HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 18th, 2007, 9:37 PM

dafeist is on a distinguished road
Shake, rattle, and roll!!!

I found two bass tracks online called Bass Tester and Bass Competition. I think they are used for car stereo stuff. I put these tracks through my 3.2 and holy cow, my entire house literally shakes. My question is, what do you guys do to stop the rattling of items? I have pictures and clocks banging against the wall. I have dishes clattering and dont even get started with the hanging pot rack. Just curious as to the variety of methods used to stop the rattling so the only creaking I hear is that of the nails popping in the framing! thanks in advance.
Old February 19th, 2007, 4:05 AM

TAllen01
You can use the clear silicone bumpers that you can find at Lowe's HD, etc. Just pell off the backing, and stick them to the frame where they meet the wall.
Old February 19th, 2007, 4:38 AM

Stan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeist View Post
I found two bass tracks online called Bass Tester and Bass Competition. I think they are used for car stereo stuff. I put these tracks through my 3.2 and holy cow, my entire house literally shakes. My question is, what do you guys do to stop the rattling of items? I have pictures and clocks banging against the wall. I have dishes clattering and dont even get started with the hanging pot rack. Just curious as to the variety of methods used to stop the rattling so the only creaking I hear is that of the nails popping in the framing! thanks in advance.
One way is to arrange and use a controllable sine wave sweep tone. From a PC hooked into your system for example. Something where you can adjust the frequency and volume live. As opposed to something that just plays, like a CD or DVD test disc. You just need a few seconds, so have your mute button handy and walk over to wherever problems show up to check them out. If all you have is a sweep tone disc this can work too but is harder. If all you have is program material, that too can work but is also harder to work with and you will need a variety so that more rattles and squeaks can be found.

With a sine wave...without all the other sounds, you'll be able to hear many more things rattling so that they can be dealt with individually. This can make a difference. When you play actual program material, you can then judge if you are "done" since the broader sound spectrum will cover things up quite a bit more - masking them.

If your system has lots of tactile energy, you can preemptively batten down the hatches in whatever zone this is strongest. Do this for tactile transducers too.

If you play around with very loud bass, then not only do you need to derattle things, but you need to beef up the construction of the room. Use flexible glues and screws as opposed to just nails for example. Overall heavier construction. No more open floor plans if you want others to be happy. Even if you have all the objects in a room behaving, the room construction itself becomes a noise issue.

For pictures and objects, simple things like moving them, adding mass to them, decoupling them with foam or rubber, or firmly attaching them can help out. Windows are often a problem. In many cases they can be successfully derattled if you are handy. An easy trial fix is to shim windows with business cards. Sometimes it is a good idea to use plastic "glass" over favorite frame pictures, instead of real glass. In case they keep getting knocked over. And don't keep that handmade tea cup set your Grandmother made nearby.

One thing that happens is that below some point, all is well, but then above that point various objects act up. There tends to be a crossover point. And once things take off, this worsens with more SPL. It can cap the clean SPL in a room. Howard Ferstler ran into that at 20 Hz in the 3HO review. Because from his text it sounded like the sub had more oompth left to deliver but he called it early due to his room. So perhaps the 3HO's actual limit was not found. Also, when the objects get excited by a bass note, their rattling sound does not just contain that exact note, it also involves the resonances of the object which are generally much higher in frequency. Hence more noticeable, apparent, and distracting.

Stan
sjmarcy

Last edited by Stan : February 19th, 2007 at 5:19 AM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:29 AM

thanks for all the info Stan, I appreciate it as always. Just wondering various things work for various items (picture frames, dishes, etc.). Is the goal to eliminate movement of the item or quiet its movement?
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:40 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
try this

defeist,

you could try not turning up that loud!?

yea, just kidding... blast that sucker!

since you know it vibrates everything, aim the ports at the couch and bring the mrs. down for some quality time... she will have a better appreciation for it then and when you turn it on, maybe it will turn her on too!?
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:44 AM

LOL, I wish it were that easy!
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:44 AM

aht3 is on a distinguished road
hmmm

a vibrating couch.

You guys will try anything
Old February 19th, 2007, 9:20 AM

Stan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeist View Post
thanks for all the info Stan, I appreciate it as always. Just wondering various things work for various items (picture frames, dishes, etc.). Is the goal to eliminate movement of the item or quiet its movement?
It's whatever works with the least effort. The goal is to reduce the issue to below audible levels. Strategies like adding mass, moving things, using foam/rubber/screws/tape etc are fine. For HT I prefer a floor or riser with some give to it for those dino stomps ya know. So in that case movement is okay with me. If you are on slab this eliminates that floor effect, which is often appreciated for music, but not as much for LFE.

Stan / sjmarcy

Last edited by Stan : February 20th, 2007 at 8:59 AM.
Old February 20th, 2007, 8:23 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
hmmm

a vibrating couch.

You guys will try anything

It isn't that it is necessary, but think of it this way... spice! YOU get the best of both worlds, a wife/girlfriend AND a sub that are running...... "hot" and letting you play with them until one of the two reaches its "peak" perfomance. I am just saying it is a great way to end the day
Old February 20th, 2007, 1:02 PM

Well, I found that a clock and three picture frames were the main culprits behind the majority of the rattling. I found some felt pads with sticky on the back and applied them. 85% of the rattling disappeared. And WOW does it make a difference in sound. I can actually hear the sub instead of hearing its effects on my house. I do have some windows that rattle and a few other small things that I dont know that I can fix cheaply (would have to replace every light fixture in the great room and kitchen). But what a difference it makes to be able to hear the sub without the rattles. I LOVE THIS SPEAKER!!!!!! Everyone that hears it is in disbelief. Granted, none of these people are audiophiles but they simply cant believe that a single speaker can make this much beautiful racket!