HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 25th, 2010, 1:13 PM

RossK is on a distinguished road
My new dual ULS-15s

arrived Monday!

They are a tad darker than my new Paradigm SEs, but they still blend really nicely together. I'd say I like the two contrasting rosenut colors versus if they were both identical in color.

I have them crossed at 60hz using my cheapo Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. Trim level is set at 50hz. The maximum variance between 16 and 200hz is 9db (adjusted for my RS digital SPL meter). Not too bad for not currently using a PEQ for bass! The primary dip is between 50 and 63hz. It's about 8db. It's not really noticeable, IMO. Since the subs won't be moved anywhere else, I do see a couple MBMs in my future! Or possibly a sub PEQ. I did find that by changing the phase from 0 to 180 degrees and setting the crossover to 80hz, that i could get a couple more db overall, but the overall frequency variance rose to 12db from 16 to 200hz, so I decided on the prior settings.

The sub I had prior to these was an SVS PC12-NSD. There's absolutely no comparison between the two. The ULS-15 dual drive is simply in a different league, as is to be expected at the given price point. Decay is excellent as well as bass extension across all frequencies (subjectively). I haven't watched too many movies yet, but 'Iron Man' was definitely fun! So was 'Blackhawk Down'!

Fit and finish is excellent as well!

These speakers are in a 12 x 14 family room that opens to a 14 x 14 dining room (~2500ft^3). For those of you wondering if the dual drive is powerful enough to fill this space, the answer is an emphatic yes! Actually, one is probably more than enough. Both of my subs have their gain set at around 10 o'clock (left gain matched to the right) and are running 3db hot in comparison to the mains. Running at -15db from reference on the receiver gets to the point of almost being uncomfortable. When an explosion goes off, it is truly a visceral experience. Did I mention that the decay was phenomenal on these things yet?

Anyways, I'm starting to babble. Final verdict? I'm very pleased!

Thanks for all your help Pete!

Ross
Old February 25th, 2010, 3:28 PM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Hey Ross,

Really glad you decided to get the Dual Drive. I knew you would be pleased with the purchase. You will have many years of enjoyment out of these.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old February 25th, 2010, 4:34 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Congratulations Ross, you now have one of the nicest subwoofer systems on the planet! I am so happy that you like the performance. Post some pics if you get a chance

Are the subs in the front left/right corners right now? Were you thinking of placing some MBM's next to each ULS's?

Thanks again for all the compliments

Sincerely,
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:11 PM

RossK is on a distinguished road
They are both up front to either side of an entertainment center. They are slightly toed-in (more or less for aesthetics) and have each of the mini Paradigm towers setting on top of them. The right speaker is around 9" from the side wall and the left is around 20". The left corner is occupied by a grandfather clock. Darn those dual-purpose rooms!

If I end up getting MBMs, they would go on the back wall, opposite the mains. I don't think that there would be any room up front. The subwoofers took up most of the remaining space. I would probably get two MBMs and they would be around 4' apart from the center of the back wall. This would place them relatively close to the two primary listening positions.

HomeTheaterGeek? I owe you a thank-you also as I read many posts from you from other forums.

Ross
Old February 26th, 2010, 2:45 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Very nice, that should give you a huge about of mid/upper bass punch at the listening positions.
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:19 AM

manu4panjab is on a distinguished road
i'm also going to buy two uls 15 but after 8 to 10 months