HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM

CaryL is on a distinguished road
Newbie needs help!!!

Hi. New to the site. I'm very interested in purchasing a set of HSU speakers for my home theater. However, in my set-up I need in wall or ceiling surrounds. Does HSU make anything for this type of application or can somone suggest something for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cary
Old April 16th, 2007, 5:50 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
think on this

in walls are not as good as monitors, bookshelf, or floorstanders as a general rule. not to say you can't find quality inwall but tougher and usually more expensive! if you want to use inwalls, look for a "sealed" speaker (not "ported") that you can recess instead and you might get better sound from it this way. i have the ascend model that are sealed and they work very well. HB-1 are about same size but i think they are vented. you don't want to put a vented speaker in the wall b/c it needs room to breath! also consider the sheilding aspect if you have crt type TV. good luck and the HB-1's have a lot of good prees it seems!
Old April 16th, 2007, 6:47 AM

CaryL is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response. I'm only using the in-walls for rear surround because I have no other choice. I'm not worried about shielding because once again, these are only for rear surrounds and I'm using a projector. I plan on going with HSU for everything but the surrounds. If anyone knows a good in-wall that would be a good fit with the HSU's please let me know. Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2007, 4:32 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
another consideration

I don't own HB-1's. That said, I would look to see if Klipsch has an enclosed speaker that you can mount inwall as they are also horn style. I own the Ascend HTM200's and will say they really do well. Handle up to 400Wmax and run 200W rms as well as drop to 74-80dB in room response so they work well with an 80Hz crossover. Axiom also makes a pretty good QS4 or QS8 that are not direct radiating but I don't know how well they match up with HSU's setup so you might want to see if others here have this mix! Hope this helps even though these are not HSU.
Old April 17th, 2007, 7:42 AM

ADZ is on a distinguished road
ACI B-Flat Speakers

You might want to look into ACI's in-wall speakers:

http://audioc.com/speakers1/bflat/standard65.htm

Admittedly, I know nothing about them, and I couldn't find any reviews. However, ACI has a great reputation for delivering high value audiophile-grade speakers (just look for reviews of their Sapphire speakers). At $150 a pair for in wall surrounds, it's a very interesting offer.