HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 8th, 2004, 3:04 PM

shyam423 is on a distinguished road
Question Yamaha RX-V550 receiver with VT-12/STF-2

OK, I've done some research and I'm sold on the VT-12/STF-2 package. What I now need is a good receiver to power these speakers. According to CNET the Yamaha RX-V550 is better than Pioneer VSX-D914K or Onkyo 502. Has anyone tried this combination? Help please.
Old December 8th, 2004, 5:31 PM

DaveSmith is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveSmith
Receiver choice

The RX- series of Yamaha receivers are very fine and you really can't miss.
Old December 8th, 2004, 9:01 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=1

In the link above you can get a reconditioned 502 for $199 direct from Onkyo (so you won't have any warrenty worries). All three will do the job. HSU likes the Onkyo because of the crossover characteristics. Yamaha and Pioneer used to cross over a little higher, but that may be corrected now.
Old December 9th, 2004, 8:21 AM

Thanks Dave and Dudley for your input. I'll check the crossover frequency of Yamaha. But, $199 for Onkyo also sounds very good..
Old December 9th, 2004, 2:38 PM

jpendley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam423
Thanks Dave and Dudley for your input. I'll check the crossover frequency of Yamaha. But, $199 for Onkyo also sounds very good..
Hi Shyam423,
Did you find the Yamaha crossover specs. I looked on the Yamaha site and at the Cnet specs and couldn't find the info.
Old December 9th, 2004, 4:43 PM

Yamaha crossover

My RX-V495 owner manual says the crossover frequency is 90 Hz. As for newer models (after 2001), I do not know - though the Yamaha website probably has, or can provide, that detail. Considerate of the fairly flat HSU subwoofer responses through 110 Hz and the satellite rolloff, I think the Yamaha crossover frequency may, in theory, be better than one at 80 Hz. The best argument I'd see for 80 Hz rolloff is mildly better basic attenuation of the satellites with somewhat less pronounced center channel ventriloquist effect. I think you really can't miss and the room characteristics and speaker placement are much more important. Enjoy the system!
Old December 9th, 2004, 4:49 PM

Roll-off

I misspoke on one thing: the 80 Hz rolloff is more pronounced in its effect on the subwoofer in a VT-12 system. The VT-12 satellites are better protected from input, that does not result in musical output, at any higher crossover. One more thing: with my Yamaha RX-V495 receiver, I can adjust individual speaker levels (which I have done for the right surround only) to provide more flexibility. More recent Yamaha's in the series may also provide this very nice feature. I'm not selling Yamaha - don't get me wrong.
Old December 9th, 2004, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSmith
One more thing: with my Yamaha RX-V495 receiver, I can adjust individual speaker levels (which I have done for the right surround only) to provide more flexibility. More recent Yamaha's in the series may also provide this very nice feature. I'm not selling Yamaha - don't get me wrong.
Thanks, Dave. I seem to remember that the newer Yamahas allow the user to set different levels for different sources: DVD, SACD, etc. I've read about so many pieces of equipment lately that I'll have to recheck that. It would be a nice feature.
Old December 10th, 2004, 8:13 AM

Hi jpendley,

No, I've not been able to find that anywhere. It just says "Selectable 9-Band Subwoofer Crossover". So I'm assuming it can be selected.

Dave,
Thanks for your input. The new RX-V650 has a techmology called YAPO which will automate the setup for you. Do you think it will set the crossover automatically or is that still a manual step?
Old December 10th, 2004, 8:28 AM

[quote=shyam423]Hi jpendley,

No, I've not been able to find that anywhere. It just says "Selectable 9-Band Subwoofer Crossover". So I'm assuming it can be selected.

Sorry, Shyam423; my memory was confusing receivers. I was thinking of a feature of HK's AVR 330, and presumably other HK models.
Old December 10th, 2004, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam423
Hi jpendley,

Dave,
Thanks for your input. The new RX-V650 has a techmology called YAPO which will automate the setup for you. Do you think it will set the crossover automatically or is that still a manual step?
I am not familiar with YAPO. Yamaha's instructions are good. You can always go back to a default setting and start over.