HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2004, 9:33 PM

animalchin is on a distinguished road
Question Onkyo 501 vs 502 Receiver with Ventriloquist VT-12?

Hi,
I was about to pull the trigger on the 501 because of how well it performed in Dr. Hsu's testing...but now that the 502 is out can I assume that it will outperform the 501?
Or is that just not how this stuff works?
Old June 6th, 2004, 7:07 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Compare the prices. The 502 adds component video switching over the 501, and a little more power. You have to decide if that is worth the price difference. The 501 is very reasonably priced right now, and may be a hard deal to pass up.
Old June 6th, 2004, 11:01 AM

flashbackk is on a distinguished road
I am running them through some 10 yo Cambridge Audio Ensamble 2's ( my VT-12's and Stf-2 won't be here untill thursday). I liked the 501 ( $250) so much that I took it back to Circuit City and traded up (?) to the 502 ( $300). I like the remote better on the 502 and I wanted Dolby ProLogic IIx and the 10 extra watts might be nice. The speaker setup is a little different too. The 501 doesn't have large and small settings. You control that through a subwoffer mode setting.
Someone with more experience ( and some HSU's.. lol) can give you better advice, but those are some of the differences I noticed. I could live with either one myself. It may be that I am getting used to them. but I am not too sure that the 501 didn't sound better.
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Audiophile

Sasha_G will become famous soon enoughSasha_G will become famous soon enough
Here is the Onkyo Press Release.

http://www.onkyousa.com/news.cfm?id=81

04/21/04 - Onkyo has upgraded its budget 6.1-channel TX-SR502 A/V receiver with a power increase to 75 Watts per channel, and improved surround processing, including Dolby ProLogic IIx and DTS-96/24. The model includes a suite of high-end features, including 6.1 channel processing for Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, and HDTV capable component video switching. This Onkyo TX-SR502 is currently available, in both black and silver finishes.

With the addition of Dolby Laboratory's new ProLogic IIx processing, the Onkyo TX-SR502 takes the guesswork out of surround processing by automatically deriving full 6.1-channel audio from absolutely any stereo or multichannel source. The receiver employs high quality linear PCM 96 kHz/24-bit D/A converters and a sophisticated 32-bit DSP processor for ideal reproduction of soundtracks and multichannel audio.

The TX-SR502 also boasts 50 MHz component video switching, allowing the receiver to switch high definition video signals without degrading video quality. There are two component video inputs and one output, four A/V composite inputs and two outputs with alternate S-Video connections, plus front panel A/V composite and S-video inputs for convenient connection of portable devices. The receiver has four assignable digital audio inputs with one coaxial and three optical connectors, RCA line-level connections for a CD player and audio recorder, and a subwoofer preamplifier output. There are dual banana-plug-compatible multi-way speaker binding posts for all main channels with color-coding for simplified wiring, and front channel "B" terminals for a second set of stereo speakers.

The Onkyo TX-SR502 includes six internal power amplifier channels with high-current, low-impedance discrete output devices, to deliver a continuous power output of 75 Watts per channel into 8-Ohm loads. Onkyo's WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) gives the power stage a linear frequency response from 10 Hz to 100 kHz to ensure itís up to the challenge of the most demanding audio sources, such as SACD and DVD-Audio.

The dot-matrix fluorescent front panel display makes setup and operation of the receiver easy and fast, including variable speaker configuration and distance settings for simple optimization of any speaker arrangement. With the new adjustable crossover on the subwoofer pre-out channel, the LFE channel signal can be cutoff at 60, 80, 100, 120 or 150 Hz, for seamless integration of any satellite and subwoofer combination.

The receiver's high quality AM/FM tuner section has 30 random presets, and FM automatic scan tuning. The included preprogrammed remote control makes system integration and control simple and convenient

flashbackk,
I was curious what you liked about the new remote control? I'm curious because I think those little things are often symbolic of the overall pleasure of using a product.
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Audiophile

We haven't gotten the 502 for testing, but will most likely receive one in the coming months and test it.
Old June 8th, 2004, 1:36 PM

Sasha

The 502 remote is at least twice the size and has lighted buttons. It's a completely different remote. Either one is fine and I don't notice anything one can do that the other can't except for the size and the light.
Old June 9th, 2004, 6:21 PM
Audiophile

Flashbackk,

Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2004, 3:46 PM

I hope you get a 502 soon so you can test it. I received my VT-12 speakers yesterday and I am just thrilled. I will be curious if the tests substantiate what I am hearing. I am still tweaking but the presence , soudstage and warmth is awsome. I have calibrated it with my RS meter but calibration my disks are pretty old ( pro-logic). That STF-2 is just plain massive.
Old June 12th, 2004, 7:56 AM

A lit remote is sure nice to have. It is a pain to fumble with a remote in the semi-darkness, while watching a movie.
Old June 17th, 2004, 3:25 PM

wsmithjr is on a distinguished road
Does the Onkyo 502 save the various settings between modes, such as sound channel levels and the like? I know the 501 does not do this and think it would be a useful feature.

Warren
Old June 17th, 2004, 3:59 PM
Audiophile

Dr. Hsu is going to get a 502 to see the differences. I'm confident that with Onkyo's reputation, it will perform as well or better than the 501.
Old June 21st, 2004, 3:43 PM

Just a headsup on the Onkyo 502 at Circuit City. They have them on sale for about $265. I just took advantage of the price guarantee and got about 35 bucks back,that I used for a HT set-up disc by Ovation. Sound&Vison magazine and Avia put it out. It seems pretty good to me.

I can only imagine how much money I would have to spend to upgrade the quality of this sound incrementally.

I have the 502,VT-12/ STF-2 combo. I also upgraded my cablebox from Comcast to a Motorola DVR. I am really rocking over here. My wife has about had it with me too.
Old December 18th, 2004, 6:16 AM

southpaw is on a distinguished road
Question Recommend a Receiver?

I haven't purchased anything equipment yet but I am almost positive I will purchase the VT12 with STF2 soon.

Can anyone recommend a good receiver. I am looking at the Pioneer VSX D14K and an Onkyo TX SR601. Both are between $260 and $300. Anyone have this setup?

Also, I have not even looked at DVD/CD players. I would like a 5 or 6 changer that plays MP3's. Any suggestions.

PS This is my first home theater setup and I'm on a budget.
Old December 18th, 2004, 7:51 AM

I have the Onkyo 600 and like it very much.
Old December 20th, 2004, 7:11 AM

SreenathM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw
Can anyone recommend a good receiver.
I have VT-12 and STF-2 working with Denon 1905 and it works flawlessly!. It's a great receiver with component video upconversion at a reasonable price.
Old December 21st, 2004, 5:52 AM

Yank is on a distinguished road
i just got the Pioneer vsx-1014k and it kicks butt!!! highly recommended and comes with awesome learning remote for app 400
Old January 2nd, 2005, 8:13 PM

debron is on a distinguished road
I just ordered an Onkyo 502 from J&R - $150 for factory refurbished, plus about $20 shipping.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 5:48 AM

Excellent deal.