HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 15th, 2015, 7:35 PM

RayK is on a distinguished road
Back to the basics

This Forum and other sites have unending conversations about how to squeeze the last db from a subwoofer and tune the space for a nearly straight line response from the lowest frequencies we can't hear directly.

What about the fronts and surrounds? How should they be positioned for 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, or whatever in relation to each other? I enjoyed auditioning the HSU products at the 2012 RMAF and I can picture them even today. Certainly the seating was not optimized for the MLP (or, perhaps it was?) with 6 (or however many) chairs lined up with the surrounds at 90deg. roughly in the middle of the hotel room.

Please comment on my proposed room layout in an apartment living / dining room.

I'm uncertain about the following relationships for a 5.1 setup:
1. Distance from front wall for the fronts AND relationship with the TV.
2. Distance from back wall for the surrounds.
3. Angle of surrounds to the main listing position and the other two sofa seats (the sofa is a recliner with three motorized seats).
4. Should the surrounds be in line with the fronts?
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2015, 10:13 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
This Forum and other sites have unending conversations about how to squeeze the last db from a subwoofer and tune the space for a nearly straight line response from the lowest frequencies we can't hear directly.

What about the fronts and surrounds? How should they be positioned for 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, or whatever in relation to each other? I enjoyed auditioning the HSU products at the 2012 RMAF and I can picture them even today. Certainly the seating was not optimized for the MLP (or, perhaps it was?) with 6 (or however many) chairs lined up with the surrounds at 90deg. roughly in the middle of the hotel room.

Please comment on my proposed room layout in an apartment living / dining room.

I'm uncertain about the following relationships for a 5.1 setup:
1. Distance from front wall for the fronts AND relationship with the TV.
2. Distance from back wall for the surrounds.
3. Angle of surrounds to the main listing position and the other two sofa seats (the sofa is a recliner with three motorized seats).
4. Should the surrounds be in line with the fronts?
The recommended placements for mains speakers (i.e., everything but the subs) are specified in terms of angles rather than distances. Most AVRs these days will add a different delay to the sound from each speaker to make sure it all arrives at your ears at the same time. Relative to the line going between the main listening position and the center channel, the fronts should be placed at 22-30 degrees on each side of the center. The surrounds should be placed at 100-120 degrees on each side. There are slight variations on this. See Wikipedia for example.

In reality, adhering to recommended placement is not always best or even possible. Another school of thought says to always have the front left and right placed against each end of the screen (as is the case in theaters) so that sounds that pan between the two sound like they are coming from the right part of the screen. This may be a good idea for home theater, but it will definitely compromise music listening. I recommend going for 22 degrees as a compromise.

I have found that 90 degree placements can work fairly well for surrounds. In your specific example, I'm concerned that your surrounds are placed rather close to the listening area. This is especially true if they are on stands at ear level rather than being elevated. If they are farther away, then you will likely have better performance for listeners not sitting dead center. If you are able to place them farther apart, I think that would be better than placing them so they are closer to the recommended angle. On the other hand, if you mostly listen alone, you may prefer the closer placements. Likewise, you may want to experiment with the angle that you point the surrounds. Will you be using any kind of auto EQ? If so, different angles may have a big impact on what the result sounds like.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME View Post
I'm concerned that your surrounds are placed rather close to the listening area.
SME, I share that concern. However, I'm unwilling to dedicate more wall space in this apartment to the HT perimeter. I'm also concerned that the MLP will be blocked when guests are sitting beside the MLP so I plan to begin the speaker layout a little behind the 90deg that you refer to (yet not exceeding the 110deg recommendations). Apartment lifestyles do cramp HT applications.

I'm also concerned that my location about 35ft from an arterial street with three bus routes passing as frequently as 8 minutes (plus motorcycles and other vehicles) will interfere with Audyssey setup. I might need to get a calibrator in to EQ the space so the process can be "paused" until traffic quiets down.

Thank you for taking time for your response.

Last edited by RayK : June 22nd, 2015 at 6:54 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 8:33 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
SME, I share that concern. However, I'm unwilling to dedicate more wall space in this apartment to the HT perimeter. I'm also concerned that the MLP will be blocked when guests are sitting beside the MLP so I plan to begin the speaker layout a little behind the 90deg that you refer to (yet not exceeding the 110deg recommendations). Apartment lifestyles do cramp HT applications.

I'm also concerned that my location about 35ft from an arterial street with three bus routes passing as frequently as 8 minutes (plus motorcycles and other vehicles) will interfere with Audyssey setup. I might need to get a calibrator in to EQ the space so the process can be "paused" until traffic quiets down.

Thank you for taking time for your response.
That's fine.

I wouldn't worry about your noisy street too much. If Audyssey hears too much background noise, it will usually re-run the test signals at a higher volume. My receiver also lets me re-do any measurements if an unexpected noise happens.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 8:26 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
I don't see the center channel speaker in the diagram. For listening to movies and TV, the center channel is the most important speaker, and its placement can affect dialog intelligibility. If the center is placed inside of the equipment rack/TV stand in the diagram, you might want to consider placing it in front of the TV stand on its own stand. This can go a long way towards improving the sound quality.

Otherwise, SME has given good guidelines. My left, right and MLP form an equilateral triangle, which is a traditional approach that works especially well for music listening. My surrounds are at 90 degrees, which works well.

A single sub placed in the corner is not likely to produce the best bass response.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 8:57 PM

Jerry,

The HC1 MK2 is noted below the HDTV. It will be on a shelf as close to the TV stand as possible and angled at the MLP.

With your surrounds at 90deg, do you have one or more listening positions in the same plane as the MLP? I plan to start the surrounds' configuration at about 110deg to project sound around the secondary listening positions.

I neglected to add the general room dimension of 12'6" x 24'6". The mains and MLP are nearly an equilateral triangle. That is an aspect I can test, among others.

Last edited by RayK : June 24th, 2015 at 8:22 PM.