HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 24th, 2013, 1:38 PM

effdbee is on a distinguished road
Need more Ooomph!

Need more thump, not sure if it is just bass greed but I'm not satisfied. I've a dedicated HT in the basement, 13'X32'X8'. I'm running 1 ULS15, an MBM, and 10 HB1MK2s + 1 HC1MK2.

Considering another 10 or 20 ULS15s or maybe ported subs to move more air. Also considering Buttkickers. Any opinions? All driven by an Onkyo TXNR807 equalized with Audyssey. Main listening position is centered 11' from the front, ULS is in the front left corner. and the MBM is 12' from the front behind the front row seating, on a riser with the 2nd row seating, on the right wall.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old August 24th, 2013, 3:34 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by effdbee View Post
Considering another 10 or 20 ULS15s or maybe ported subs to move more air.
Yeah, 20 additional ULSs ought to do the trick! But seriously, I would add maybe one or two more ULS subs. I would also try to move the MBM 12 as close to your listening position as possible.
Old August 24th, 2013, 6:56 PM

ATL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Need more thump...
Define what you mean by 'thump'. Thump to me is the kick drum in a drum kit, which is mid to upper bass in the overall scheme of things. The ULS-15s are great for subsonics, but a smaller driver would provide more impact in what I would call the 'thump' region. So it depends where in the spectrum you're lacking.
Old August 25th, 2013, 6:16 PM

OZZ is on a distinguished road
I would have gone with the VTF-15H in that size room especially since the OP wants tactical feel.
Old August 29th, 2013, 6:43 AM

Could I add a VTF15 and be able to calibrate it with the ULS? Regarding my oomph and thump needs, I'm wanting both more bass drum and subsonic HT explosions. I think I'm getting pretty good performance out of my MBM, it sits close and seems to have plenty of headroom. Need more more sub 50hz. I have it all equalized pretty flat but would like to boost the low bass, when I do the ULS seems to strain, it's clapped a few times, to get what I want at studio reference levels- action movies and the organ music on the Hsu CD. I'm thinking simply, I just need to move more air.
Old August 30th, 2013, 9:18 AM

OZZ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Could I add a VTF15 and be able to calibrate it with the ULS? Regarding my oomph and thump needs, I'm wanting both more bass drum and subsonic HT explosions. I think I'm getting pretty good performance out of my MBM, it sits close and seems to have plenty of headroom. Need more more sub 50hz. I have it all equalized pretty flat but would like to boost the low bass, when I do the ULS seems to strain, it's clapped a few times, to get what I want at studio reference levels- action movies and the organ music on the Hsu CD. I'm thinking simply, I just need to move more air.
I always like using the same model in multiples that would be better answered by HSU.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Tom C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the ULS can keep up with the VTF-15H. It would be close, but if you play real loud you may still run into the same problem. Another ULS, IMO, would be the best way to go.
Old September 28th, 2013, 9:41 AM

One was not enough

got the second ULS15 a month or so ago and now I have more oomph. Conclusion, one ULS was entirely insufficient for the size and acoustics of my HT.
Old October 20th, 2013, 5:31 PM

jsbeesl is on a distinguished road
Good form.

Incidentally, I recently began experimenting with this business of decoupling my subs, and was amazed at the difference. The sub does not play any more clearly (obviously) but it resolves a timing issue of airborne waves reaching your ears faster/slower than those conducted through the floor. A decoupled sub seems quieter due to the removal of all the energy that was getting to you through the floor , but that is easily corrected with the volume knob. The benefit is that regular program material sounds the same, but with the gain turned up the amp really lets loose on the dynamic stuff, so now explosions and things of that nature really stand out. Warning: decoupling may not always be the best solution, I'm just saying I've had a positive result in my current listening space.