HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 13th, 2006, 4:08 PM

Subusr is on a distinguished road
MBM-12

I have my sub beside my couch as an end table about 3' from the rear wall. Where would I place an MBM-12? And would I be able to localise it if it were near my sub? Right now I can not tell where my sub is.
Old December 13th, 2006, 4:39 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Sub,

Would it be possible for you to draw a sketch of your room and post in here?

Generally, with an MBM-12, we would recommend placing the MBM-12 nearfield while placing the true subwoofer farfield in the front corner.

Thank you!
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:05 PM

The drawing is not to scale; it's the first time I've used "paint". The rooms dimensions are approximately 16&18(bump out) x 19.5 The room has built in bookcases on one end with a big screen TV in between. My mains are in the bookshelves and the center is on the TV angled down towards the couch. I have side surounds and rear surrounds mounted approx. 6' off the floor. The couch position and sub are shown in the drawing.
Thanks for your input.
Attached Images

Old December 13th, 2006, 5:12 PM
Hsu Research

What I would do is place the MBM-12 sideways behind the couch, handling 50-80Hz, with the true subwoofer placed in the front right (looking from the couch towards the TV) corner handling 50Hz and below.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:20 PM

Do you forsee problems with putting an MBM-12 behind the couch and leaving the sub where it is. As it is ( until I get a new sub in the future) I get good response to 23Hz and some useable output to 18Hz using a sub test tone CD that sweeps in 1 Hz. increments. Thanks for your prompt replies by the way.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:23 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
Sub-

You may also try placing the MBM-12 on the other side of the couch if you do not want to move your original sub.

Second choice, try moving your original sub and placing the MBM-12 in between the original sub and the couch.

Keep us posted.

Dave
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelms
Sub-

You may also try placing the MBM-12 on the other side of the couch if you do not want to move your original sub.

Second choice, try moving your original sub and placing the MBM-12 in between the original sub and the couch.

Keep us posted.

Dave
I have a desk with my pc in the corner on the other side of the couch; so I need the access. But your second choice or anywhere behind the couch is an option to me. Thanks for your advice.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:30 PM
Hsu Research

Sub, you could certainly try placing the MBM-12 next to the true subwoofer. However, generally mid-bass is best experienced nearfield, and generally deep bass is best experienced farfield in a corner. It is definitely worthwhile experimenting.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Sub, you could certainly try placing the MBM-12 next to the true subwoofer. However, generally mid-bass is best experienced nearfield, and generally deep bass is best experienced farfield in a corner. It is definitely worthwhile experimenting.
I have a chair in the farfield corner you mention and I have tried the sub there. My significant other does not like it there; so you know how that goes. If you look at the top of my drawing; I have unfinished ( no drywall ) storage closets on each side of the bump out that give me about 50' square feet/closet of 6"-8" of fibre-glass for bass trapping. I just crack open the doors about 3/4 of an inch and use them as cavity absorbers. As a result, I have very clean nice midbass and low bass, but I eventually would like more punch in the midbass; hence my interest in the MBM-12. Or possibly the VTF-3 Mk3 because it will be nearfield and may ad some punch until I could add a MBM-12 at a later date. At this time the midbass is coming from my mains 13' away.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:53 PM
Hsu Research

If you really must place the module and true subwoofer is "non-standard" positions, Sub, then I recommend emailing Dr. Hsu at our techsupport email address. It would be good to get his opinion here.
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
If you really must place the module and true subwoofer is "non-standard" positions, Sub, then I recommend emailing Dr. Hsu at our techsupport email address. It would be good to get his opinion here.
I'll do that when I'm ready to make a purchase; at this time I'm still looking. Thanks for the responses.
Old December 18th, 2006, 2:02 PM

gbondioli is on a distinguished road
How about this?

I could put a true sub in the corner (farfield) and place the MBM behind the couch. So far so good, right? But I plan on getting two rows of seating at a later date, and I definitely will not have room to the sides or in between the rows of seating. So at that time, I would have an MBM behind the 2nd row of seats ONLY.
Room is 13' wide and will be about 19' long when rear wall gets built (currently 35' long...)
1st row @ 11ft
2nd row @ 16ft

So, would people in the first row benefit from an MBM that is over 5ft behind them? Or would they be better off with the sub playing the full frequency range?
Old December 18th, 2006, 3:46 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
I would think that ther still would be benifits to having the mBM-12 even behind a row of seats. However there may be a slight loss in the impact. The front row may not feel the hit as hard as the back row, but it will still work as far a ssound quality is concerned.
Old December 18th, 2006, 4:07 PM

gbondioli is on a distinguished road
So, do you think the MBM still deliver a better tactile pounding (from 50-80hz) than, say, a VTF-3 HO that is 11ft away in a corner, if each was measured individually? Actually, let me add another question or two...

For people in the back row, what is better?
A. HO in back of room (either in corner, or centered behind seating)
B. HO in front corner + MBM behind seating
Which is better for low bass rumblings AND which is better for mid bass impact?

For people in front row, what is better?
A. HO in back of room (either in corner, or centered behind seating)
B. HO in front corner + MBM behind seating
Which is better for low bass rumblings AND which is better for mid bass impact?