HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 14th, 2005, 7:37 PM

v32837 is on a distinguished road
Question Tough Room: Will one VTF-3 MK2 cover me?

Hi Guys,

Please look at the 2 pics to see my room situation. I have the beautiful Swan Diva 6.1 speakers in rosewood(pic3). Close-up pics of the Hsu VTF-3 look like a nice cosmetic match! But is the bass there for my size room? All the VTF-3 posts seem pretty positive....

My family room appears to be a tough cookie to fill with bass! The room is 18' x16' with x 12' ceiling. So that's 3456 cu ft. for the room. Make things worse, I have open air on both sides leading into the kitchen and dining room. I guess that's another 2-3,000 cu ft off in the distance....I could probably only can get 1 sub past the wife...located at the location shown in the attached pic.

I don't need, "break the house down ref-level" bass, but the bass needs to be strong in that room! Can one VTF-3 get me there! I don't want to fall short...but I dont want dual subs, with a gain setting on 2 of 10 either, unless its required...

The sub cannot be too picky on location, as shown in pic I have only front corner as choice probably (WAF)

Any guys who own or have heard a VTF-3 MK 2, and can comment on my room size what it will be like...I would appreciate it.....

Thanks Vince
Attached Images

Old December 15th, 2005, 5:10 AM

Some of you guys must know??

thanks Vince
Old December 15th, 2005, 6:30 AM

Faust is on a distinguished road
My area is similar to yours, and opens to dining room, kitchen, and slanted ceiling to second floor. Perhaps over 5000 cu ft of space. I was astounded at the base a few days ago while listening to the dts version of War Of The Worlds. I could feel the onscreen explosions throughout my body. Tremendous base, marvelous detail and clarity. VTFMII set to approx 9 o'clock. Sony STR-DB930, 100 amp per channel receiver. With the Radio Shack sound meter I've measured response down to 16 cycles at reference level.
Old December 15th, 2005, 9:25 AM

tedmjr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to tedmjr2
I have an almost exact layout but with a 10' high ceiling in the HT room. Placing our VTF-3 MkII in a nearfield location between the main seating (sofa) and loveseat provided the best result for our needs (90% HT & 10% music). LFE was better noticed during lower volumes and WAF increased.

I've tried the front-right corner placement and the bass was more than sufficient. IMO, that placement seemed to result in providing a more balanced soundstage for music (DVD-A, CDs, MP3 & FM radio). In your case - given the WAF location restriction, there's no need to be concerned, the VTF-3 MkII would be ample.

Even if you're thinking of adding the upcoming Turbo to the VT-3 MkII, it may be overkill. Oops, I believe "overkill" does not exist in an audiophile's vocabulary.

Last edited by tedmjr2 : December 15th, 2005 at 9:43 AM.
Old December 15th, 2005, 9:38 AM

That's what I was looking for...One VTF-3 can work my leaky room.....

Thanks Vince