HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 12th, 2016, 11:59 AM

A_Shah is on a distinguished road
Smile Any one using Magnaplan MMG and VTF 15-Mk2 or any other Hsu subwoofer

Any one using Magnaplan MMG or 1.7i with Hsu subwoofers any feed back would be appreciated

Thanks.
A. Shah
Old August 12th, 2016, 4:17 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, I don't have those speakers at home. I know a few of our customers use our subs with their maggies and it worked out well for them. We design our subs to be musical and accurate so it should integrate well.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 7:17 PM

dmass is on a distinguished road
dual HSU TN1220 plus Magnepan 1.6 here

I have been happy with my setup. Keep the crossover point low (below 50hz) and you will be happy.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 4:04 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmass View Post
I have been happy with my setup. Keep the crossover point low (below 50hz) and you will be happy.
Hi dmass,

Thanks for your feedback! Out of curiosity, why did you end up using a low crossover setting? When you set it higher than 50 Hz, what did you experience? Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Hsu View Post
Hi dmass,

Thanks for your feedback! Out of curiosity, why did you end up using a low crossover setting? When you set it higher than 50 Hz, what did you experience? Thanks!

higher crossover points become more noticeable and don't integrate as well with the magnepan's unique planar sound quality character.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:36 AM

Calypte is on a distinguished road
Until very recently I was using Magneplanar MG-1b speakers with the original MGCC1 center. I have the Hsu VTF-3 Mk4 subwoofer. The subwoofer is in the right-front corner of the listening room. My current preamp-processor is an Emotiva UMC-200. It provides separate crossover points for the different channels. I had the crossover for the mains set at 80Hz and the center set at 160Hz. I had no complaints about the sound integration, and I perceived no directionality from the subwoofer. I also have a pair of 1.6s, but they are currently inoperable, because there's a break in one of the tweeters.
Old August 24th, 2016, 7:24 AM

In my case, my Magnepan 1.6 are in the front left/right. My dual TN1220's are on the right wall 1/3 back from the front wall and 2/3 back from the front wall.

Given the subs side wall locations, higher crossover points become noticeable and distracting.

So I would amend my previous reply by saying that cross over points are going to be room and position dependent. But lower cross over points will likely be less problematic.
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:01 AM

Calypte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In my case, my Magnepan 1.6 are in the front left/right. My dual TN1220's are on the right wall 1/3 back from the front wall and 2/3 back from the front wall.

Given the subs side wall locations, higher crossover points become noticeable and distracting.

So I would amend my previous reply by saying that cross over points are going to be room and position dependent. But lower cross over points will likely be less problematic.
The MGCC1 center requires a high crossover point. I was afraid that the low frequencies intended for the center would perceptibly jump to the subwoofer in the corner. But it was never a problem.
Old August 24th, 2016, 9:11 PM

A_Shah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thanks for the Answer I have set my XO at about 58HZ 60 HZ on my VTF 15-MK2 which is placed on the right side of the system I am using a Peachtree Nova 150 (also purchased recently )which has a home theater bypass connected to a Marantz SR 5005 AVR. I use the MMG in a two channel configuration and my Kef LS 50 as fronts in HT configuration I use Low pass with BJC cables/ (kimber 4VS for KEf LS50 & monster Z series for the MMG) the settings that seem to work for me are 60 HZ both port open Q.3 since the MMG panels are fast I was concerned the sub would not keep up with it so I would need to close the ports but the above configuration seems to integrate the sub for a pleasant listening I may go for the upgrade to the Maggie 1.7i( my room size is 16 x24 listening area which opens to dining room and kitchen so the total size of the room is 16 X 39 feet. But I wonder if that would be worth it to pay an extra $ 1400 for the 1.7i ?