HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 19th, 2007, 7:34 AM

KC23 is on a distinguished road
Need some advice

I had long since made up my mind to get an Axiom EP 500. However the cost has held me back from pulling the trigger.

I don't have that large an area to fill 11'x15'x8' (however one side opens into a very small dinning room area that is only alike 10'x8') so after doing a lot of research I find the EP500 to be expensive overkill.

Now I'm considering the VTF-2 MKIII which is less than half the cost.

Just would like some feedback from others. Thanks in advance.
Old February 19th, 2007, 7:42 AM

aht3 is on a distinguished road
Other posters may be able to say it better but I have a 2.3 in my 12x11x10 office and it is way more than enough. Basically, if I turn up my receiver to about -25 or -30, I can rattle my entire house. I can't tell you how much I love this thing. Happy hunting.
Old February 19th, 2007, 7:43 AM

Bill3508 is on a distinguished road
I really wanted the EP500 also, mainly due to the size. I'm still undecided as there are many that perform just as good, but many of those are much larger.

Bill3508
Old February 19th, 2007, 7:54 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
You would do very well in getting the VTF 2.3 in that size room. If you were looking at the EP 500 why not look at the VTF3.3? It should hold its own against the Axiom.
Old February 19th, 2007, 7:55 AM

My axiom M60s are very accurate, but I'd like to feel more air moving in the bass area. I'm concerned over the VTF2 MKIII's accuracy compared to the EP500.
Old February 19th, 2007, 7:57 AM

I own Axiom M80s with the Hsu STF 3, you need not worry The Hsu is a great match with the Axioms.
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wid View Post
You would do very well in getting the VTF 2.3 in that size room. If you were looking at the EP 500 why not look at the VTF3.3? It should hold its own against the Axiom.
When you consider Axiom's factory outlet pricing, no sales tax and free shipping the cost is close. Axiom customer service is 2nd to no one as well.

OTOH the VTF2 MkIII is nearly half the cost.
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:09 AM

Hsu has CS on par with Axiom, this I know. The VTF2.3 is pretty close to the STF3 and I have it in a 1800 sqaure foot room. It is more than enough subwoofage for me.
Old February 19th, 2007, 8:57 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
find craigsub

get an opinion from craigsub as he has heard or is testing most of these. either will do you really well. i own the 2.3 and have a 4500cuft room... the 2.3 is a monster and is more than you will need. it is musical and great for HT, dropping to the 16Hz range. i would think it more fair to compare the 3.3 to the EP500 but then the 2.3 is no slouch and is a better savings for your size room. i would give the 30 day trial a go or see if you can find someone in your area with either and go have a listen!
Old February 19th, 2007, 9:23 AM

whichsub4me is on a distinguished road
The VTF3V2 is 20% off now. I think that's alot of sub for the price. Man, you could get 2 of those for one Axiom EP500. I call that a no brainer.
Old February 19th, 2007, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiblConoiseur View Post
get an opinion from craigsub as he has heard or is testing most of these. either will do you really well. i own the 2.3 and have a 4500cuft room... the 2.3 is a monster and is more than you will need. it is musical and great for HT, dropping to the 16Hz range. i would think it more fair to compare the 3.3 to the EP500 but then the 2.3 is no slouch and is a better savings for your size room. i would give the 30 day trial a go or see if you can find someone in your area with either and go have a listen!
I have mine is a 1320 cuft room..talk about energy. see it under the desk? this thing is a beast.
Attached Images

Old February 19th, 2007, 9:59 AM

the other thing I like about the VTF is that it can go from a beast like max out mode to a docile and mellow max ext mode without sounding soft. Did I mention that I cannot turn my know past 9 0'clock without getting yelled at? I am going to get another one for my 21x15x9 living room. I would get a bigger one but the wife says enuf is enuf.

Happy hunting
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Here are some pics of the sub...on one of them, notice the front of my feet. I wear a size 15. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old February 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Geez, that thing is huge. Fortunately size is not an issue.

I just had a good laugh at the local Veolidyne dealer after taking a close look at their prices Vs specs.

I think I'm sold on the VTF 2.3. Thanks to all who have given their time to answer this thread. Any more input still appreciated.

PS how do I get input from this craig individual?
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Catch him on the AVS forum. He is friendly approachable and does his testing for the fun of it. the 2.3 scored pretty high in his ranking. here is the link to the thread. Did I mention this thing is a beast?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM

For me there comes a point of practical Vs optimal. I think the VTF 2.3 might hit the sweet spot.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I said the same thing and still got more than what I expected. Wait until you order. I was a giddy as all get out. so were some of the other guys. I am really sure you will enjoy it.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM

S.Cane is on a distinguished road
I had dual EP500's at one point in time, but switched back to HSU.
Old February 21st, 2007, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post
I had dual EP500's at one point in time, but switched back to HSU.
Why?
Old February 21st, 2007, 6:05 PM

S.Cane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC23 View Post
Why?
While the EP500's rocked, I did not find them to be as clear, articulate, and detailed as the HSU VTF-3 MK2 that I had before them. So for me, the decision to switch back to HSU was a no brainer.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 5:48 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
For me there comes a point of practical Vs optimal. I think the VTF 2.3 might hit the sweet spot.
For many of my friends the VTF-2 Mk3, VTF-3 Mk2 and STF-3 are all in that ideal sweet spot for physical size/performance. They all deliver very balanced tight deep bass ~ for both music and movie use. At the current selling price the VTF-2 Mk3 is an unadulterated pure bargain.

Ddavidson
Old February 23rd, 2007, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddavidson View Post
For many of my friends the VTF-2 Mk3, VTF-3 Mk2 and STF-3 are all in that ideal sweet spot for physical size/performance. They all deliver very balanced tight deep bass ~ for both music and movie use. At the current selling price the VTF-2 Mk3 is an unadulterated pure bargain.

Ddavidson
Yeah, I'm starting to get pretty excited about it ... if only my wife shared in the excitement.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 7:37 AM

wait a second

Are you married to my wife too?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 8:06 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah, I'm starting to get pretty excited about it ... if only my wife shared in the excitement.
Tell her to close her eyes ~ being male you should know women hate to see their man having fun. http://forum.hsuresearch.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://forum.hsuresearch.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://forum.hsuresearch.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Ddavidson
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Well, it cost me an extra $250 to get the 2.3, but I pulled the trigger today. I'll post back on my opinion.

Ps extra $250 ... got the wife a zune video/mp3 player for her birthday.

"Oh, and what do you want honey?"

Well, I found this subwoofer that is half the cost of what I was saving for ...

SOLD!!!
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM

oh yea!

KC23 has played the game before!!! Just like in sales, always shoot high and bring them to where you wanted them in the first place!
Old February 27th, 2007, 2:11 PM

mojave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, I found this subwoofer that is half the cost of what I was saving for ...

SOLD!!!
The following rule applies only to men: Once you set a savings goal, you always get to spend the full amount even if you find a cheaper option.

Rather than spend less, tell her you are spending more wisely and add something else to your system (like a parametric equalizer).
Old February 27th, 2007, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
The following rule applies only to men: Once you set a savings goal, you always get to spend the full amount even if you find a cheaper option.

Rather than spend less, tell her you are spending more wisely and add something else to your system (like a parametric equalizer).
Well I did add SVS's calibration Avira DVD/Radio Shack do-hickey thing a ma-job and now I'll be getting my axiom Q8s much sooner than I would otherwise.