HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 17th, 2007, 1:10 PM

monomer is on a distinguished road
Is the new VTF-2.3 compatible with the original VFT-2?

My current set-up is used for both music and movies. My mains' in-room freq response goes down to ~27Hz (according to REW) before rolling off (all other speakers drop off just around or below 40Hz). My sub is the original VTF-2 in 25Hz tune it actually goes down to ~21Hz before beginning roll-off. I have my x-over set to 60Hz with the mains receiving full-bass signals. So far this is working great for both music and movies. Relatively smooth blending of the bass when listening to music... and then room-shaking low freq violence during the movies.

Recently I've been thinking about trying to add more bass extension for movies (I don't really need any more dBs as the current VTF2 has plenty left to spare), so this is what I've come up with... adding a VTF-2.3 with 18Hz tuning and changing the VTF2 to 32Hz tuning. I would stack the two as the current sub location is perfect acoustically (in-room freq response according to REW is relatively flat) and use a Y-adapter to feed the two subs the same signal from my Onkyo.

My worry is... will this set-up unbalance the sound? too loud around 30-50Hz due to the two subs reproducing those freqs and suddenly weak below 30Hz due to only one sub being capable down low. I do like the 'snappiness' and accuracy to the bass my mains provide and the VTF-2 currently just seems to 'fill out the bottom end' making it sound slightly fuller (without getting too 'heavy')... I'm assuming the 10" speaker means it will be a little less "heavy" sounding than the 12" in the lower extending VTF2.3... meaning the 2.3's contribution would be a bit sloppier (really heavy) in the higher freqs (30-50Hz range). So what are these two subs going to sound like playing together?
Old April 17th, 2007, 1:23 PM

Bill3508 is on a distinguished road
I think the new 2.3 is 2 or 3 times what the orginial VTF-2 was from what I've heard. I'm sure it will give you the deep extension and you could probably balance out the bass, but I've not sure the match would be a good one considering the upgrades that have been put into the new model.

Maybe Peter can help you better.

Bill3508
Old April 17th, 2007, 9:17 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
monomer, I think you might want to try just the VTF-2 Mk3 first by itself, and see how that works for you. It goes not only very deep, but is very powerful as well. Theoretically you could try using the VTF-2 Mk1 for 30-50Hz, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile trying it.
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM

monomer is on a distinguished road
Bill... thanks for your response. Please read on as I'm guessing you are probably in a similar situation (maybe?) as I saw over on AVS Forum that you too own one of the original models.

Peter...
Power (dBs) is not my concern as my VTF-2 is plenty loud... actually my challenge is 'holding it down' enough to seamlessly blend into my system, which I've managed to do and am quite pleased. In fact, I'm sooo pleased right now that I'm afraid of possibly messing things up. What I am looking to do is get a bit more bass extension (yeah, like my 21Hz in-room extension is not enough... but I'm just so curious as to what, if anything, I might be missing in the movies we are watching). However, I know bass extension doesn't come 'free'... there must be some trade-offs. I assume to get lower extension at loud SPLs and at acceptable distortion levels, the woofers must get larger (often a better choice than attempting the 'more excursion' route) and stiffer thus more massive over-all... leading to a slower response and so degrading accuracy at the higher frequencies (30Hz-60Hz) where I treasure the accurate, tight bass for my music listening. Its apparent to me that if a larger cone can be made lighter and yet maintain or enhance its stiffness, that would be a technological improvement that would possibly allow lower extension withOUT the SQ trade-off at the higher frequencies. So what would ease my mind more, is to know how the 12" woofer used in the VTF-2.3 today differs from the 10" woofer in the VTF-2 I currently own. I'm not asking for any trade secrets here but can you tell me something to make me feel better about adding a VTF-2.3 and allowing it to 'fly solo' in my system? (I mean I'd love it, as that would allow me to sell the VTF-2 to help defray the cost of the up-grade but under no circumstances would I want to sacrifice my music listening for more impressive explosions... know what I mean?)

Last edited by monomer : April 19th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
In my room, I have had an STF-2 and a VTF-3MK1(with the non-BASH amp and then replaced with the BASH amp). I now have a VTF-3MK3.

The STF-2 is now with my brother, a second STF-2 is in my Parents' family room(with a Ventriloquist speaker set), and my old VTF-3 is in their livingroom.

Music is more important to me than HT, and if my experience with these three subs is any indication, you will not lose anything going from your original VTF-2 to a VTF-2MK3 and will gain more extension and output capabilities. Blending will not be a problem.
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

aht3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
'holding it down'

Man...you said better that I could have. I have a 2.3 in a 12x11x10 room and am about to put a 3.3 in a 18x21x9 room when I get the cash.

These things are beasts and need to held down. I am still fine tuning my 2.3. It's fun fiddling with it.

Enjoy
Old April 26th, 2007, 1:55 AM

KC23 is on a distinguished road
I calibrated my 2.3 and felt is was a little weak, but I just turned it up ever so slightly and like magic it sounded powerful and accurate.

I am curious about the MBM-12 to add to my HSU 2.3. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried out the combo.
Old April 26th, 2007, 5:17 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
messing with people

I like to mess with guests when they get here and have the HSU disk ready with a 16Hz tone and only the sub on.... shortly after the have been in the house I play that track on repeat and they can't figure out what is going on and why the house sounds like a helecopter is outside. Some just feel weird b/c of the way it makes them feel

Or other times I que up the 40-50Hz tones and tell them they have to immediately evacuate the room b/c a pipe is about to burst. Ah, fun with friends!

Also fun if your pet goes to sleep by it and you turn it on with quick burst of a few tracks from the Troy sound track where they bang the drums first!

I know, mean but I accidently found that out... still, funny!