HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:21 AM

jbug is on a distinguished road
Dolby Atmos

Anyone here planning on taking on Atmos? I've experienced it in a theater (First Hobbit movie) and like it very much. I'd like to see some Atmos in ceiling speakers and speaker modules that can be placed on top of speakers from HSU. I just picked up a 2014 Onkyo 636 receiver that will get a firmware update in September for Dolby Atmos.
Old July 9th, 2014, 3:25 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
The HIW in walls can already be used as in-ceiling speakers, and already look pretty good for use in a Atmos setup, as I noted here. As for the modules, I am a bit skeptical about those. I think ceiling speakers would be better for Atmos.
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:44 PM

RayK is on a distinguished road
Atmos? No way.

As an apartment dweller for the long term I have no interest in attempting a ceiling installation for Atmos. In fact, I'm planning to grab a discounted Denon X4000 before they are gone and enjoy horizontal surround sound for movies. My interest is more toward music and 2.0 or 2.1 will be more than adequate for my vinyl collection and perhaps delve into DSD.
I am interested in HDMI 2.0 for a UHD when products offer some of the more attractive features available in 2.0.
Old July 10th, 2014, 8:04 AM

Daven is on a distinguished road
I just experienced this in a 'home theater' setup in an office building that I appraised a few weeks ago. Fairly certain the the owner was using Klipsch speakers but never indicated otherwise... His financials indicated it was rather costly renovation but based on the numbers does not appear to be professional.

I think it would be fun to put together a dedicated HT project in my home but I imagine that's going to be a rather large budget for the proper AVR/AVO and effort/time/construction costs to make it worthwhile.
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:40 AM

RayK is on a distinguished road
Rethinking ATMOS

Audiholics.com posted a video discussing the ATMOS technology and briefly mentioned use of reflected sound sources. They used smaller bookshelf speakers with larger bookshelf speakers with the small unit aimed at the ceiling (up-firing @ 45 or 60deg). This could work in an apartment where poking holes in the ceiling would be frowned upon.
If this is an alternative to ceiling speakers it would whet Dr. Hsu's imagination. He has probably reached a conclusion and we may see his new products offered this year.
Can anyone verify this alternative from their research? I'm still plowing through Google for answers.

Last edited by RayK : August 11th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.