos, DTS-X, and any other height-enabled surround technology in their upcoming AVR lines. Some of these other codecs can be purchased as "upgrades" and uploaded as a firmware update would be.

Still, author Darryl Wilkinson was very impressed with the 4 channel Atmos (5.1.4) ceiling and floor speaker configurations, but the 2 channel Atmos (5.1.2) lacked depth behind the listener. He also stated demo material revealed the ceiling configuration makes objects sound as though they are more elevated above listeners than the floor/add-on configurations.

I'm finalizing our basement finish now and fully intend to design our system and speaker array as a 7.2.4 with in-ceiling Atmos speakers. This may start out as a 5.1.4 system, but prepped for upgrades with additional wiring installed to future speaker locations.

Last edited by Todd G. : August 27th, 2015 at 11:55 AM.