HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 24th, 2013, 8:00 AM

jlm86 is on a distinguished road
movie audio dialog clarity....

I've noticed of late that the audio dialog in movies can be very variable.
I watched Cloud Atlas last night, and a few scenes I could not tell what they were saying, backed up a few times and all...

If i come across a movie like, this what is quickest fix for this, other than just boost the center channel?

I was listening to DTS HD mode by the way..

hsu hybrid 15
Onkyo 809
PS3

thanks
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM

EarRelevant is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you just have to turn the subtitles on!

Many movies nowadays have dialog buried within bombastic, over the top sound effects and music swells. Aside from that, some audio is poor due to the acoustics of the environment in which the scene was shot. Those scenes should be overdubbed, but are not always because this adds to the production cost or isn't discovered until the actors are no longer available, etc.. Then, there are actors that simply have poor diction and cannot speak clearly and with consistent volume levels. As an english speaker, I can't always understand the "english" spoken due to accents, hackneyed phrasing, lack of flow, mumbling, etc.

My recent center channel upgrade to an HB-1 from an old DefTech CLR1000 has significantly improved my ability to understand dialog in all situations.

I raise the center channel volume relative to the other speakers by 1-2 db, which helps with dialog clarity.
Old March 27th, 2013, 6:09 AM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
The 809 has Audyssey XT, which should be doing a good job calibrating your center speaker. The next thing to look at is placement, and whether it is aimed properly.

I initially had my center channel on a shelf in my flat panel stand, below the TV. If you have a similar setup, make sure the speaker is moved as far forward on the shelf as possible, right to the edge. This will alleviate boundary issues cause by the speaker being inside the rack. I was never happy with this solution, so I invested in a center channel speaker stand, which allowed me to get the speaker out of the rack. This change produced a measurable improvement in the quality of the center channel audio, especially the dialog.

Second, make sure the speaker is tilted such that it is aimed precisely at your head when you are seated in the main listening point.

Either of these changes would require you to re-run the Audyssey calibration. If you are still unhappy with the dialog, there is nothing wrong with raising the center channel trim slightly.