HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 19th, 2004, 4:47 PM

Bish
Question Just got STF-2, have crossover question!

I am a newbie when it comes to audio. I just bought a STF-2 per Dr. Hsu's suggestion and it rocks(comepare to my cheapo 50W aiwa). I was completely mesmerized by the bass it produced with "Independence Day" DVD. When the moon surface was shaking (from aliencraft), so was my floor. But now I'm trying setup the system properly for both music and HT and I would like to know following:

1)
I have Onkyo 501 and it has options to set the crossover from 60 - 150 (with increment of 20). My front speaker (floor standing) frequency (according to mfg says is 40-20K). What should I set my crossover to on the receiver? On the subwoofer manual it says set it to small. Would that mean set it to 150???? What is the frequency of the subwoofer? Am I losing sound between 90-150, if I set it to 150?

2)
Is there a break-in period for this unit, if yes usually how long does it take?

3) The BASS and TREBLE on my receiver, how much of roll does it play on producing currect balanced sound? should I just leave them to 0? What advantages do I get from tweaking these? in other words, is it better to crank up the bass or keep it low?

I just bought the SPL meter from radioshack. I'll be messing with setups this weekend. But I'm already having fun with system. Thanks for the great product.

Bish
Old February 19th, 2004, 5:07 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
tone controls - leave them at 0. Did the Dr. recommended the place to put the sub? Location is very important. Xover: 80hz
Old February 19th, 2004, 5:18 PM

Bish
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes. I have placed the subwooder where Dr. Hsu had recommended. It sounded great. However I still need to fine tune the system and I'm learning as I go.
Old February 19th, 2004, 5:23 PM

I just learned as well not too long ago - used to do it by ear.

Last edited by tdekany : November 19th, 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old February 26th, 2004, 6:06 PM
Audiophile

Sasha_G will become famous soon enoughSasha_G will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish
1)
I have Onkyo 501 and it has options to set the crossover from 60 - 150 (with increment of 20). My front speaker (floor standing) frequency (according to mfg says is 40-20K). What should I set my crossover to on the receiver? On the subwoofer manual it says set it to small. Would that mean set it to 150???? What is the frequency of the subwoofer? Am I losing sound between 90-150, if I set it to 150?
Set it to SMALL. The Crossover will still be adjustable, so set it to 80 Hz.

Quote:
2)
Is there a break-in period for this unit, if yes usually how long does it take?
Give it a few days to break in.

Quote:
3) The BASS and TREBLE on my receiver, how much of roll does it play on producing currect balanced sound? should I just leave them to 0? What advantages do I get from tweaking these? in other words, is it better to crank up the bass or keep it low?

I just bought the SPL meter from radioshack. I'll be messing with setups this weekend. But I'm already having fun with system. Thanks for the great product.

Bish
Leave them at 0. Use the SUBWOOFER level control on the receiver to fine-tune the subwoofer's volume to the rest of the system at normal listening levels, in your listening seat.
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Burger is on a distinguished road
Bish,

There is no "small" or "large" speaker setting on the Onkyo 501. The only adjustments you can make are crossover, subwoofer mode, and number of speakers connected to the receiver.

I would set the crossover to 60Hz or 80Hz based on your spl meter and which one sounds best to you.

The Subwoofer mode tells the receiver from which channels to send low frequency signals to the sub. I have mine set to mode one, which is all channels plus LFE.
Old March 31st, 2004, 6:30 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Burger,

The Onkyo must be able to set the speakers to large or small, maybe they just call it something different (my Onkyo calls out small and large, but it is last years model - 600).

It seems like the subwoofer mode controls the speaker size. If yours is set to all channels plus LFE, then that means all channels have their bass sent to the subwoofer, and are therefore small. If there was a setting labeled surround + LFE, then the surrounds would be small and the front and center speaker speakers would be large
Old March 31st, 2004, 8:44 AM

Spyfy is on a distinguished road
That Onkyo uses subwoofer modes. Set your subwoofer to mode 1. That is all speakers set to small and uses the crossover setting to determine what goes to the sub. Mode 2 is front speakers set to large I believe and Mode 3 sends only the LFE channel to sub. Mode 1 is what you're looking for.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:05 AM

joe s is on a distinguished road
Question Why set floorstanding mains to small?

I'm still confused as to why people say th set full range front speakers to small - my Kef's go to 45Hz, so it seems the sound stage would be more realistic with them set to large, especially with the sub at the back corner of the room. Joe
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:19 AM

Shannon s. is on a distinguished road
It will take pressure off of your speakers and amp. to let the sub handle most of the deep bass.
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:55 PM

An 80 Hz crossover is fine even for floorstanding mains (60 Hz would work as well also, but most recievers don't have that choice). If you were to actually measure the output in your room of your mains, then you might be suprised at the rolloff at lower frequencies. My mains are speced down to 22 Hz, but they really roll off at about 50 Hz.

With an 80 Hz crossover I am not using a little of my mains ability, but the Sub can do those frequencies even better, and the reciever will not be wasting power on the lower frequencies, will have more headroom, will be less likely to clip, and will run cooler etc. The main speakers will sound better because they are not straining to reproduce the lowest notes at the same time the woofers are producing 2k Hz notes (or whatever the crossover to the tweeter is). Some people even say they can hear the doppler effect when a woofer is moving out quite a bit for low bass at the same time as it is vibrating rapidly for the upper midrange. Reducing the max excursions reduces this effect.

Also remember that the crossover is not a brick wall, but is gradual. There is lower information still going to your mains.
Old March 31st, 2004, 2:19 PM

joe s is on a distinguished road
YAHOO my VTF-3 arrived!!!! WOW that thing puts out some bass! I have the knob barely up from minimum and it can drive me out of the room! I set it a little light with a rad shack meter, too. I still have to play with positioning it, it's a little boomy right now.

Joe

PS I set all my speakers to small, even though I wish my Marantz 5400 had an adjustable crossover, it's fixed at 100 hz.
Old March 31st, 2004, 9:34 PM

Burger is on a distinguished road
Dudley,

Not sure if you understood what I was trying to say. I was attempting to explain to Bish how to configure his receiver, considering this particular receiver has no "large" or "small" setting. Just letting him know what the equivalent is. My bad if he already knew.

You are correct in assuming that setting the subwoofer mode to 1 would be similar to setting the speakers to small.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:04 PM

Burger,

I reread your post, and obviously did not understand what you where saying - oops! Seems like you have things well in hand.
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Gregisme
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe s
PS I set all my speakers to small, even though I wish my Marantz 5400 had an adjustable crossover, it's fixed at 100 hz.
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm looking at two receivers for possible purchase, and I was concerned as one choice is fixed at 100hz crossover and the other at 90hz. Since I'm considering getting Ascend 170 speakers, which most people tout the 80 hz crossover as being best for those (and many other) speakers, I was concerned.

So I called Ascend about it, and they said not to sweat it. They said at 100 hz, you might notice a slight difference than if you were able to set to the 80 hz crossover. Then as far as the receiver with the 90 hz fixed setting, he said not to even give it a second thought as there would be no discernable difference. He also emphasized the point about the cut-off being gradual, not brickwall-like, as stated earlier.

Given that they have a vested interest in making their speakers sound and perform as optimally as possible, if there was to be any appreciable difference, surely they would have strongly suggested that I consider some other receiver options.
Old November 17th, 2005, 8:25 AM

normanplace is on a distinguished road
STF-2 crossover with Maratnz receiver

This is an old thread but it was helpful and I too just received my STF-2 and the difference is immense. Makes my old Klipsches sound much fuller and clear.

Here is my set up question. If I let the Marantz receiver handle the crossover and I set the crosoover switch on the STF-2 to "out", do I need to do anything with the crossover frequency knob in the sub?
Old November 17th, 2005, 8:59 AM

Lexx is on a distinguished road
Hello

I recently purchased the Ventriloquist VT-12 and an STF-2 sub. I also have a recent Pioneer VSX 72 receiver that will let me set the crossover frequency.

The VT-12 state a frequency range of 80 - 250 Hz.

What crossover setting should I use for the STF-2? 80?

What setting should be set with my receiver for a crossover frequency? 80?

Is it better to use one setting of 80 with the sub and do nothing with the receiver, or use the receiver and not the sub setting?

What would you suggest I try for settings with this speaker/receiver set-up?

Thanks
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
You should disable the crossover on the sub and let the receiver do it.Set all speakers to small and the crossover to 80hz.
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Tir McDohl is on a distinguished road
Just got a STF-2 also

I am using my old KEF Reference 103.2 speakers as the main L & R in my HT setup, they are good down to about 50 Hz. I am currently driving them with a Denon AVR3300. Should I use the subwoofer output from the receiver to the STF-2 and set the bass output to "Front and Subwoofer" or "Subwoofer Only"? The Denon manual says the crossover frequency is 80 Hz if I set the main speakers to "Small", should I set the STF-2 crossover to "Off" or turn it on and set it to 50 Hz or 80 Hz? I'm a little confused..

Thanks in advance!
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tir McDohl
I am using my old KEF Reference 103.2 speakers as the main L & R in my HT setup, they are good down to about 50 Hz. I am currently driving them with a Denon AVR3300. Should I use the subwoofer output from the receiver to the STF-2 and set the bass output to "Front and Subwoofer" or "Subwoofer Only"? The Denon manual says the crossover frequency is 80 Hz if I set the main speakers to "Small", should I set the STF-2 crossover to "Off" or turn it on and set it to 50 Hz or 80 Hz? I'm a little confused..

Thanks in advance!
Mains to small stf2 to off
Old November 21st, 2005, 6:50 PM

DaveSmith is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveSmith
80 or 90 Hz probably ideal if the STF crossover is active (I recommend from own experience). You get different cancellation frequencies with the mains - depending on listening position and main speaker separation distance. Sub only fights the room it's in - not the other speaker AND the room. Also try the STF-2 with the crossover IN and its crossover frequency set at something close to the selected Onkyo crossover.