HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th, 2007, 6:25 AM

Active Speaker is on a distinguished road
Help!! I just got hardwood floors!!

This happened: at my wife's insistence! Now, the bass has disappeared! I have a TN1220 and the 500 watt amp. I used to have the volume control at a little above or below the 12 o' clock position; now I'm forced to crank it almost to the maximum setting in order to hear ANYTHING. What should I do? What is causing this??
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
you may be experiencing audible deletion

I don't know what that means though...

Try to get a piece of carpet or small rug and put under it first of all. Use the rubber legs that came with it and either put it on them directly, or put the spikes into the small open holes so it won't move.

Kiss your wife and tell you that you love the floor and it is beautiful. Then go behind a wall and pull your hair out b/c you lost some bass and it isn't fair! Or you could leave the spikes on and turn it up and let it rattle across the floor, scratching it and put the alitmatum out that either the floor goes or you do Then you can find a nice apartment with all the carpet you want!

Good luck and let us know what you decided and how it worked. Try the small carpet or rug underneath first before you file for divorce or take a chain saw to it!
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM

davenlei is on a distinguished road
Sounds like since she got the hardwood floors (insisting on it), you should insist on getting some of your bass back with dual HO's.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlei View Post
Sounds like since she got the hardwood floors (insisting on it), you should insist on getting some of your bass back with dual HO's.
I wish!! I'm not sure that would solve this problem, however. I was expecting the opposite to occur: bloated or extra bass, not LESS bass. Anyone have any ideas?
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM

epitomeofawe is on a distinguished road
subdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post
I wish!! I'm not sure that would solve this problem, however. I was expecting the opposite to occur: bloated or extra bass, not LESS bass. Anyone have any ideas?
AS, a subdude or DIY version of something similar may be a good remedy. Check out this thread over on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=644330

"modesty at its best"
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM

try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker View Post

seriously, try a piece of carpet under the sub or a throw rug or something like this. they are suppose to be on some sort of carpet if they can. have you checked the crossover switch and dial to see if they are the same position? have you checked your receiver to see if you or she has accidently changed the sub setting or lfe output or dB uotput to the sub?
Old January 25th, 2007, 6:20 PM

Well,

I found the problem, unfortunately.

I have an active speaker sytem. I have a preamp with two amps: one for the higher frequencies, one for the lower frequencies. When I purchased the 500A and TN1220 combo, what attracted me was the high & low pass filters in the amp. SO, the way I hook up the low frequencies is to come out of the preamp and in to the Hsu amp and back out via the high pass out to my low frequency amp. This is the way I have always used it and it works great. However, all I did was disassemble and reassemble my system for the hardwood floor installation, and to my unpleasant surprise, the high pass out is not currently working. The all pass out works, and that is how I am using it, but the high pass does not. I really hope I don't have to send it back for repairs as this would be a MAJOR hassle. Any ideas?
Old January 26th, 2007, 4:56 AM

Eureka!

Glad you found the problem. Sorry you found the problem...

I hope can get it worked out. If it is the sub, uh oh. If it is the receiver and you don't mind a little time, reset everything and readjust it where you need it. Odds are that it could use a little retuning if you have hardwood now and not carpet, especially if you used and auto EQ system to calibrate things. Grab an SPL if you don't have it already and set things straight. Sorry I can't be of more help in the technical area yet .
Old January 26th, 2007, 7:45 PM

Well,

It's all good...........

The good Dr. Hsu called me at home tonight to explain..... that the 500A has a rather large capacitor that takes time to fill up on first use after a disconnect! As incredible as that sounds, he was right! All is happy sailing!!

Thank you again, Dr. Hsu!!
Old February 1st, 2007, 6:34 PM

Well,

The plot thickens...

After I took Dr. Hsu's advice, everything worked for a couple of days; now I am back to square one. When I turn on my system, there is nothing to the low frequency amp (the amp that receives the hi pass output from the Hsu). As it turns out, the only way I can get the low frequency amp to work is by removing the hi pass out cables (while both amps are on), and replugging them in after touching one of them to the chassis of the Hsu amp. After that everything works like a charm until.....the next time I turn the amps on and off, then the process repeats: what a pain!! I think that there has to be a grounding issue with the Hsu Hi Pass Output.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 5:04 AM

try to borrow

Borrow a freinds receiver and see if you still have this problem. If so, contact HSU!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 4:25 AM

was there any resolve to this

Another needs help with a similar issue...
Old January 17th, 2008, 4:42 PM

Well,

I know that it is a year later, but here is the solution that I discovered: I had to unplug the 500 watt amp completely, removing the power cord from both the wall and the back of the amp. I left it this way for a couple of minutes, and reattached it. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that the amp must have some kind of sensing built in, because this solution worked (actually, it has now worked twice: last year at this time, and tonight because it was doing it again for the first time in a year! I had to think about how I solved this last year for quite awhile before I remembered; so I'm posting the solution now in case anyone else needs it, and so I will remember it too!). BTW, the 500 watt amp is still going strong!! I still love it!
Old February 14th, 2008, 5:45 PM

Well, I figured out the problem. One of the three tiny chips that go into the crossover module was missing two tiny legs. Technical support sent out new ones, and everything works great!!