HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 27th, 2014, 7:56 PM

Todd G. is on a distinguished road
Sub and placement suggestions

Well, we finally got into a real house with a full unfinished basement two years ago and I finally made some time to use a drawing program to put it all on paper. At this point I'm thinking about dual VTF3 Mk4s or dual VTF-15Hs, but wondering where in the room to put them. I was thinking the subs needed to be along the side walls--the first along the right wall about eight feet from the back wall, the other on the left wall and about eight feet from the front wall. How important is port direction in this room?

Front wall is at the bottom of the room and will have a wall mounted 75" (or so) LED/LCD display, floor standing towers, and stand mounted center channel. We'll also have two in-ceiling side surrounds along the side walls and two in-ceiling rear surrounds in the bottom of the soffit behind the couch.

Dimensions shown on drawing are without drywall, but opening into room will be 3'-6" finished. Ceiling height will be at 8' 7" finished with some soffits to conceal a structural beam a couple feet behind the couch. All drywall will be 5/8", walls will be 2x4, and walls/ceiling will be insulated. At this point I don't plan on using resilient channel or building staggered stud walls.

Subwoofer model and placement recommendations welcome. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Todd G. : April 27th, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old April 28th, 2014, 2:16 PM

Sub configuration and cabinet size may play a bigger part in which subs I buy--I may be forced into buying the ULS dual drive since the ULS 15 cabinet is smaller than both VTF3 Mk4 and the VTF-15H. But if I'm forced to place subs at third spans of the walls, I will have to change which furniture goes into the room so we can walk between the sub and the sofa.

Again, feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by Todd G. : April 29th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 1st, 2014, 1:46 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Hi. I am confused by your diagram. What do the green and blue discs and red square represents? I also can't read the labels on the rooms, so I don't even know what room you are planning to build in.
Old May 1st, 2014, 1:52 PM

I'm building in the room in the upper right hand corner of the drawing on the left. The drawing on the right (all white w/ a brown sectional in the room) is where the theater will be. Room dimensions are 24-4 long x 12-11 1/2 wide x 8-7 ceiling height.

Colored square and circles are furnace, sewer pipes, and sump pit.

I hope this helps.
Old May 1st, 2014, 2:54 PM

It looks like the sofa is near the center of the room. The center of the room is not a good place for deep bass. Can you adjust the couch forward or backward away from the center? I'd suggest starting with both subs on either the front or back walls near the corners, whichever wall the couch is closer to.
Old May 1st, 2014, 4:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I do realize that the sofa occupies what will likely be a null in the room. Trouble is that about four feet behind the sofa is where the rear surround speakers will be. These will be in a soffit that conceals a steel beam that runs across the room. Moving the couch toward the front of the room is a lot more likely to happen than moving back. But I don't want the viewing position to be any closer than 10' from the front wall as I want to get a display that is 75". I also don't want to be too close to the tower speakers and center channel.

I know there will be trade-offs with this room since the basement was not built with a theater in mind.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 2:05 PM

It sounds to me like your best bet is to put one VTF3 or 15H in each front corner (where front is the wall you face when watching) and sit as close to the front as possible.

Is there concrete behind the wall that the TV is on? If not, is it possible to re-orient the room the other direction? I don't know how much it will matter in practice, but a concrete or earth wall will reflect more bass than a framed wall. It is better to have the subs against the wall that is most reflective.

The locations you originally selected will likely perform poorly for deep bass because of interference from reflections. Those spots might be good for MBMs though, if you decided to go that route.