HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 19th, 2010, 7:57 AM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
New Review of a ULS-15 Dual Drive System

Nice write up of a Dual Drive system, with distortion graphs. HAve a look guys.

Written by Brian Bloom at AUDIOPHILE AUDITION

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old October 19th, 2010, 4:29 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing this. I have several issues with the review. First of all, the reviewer sets the crossover at 45 Hz. If the purpose is to review the sub's performance, he should have set the crossover to at least 80 Hz. Don't know what he was thinking here.

Second is his comment in the conclusion that it would be nice if the subs had in-built room correction capabilities. This is way off base. If this were the case, Hsu would have either added a proprietary RC technology, which would likely not be at a par with the best RC technologies available today (my opinion, of course). Or Hsu would have licensed something like Audyssey, which would price the ULS-15 out of many people's reach. After all, there is a state-of-the-art outboard bass correction system already available, the Audyssey sub equalizer (or its licensed equivalent, the SVS AS-EQ1). Why re-invent the wheel?

And finally, the reviewer's emphasis of how the sub looked was especially off-putting. I can understand a casual mention of the ULS-15's overall good looks, its fine custom finishes, and its unobtrusive size. But to mention looks four or five times as a key factor in the overall review--preposterous.

Just my thoughts....
Old October 19th, 2010, 4:44 PM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Very valid observations Jerry. I did say I nice review not a good review.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old October 19th, 2010, 5:23 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Yeah, he definitely takes a different approach to subwoofers than I do. Still. he has bothered to include some decent measurements, so I will not be too critical of his review. And he states up front that he is not a bass fanatic, so at least he explains where he is coming from, and gives his review context. Personally I am a bass fanatic, I cross them over extra high and run them extra hot. But I agree with Jerry that its a bit absurd to hold the ULS not having a on board EQ against it; that stuff is best done with REW or Audyssey or something else like that anyway, so to include that would be a major increase in cost on a most likely redundant feature. I don't agree with Jerry that looks aren't a big deal- looks are a major selling point for many people. In fact, I would guess that was one of the key design goals in the ULS. Dr. Hsu has to sell these things after all! It certainly was a big factor in my decision to purchase some ULS subs.
Old October 19th, 2010, 7:30 PM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I don't agree with Jerry that looks aren't a big deal- looks are a major selling point for many people. In fact, I would guess that was one of the key design goals in the ULS. Dr. Hsu has to sell these things after all! It certainly was a big factor in my decision to purchase some ULS subs.
I am a single guy, need I say more?