HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 9th, 2009, 8:16 PM

Yan is on a distinguished road
Question VTF2 MK3 wiht DBX DriveRack PA+

Hello everybody!
I've just bought VTF2 MK3 from HSU Research and expect the delivery at 12/14/09. at the same day a expect delivery of http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html set.
So I start everything from scratch.
My room is 25*15*8 with TV Samsung 40" in the middle of long wall. My CD player http://sharp-world.com/products/1-bi...fications.html stays nearby TV set.
I don't have any receiver yet and have no idea wich one to buy. I plan to spend 80% time for music and 20% for movies.
I have 3 Panasonic RAMSA amps and DBX DriveRack PA+
Now the question:
May I hook up all this pieces together and use DBX DriveRack PA+ like Xover and for pinkization(calibration using pink noise generator of DBX DriveRack PA+) of my room?
Thank everybody in advance!
And one more question: Which receiver 5.1 with possibility of bi-amping of front speakers should I buy for best sound quality? My budget for it is up to 800$

Last edited by Yan : December 10th, 2009 at 7:52 AM. Reason: Adding one more question.
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Hello everybody!
First of all great thanks to Dr. Hsu for great job. I recieved my new and my favorite toy just in time. And it really greate!!!!
There is my preliminary setup:
Name:  PC110529.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  69.4 KB

Panasonic RAMSA:
Name:  PC110530.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  43.1 KB

DBX and old Yamaha:
Name:  PC110531.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  70.6 KB

Measuring mic DBX:
Name:  PC110532.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  74.8 KB

CD and old cheap sounding fronts:
Name:  PC110533.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  PC110540.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  PC110534.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  27.8 KB

So far, so good. I provided auto leveling and auto EQ of this setup using DBX DriveRack PA+ and DBX measuring mic and my first impression - it could not be better way to invest the money I spent for the sub. It's a long way in front of me in fine tuning of the system but I'll do it step by step without rush and making notes after each step.

Now just one thing make LOL: your packaging department made not that smart decision puting power cord inside the sub. Four legs were packed in small plastic bag, which was packed inside second plastic bag. This bag were tired from one end with thread to high level post and has been located inside one of ports and then this port had been pluged whith black plug :
Name:  PC110538.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  56.0 KB
But from other side it was cut with smth sharp:
Name:  PC110537.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  47.4 KB

and that's why inside bag with legs and bag with power cord were bouncing freely all the way from your facility in CA to my home in NJ.

It could be problem for me to take everything out of the sub. I had to place sub back side up? and the tilt it so that bags aligned the centerline of the port and I'm lucky that hands of my wife are thin and long enough to fish out those two bags through one of ports. I'm ten times more lucky that ports are strait but not bended 90 degrees

Now I hope that those to bags have not damage the speaker from inside. One of them(with legs) had sharp corners and another (with power cord) was pretty heavy.
And overall, transporting stuff inside inside subs is too funny to be acceptable.
I think that my next sub from you would be sealed
And now I understand why my subs I use to use in my professional applications http://www.hollywooddj.com/fbtverve1...te=google_base have grills covering port

But anyways THANKS a LOT And I hope in our further cooperation. I will continue posting resulted of fine tuning. Your product sounds great.

BTW
my order of 2+1+2 speakers I mentioned in my previous post is backordered by 11 weeks so I start to think seriously about 'Enthusiast 1' without Sub cause I already have one and this one is great!

Last edited by Yan : December 12th, 2009 at 5:40 PM.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Thumbs up

Finally I've got fronts and center from Dr. Hsu!
I couldn't be happier
I will post pictures tomorrow.
Thank You, Dr. Hsu!!!

Speakers in place
Name:  PC290541.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  52.9 KB

Central
Name:  PC290542.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  56.6 KB
Name:  PC290543.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  PC290544.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  51.6 KB

XO settings
Name:  PC290545.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  PC290546.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  34.4 KB
What you consider to be a dust is a special acoustical treatment for absorbing standing waves, he-he
Name:  PC290547.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  60.4 KB

In one word IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!
And it's a long way in fine tuning of the system. Next step is buying of receiver Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K
Does anybody have ideas of better receiver for 80% music and 20% TV in 400-600$ budget.
Happy New Year to everybody! And best wishes to all of you!!!

Last edited by Yan : December 30th, 2009 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Adding picktures
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Good deal Yan, what a great setup you have there!
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM

So finally I made my decision and ordered Pioneer VSX-9040TXH for 549 shipped. According most reviews it mostly satisfied my expectations. So I'll get it around January 15 and than after setup procedures I will be able to compare sound quality with pro audio DBX drive rack PA+ and Pioneer's MCCAC
Old January 16th, 2010, 7:29 PM

Talking Finally I've got everything

The receiver arrived and now i have to calibrate this brilliant sound from HSU and Pioneer using horrible Pioneer's manual
http://forum.hsuresearch.com/attachm...d=126369812 7

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/attachm...d=126369854 2
Attached Images

Old November 18th, 2018, 4:56 PM

Unhappy Houston? we have a problem! :)

Hello, after almost ten years of brilliant service the Bash amplifier of the sub-woofer finally died.
Googling did not let me to find the same one for replacement for 'HSU research VTF-2 MK3 BASH' amplifier.
So have kindly ask for advice which amplifier may substitute it in my VTF-2 MK3 sub so that cutout and screws will fit?
Thank you all!
Old November 19th, 2018, 2:56 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that! You can purchase a VTF-2 Mk4 amp from us. Please call in for more info.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 4:10 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you!
I'll definitely go that way!