HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 13th, 2004, 4:51 PM

frankrizzo is on a distinguished road
Question EXCITED!!! WHAT TO EXPECT???

Hello everyone. I just ordered the VT-12 Ventriloquist speaker package with the STF-2 subwoofer. I'm really excited. I researched these on various web sites and just wanted to know. What am I in store for???

Thanks, Rizzo
Old December 13th, 2004, 5:16 PM

DaveSmith is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo
Hello everyone. I just ordered the VT-12 Ventriloquist speaker package with the STF-2 subwoofer. I'm really excited. I researched these on various web sites and just wanted to know. What am I in store for???

Thanks, Rizzo
Well, it depends upon where you've been. If you've never been into home theater or good component stereo, you'll be quite pleased. I bought the same system two weeks ago and am generally quite pleased. I had Paradigm and Sony speakers in system with a Yamaha DD receiver. Only the Yamaha remains. Just on value and the visual/audio clues you'll receive, enjoy them.
Old December 13th, 2004, 6:39 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
I am a little more excited than Dave, even though I had the system (2 of them one with a STF3 ME) since last Xmas. (I am also a loooong time Hsu customer).

The sound will blow you away. Make sure to calibrate. Otherwise your bass from the sub will sound boomy. We tend to turn it up too much by ear.

Enjoy!!!!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 6:07 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I've been a home theater nut since the first VCR's came out. I have owned Paradigm, Infinity, Boston Accoutics, JBL, although I am still not as well versed in the technical aspects as some of you are. I may need some advice after I receive these.

Rizzo
Old December 14th, 2004, 3:03 PM
DavidD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdekany
Make sure to calibrate. Otherwise your bass from the sub will sound boomy. We tend to turn it up too much by ear.

Enjoy!!!!!
I agree. Calibrate! Invest in a calibration DVD (there are seveal available) and a sound level meter. Setting the subwoofer level by ear is not usually successful.
Old December 16th, 2004, 5:53 AM

jbhungvt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo

Thanks, Rizzo
Frank,

All of this depends on your room size. I have VT-12 in my home and never had a real surround system before. I was impressed with the way it sounded. I don't even have a good sub, it's just a used 10-inch sub that sounds awful, but yet VT-12 still sound good. My room is large, 20x22x18 with 2 openings to the rest of the house. In the future, I'll upgrade due to my room size.
Old December 17th, 2004, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt
Frank,

All of this depends on your room size. I have VT-12 in my home and never had a real surround system before. I was impressed with the way it sounded. I don't even have a good sub, it's just a used 10-inch sub that sounds awful, but yet VT-12 still sound good. My room is large, 20x22x18 with 2 openings to the rest of the house. In the future, I'll upgrade due to my room size.
I appreciate all replies. My system should be arriving today. I will install this weekend. My room is 11' x 16' with one opening going into family room / kitchen area. Will update.

Thanks, Rizzo
Old December 30th, 2004, 2:56 PM

robl13 is on a distinguished road
a new believer

I was looking for a new downfiring sub and somehow got directed to the hsu website. The first thing that caught my eye was the pricing. Hmmm..pretty good. I then read the spec's...HMMM...pretty good. I then read the reviews. Now wait, can I really believe all the hype? Well, now I can say yes. Emphatically, yes. I purchased the STF2 sight and sound unseen and unheard.
When it was shipped, hooked it up, and put on Star Wars THX intro. Well, it sounded OK, but, great? Some calibration, adjustments, etc. A couple of action movies for break in. Then last night with my sceptical wife sitting there with me. (Did I really NEED a new sub Mr. Husband?) I put in a rental of Hildago.
We started watching the movie and a train scene came on. It sounded like a real train just ran through my house. The whole house shook. There was NO distortion to sound. We looked at one another and started laughing. WOW. We laughed and laughed more. It really sounded like a train was in my house.
I feel that I do not have to justify the sub purchase any longer. There is no hype to the reviews. I am glad I picked the HSU sub. I certainly got my moneys worth. I am certain you will enjoy the new sub.
Old December 30th, 2004, 3:47 PM

bjurw is on a distinguished road
I did the same thing. I purchased without even hearing a demo. I read several posts and reviews and figure I couldn't go wrong and I definitely haven't. Logically, or so I thought, when I unpacked my sub and turned it on I turned the volume between half and 3/4 up on my VTF3. WOW! Figured out really fast that I needed to be up on maybe 2-3 on a ten point scale.
After calibration and break-in I have noticed significantly better sound. May just be me, but I swear it sounds better than ever. Next will come my Ventriloquist set up and I expect no less quality from them.
HSU has a LOYAL fan in me here. I can't say enough good things about them. I have a buddy with an M&K THX sub with two 12's and I don't think it holds a candle to my VTF3.