HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Attn Canadian Residents!!!

Attention Canadian Residents,

I am proud to announce that we are shipping factory direct to Canada with our new product line!!!

Please see this thread for information on the new products:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2381

To order:

Send an email to sales@hsuresearch.com, including:

a. Full name
b. Shipping address
c. Phone number related to shipping address
d. Phone number so that you can be reached during business hours
e. Model number(s) of products you are interested in purchasing
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
_mulder

Smile

Thanks Peter. I already have a VTF3-mK2 but I was seeing all these great new products coming out these days and felt that us up here were being forgotten. That is great news.
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:04 PM

Subusr is on a distinguished road
That is good news.
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM

colinlewissmith is on a distinguished road
taxes

Anyone one had experience with taxes/duties when importing factory-direct for HSU?

regards Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subusr
That is good news.
Old December 19th, 2006, 5:13 PM

Subusr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinlewissmith
Anyone one had experience with taxes/duties when importing factory-direct for HSU?

regards Colin
I've had experience ordering other speakers from the US; UPS likes to add about $50 (brokerage fee) on top of the duties and shipping fees already paid.
Old December 20th, 2006, 6:57 PM

pbcsd is on a distinguished road
I sent an email to HSU and they replied that the landed cost from Fedex would be about $1,250US (which includes shipping, duties, PST, GST, brokerage fees) without Turbo and $1,400US or so with turbo.

Add Fx to that and you're looking at the $1400CDN w/out turbo and $1600 CND with turbo for the VTF3-HO.
Old December 20th, 2006, 9:22 PM

GrantK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcsd
I sent an email to HSU and they replied that the landed cost from Fedex would be about $1,250US (which includes shipping, duties, PST, GST, brokerage fees) without Turbo and $1,400US or so with turbo.

Add Fx to that and you're looking at the $1400CDN w/out turbo and $1600 CND with turbo for the VTF3-HO.
I was quoted the following (emailed form home):
-------
VTF-3 HO: shipping cost is $318US
VTF-3 MK3: shipping cost is $271US
-------

I sent a similar email from work, and this is the response I received:
-------
VTF-3 MK3 US$649
S&H US$255 (landed cost, which includes
duties, GST, PST and brokerage fees, delivered to your door by FEDEX)

TOTAL: US$904

VTF-3 MK3 with turbo US$749
S&H US$281(landed cost, which
includes duties, GST, PST and brokerage fees, delivered to your door by FEDEX)

TOTAL: US$1,030
-------

I'm not sure why I was quoted 2 different shipping costs for the VTF-3 MK3.

In the first email, I said my shipping address was in Toronto. In the second message, I gave my exact address (in Thornhill). I can't believe it costs less to ship to Thornhill than it does to Toronto (though maybe it does?).

Grant
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM

I'm in Richmond Hill and the quoted shipping costs including PST/GST/duties/brokerage were:

$318 (no turbo)
$424 (with turbo)

Now remember, the HO is also $200 more than the MK3 so there is another $30 or so in taxes alone.

Not sure why Thornhill would be different than TO, unless the depot for Fedex is much closer to where you are.

Regardless of the fact that it's pretty expensive to ship these to Canada, it's nice to see HSU giving us a "landed cost" versus some ID companies where you have no idea what the duties/brokerage fees will be until it shows up at your door!

Cheers.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM

Interesting comparison, the VTF3-MK3 w/out turbo is US$313 cheaper for us Torontonians. Hmmm ... newer driver and amp versus much better value and pretty similar performance ... hmmm ....
Old December 21st, 2006, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting comparison, the VTF3-MK3 w/out turbo is US$313 cheaper for us Torontonians. Hmmm ... newer driver and amp versus much better value and pretty similar performance ... hmmm ....
VTF3-MK3 sounds like a better deal
$300US = $345CAN (US dollar seems to be going up, or Canadian dollar is going down).

I could buy a few DVD's with that savings.

GrantK
Old December 24th, 2006, 9:41 AM

I hear ya on the extra $345 or so. Not overly concerned about it. Will be interesting to hear what Craig and others say about the performance of the VTF-3 MK3. I like the fact that the HO uses a newly designed driver and amp, I believe the VTF series driver/amp combo is about 4 years old now?

Plus for me the Turbo is pretty much out of the question due to WAF, and the HO I've heard gives more performance < 30hz which is what I'm anxious to improve upon.

If you do go with the VTFMK3 and I go with the HO, we live only a few minutes from each other, we'll have to compare for fun!
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Quote:
I like the fact that the HO uses a newly designed driver and amp, I believe the VTF series driver/amp combo is about 4 years old now?
There was a new amp introduced about 2 years ago, and the driver has gone through refinements.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Peter, how does the return policy work in Canada? I.e., is return freight covered?

Also, same question on "warranty" work, if required? Say for intsance, if a new driver or amp needed to be installed, what would the process be?

Tx
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Peter, how does the return policy work in Canada? I.e., is return freight covered?

Also, same question on "warranty" work, if required? Say for intsance, if a new driver or amp needed to be installed, what would the process be?

Tx
I too would be interested in the answer to these questions (more concerned about the warranty question). Could we send the driver, or amp to the distributor (it may be difficult to find a local dealer), or do we have to send the defective driver/amp back to HSU?
Old January 29th, 2007, 6:40 PM

wongmb is on a distinguished road
anyone upgrading in the GTA area

If any of you from the GTA area are thinking of upgrading and selling your existing HSU, please email me at m.w@rogers.com
Old January 30th, 2007, 6:56 AM

Denis is on a distinguished road
I got my STF-3 from a place in Quebec.. got it last week shipped to my work on the east coast.
Great service, shipping and price.
Old January 30th, 2007, 7:39 AM

wongmb is on a distinguished road
Denis:

Can you give me the info of the place you got it from ? You can email me at m.w@rogers.com. Thanks
Old April 13th, 2007, 9:48 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Very good news!
HSU sub rocks!
Old May 4th, 2007, 3:28 PM

Mutnat is on a distinguished road
I just ordered one of the last few VTF3-MK2's from electronicsforless.ca yesterday and am very much looking forward to receiving it!

I have heard though that the MK3's are no longer available through either of the Canadian sources (EFL and superteck) now? Is that true? If so, how come? It costs an arm and a leg to ship these heavy subs up from the US to an individual, and the brokerage fees and whatnot will be nuts.

I know there are a lot of us Canadians who shy away from buying things out of the US for these reasons, and prefer to seek out a Canadian source. If I hadn't been able to get an HSU through EFL or some other Canadian source, I probably never would have bought one. Just my $0.02!

None-the-less, I'm very much excited about my purchase and the impending retirement of my Infinity PS12.

Cheers,
Scott.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM

BrassMonkey is on a distinguished road
Peter,

Firstly, I want to thank you because I very much appreciate that Hsu is willing to ship to Canada. You even go so far as to provide us with the landed costs. The numbers can add up pretty quickly, but shipping and import fees are hardly the fault of your company. Given the circumstances, I think the landed costs are very reasonable.

Unfortunately, what is holding many of us back is our concern about after-sales service. Without an authorized Canadian dealer, I have to ask how you handle returns, exchanges, repairs, etc. Shipping a near 100 lb. insured package back and forth across the border can be cost prohibitive.

Thank you and I look forward to your response. I would love to get a Hsu VTF-3 HO with Turbocharger.
Old July 24th, 2007, 7:36 PM
Hsu Research

Hi BrassMonkey,

It's really not as bad a proposition as people may think. Most of the time, if something goes wrong, it will be either the amplifier or the driver. So there is usually no need to send the entire subwoofer back to California, but rather just the amp or driver.

Hope this helps ease some concerns.

Sincerely,
Old July 26th, 2007, 1:47 PM

photon is on a distinguished road
How long does it take to get a reply? I emailed that email address almost two weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Getting to the point that I need to order soon as my basement reno is moving along quickly now.
Old July 26th, 2007, 6:06 PM
Hsu Research

Hi photon,

Do you mind PM'ing me your email address? In the meantime, please try sending an email to techsupport@hsuresearch.com , and copy sales. It's possible that the email got filtered out somehow, but who knows, I'll look into it. My apologies!

Sincerely,
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM

photon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks View Post
Hi photon,

Do you mind PM'ing me your email address? In the meantime, please try sending an email to techsupport@hsuresearch.com , and copy sales. It's possible that the email got filtered out somehow, but who knows, I'll look into it. My apologies!

Sincerely,
Yeah, I was starting to think it was something like that

PM sent.
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:58 AM

andythomas is on a distinguished road
shipping small but heavy items

Check out UPS Supply Chain solutions. When it comes to international shipping of relatively small items that are heavy and subwoofers fall into this category, UPS Supply chain solutions offers very competitive rates, much less expensive than regular UPS. We use them regularly with our water treatment business
Old December 1st, 2009, 5:44 PM

JSF13 is on a distinguished road
Shipping quotes.

How long does it normally take to get a shipping quote from HSU?
Old March 18th, 2010, 3:01 PM

Tandrin is on a distinguished road
I got a quote within a day and additional replies as quick.

For a VTF2 mk3 I got a shipping quote of $200 from California to Anchorage, AK (Fed Ex hub). Since I just got 3 speakers from Chicago with Fed ex 2 day for $130 US, I find that paying 30% extra just for shipping a little too excessive and something that drives my ultimate buying decision.
Old March 18th, 2010, 9:26 PM
Hsu Research

I agree that the shipping cost is high to Alaska, but we simply quoted what was given to us by the shipping software. It is possible that the shipping on your speakers was heavily subsidized, and/or the dimensional weight on those is far smaller than a large subwoofer such as VTF-2 MK3.

FYI, one can always make arrangements to use a freight forwarder such as Ship to Alaska to ship more economically to AK.
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM

CrazyCalvin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
Attention Canadian Residents,

I am proud to announce that we are shipping factory direct to Canada with our new product line!!!
I'm a bit confused. Is only the VTF-3 MK3 available for shipping to canada or are other models available also, i.e. stf-1. And what kind of shipping costs should i expect for such heavy products?
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Calvin,

Please send an email to sales<at>hsuresearch<dot>com. All of our speakers and subwoofers are available to Canadian residents.

Sincerely,
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:12 PM

TheNit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCalvin View Post
I'm a bit confused. Is only the VTF-3 MK3 available for shipping to canada or are other models available also, i.e. stf-1. And what kind of shipping costs should i expect for such heavy products?
Calvin

I just took delivery of an STF-1 and I live in Southern Ontario. The STF-1 was on sale for $254 (USD) and it was shipped USPS/Canada Post. It took 10 days to arrive. The shipping was about $95 (USD) and Canada Customs added another $57 (Cdn)[6.5% duty + PST/GST].
Old November 24th, 2010, 7:13 AM

eye eye is on a distinguished road
I am anxiously waiting for a shipping quote for the VTF-2 MK3, VTF-3 MK3 to southern Ontario as well. I have the itch. Does HSU Research ship to a US post office box, as I am minutes away from Buffalo?
Old November 24th, 2010, 4:28 PM

Deromax is on a distinguished road
I have done just that, yesterday! You need to register the US shipping address on your credit card approved address list (a fraud protection measure). Then phone-in or fax your order, as the HSU online form won't accept foreign addresses.
Old November 24th, 2010, 5:07 PM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNit View Post
Calvin

I just took delivery of an STF-1 and I live in Southern Ontario. The STF-1 was on sale for $254 (USD) and it was shipped USPS/Canada Post. It took 10 days to arrive. The shipping was about $95 (USD) and Canada Customs added another $57 (Cdn)[6.5% duty + PST/GST].
Tomorrow will be a week of VTF-15H goodness. I'm surprised I haven't got the duty/tax bill from Fedex yet.
Old November 24th, 2010, 5:27 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
Tomorrow will be a week of VTF-15H goodness. I'm surprised I haven't got the duty/tax bill from Fedex yet.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh, the might hear you.

Old November 24th, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhh, the might hear you.
lol yah, no kidding. It's just that a number of people are waiting for me to get the grand total..

Jim
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:21 PM

Corfius is on a distinguished road
I ordered a VTF-15H on wednesday. I see some of you did the same in Ontario (I'm in Quebec). How long did it take to get there ?

Mine still hasn't shipped but I suppose it's going to ship later today or monday. Just hoping I can get it right before the Holidays
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:27 PM

TheNit is on a distinguished road
I live just outside Hamilton, Ontario and it took 10 (consecutive) days to be delivered, using USPS and Canada Post.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNit View Post
I live just outside Hamilton, Ontario and it took 10 (consecutive) days to be delivered, using USPS and Canada Post.
That's a long time, though I used Fedex and it was 5 or maybe 6 days (door to door) I'm in Bowmanville btw.

I still haven't been billed by Fedex for the taxes and it's been just over two weeks.

Last edited by Sputter : December 3rd, 2010 at 1:42 PM. Reason: extra info
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:54 PM

Enthused is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
That's a long time, though I used Fedex and it was 5 or maybe 6 days (door to door) I'm in Bowmanville btw.

I still haven't been billed by Fedex for the taxes and it's been just over two weeks.
I'm hoping for the same luck as you. My 15H should be here next week and not getting charged additional fees would be an early Christmas gift
Old January 14th, 2011, 3:22 PM

Babber is on a distinguished road
Hi,

1st time home theatre build.....currently looking for a sub and from reading reviews, comments, etc. am interested in HSU subs; in particular the 'VTF-15H'.

Though being totally brand new to all of this and before I shell out my hard earned money, how would one go about hearing this sub in action before purchasing if you live in western Canada?

Thanks.
Old January 14th, 2011, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babber View Post
Hi,

1st time home theatre build.....currently looking for a sub and from reading reviews, comments, etc. am interested in HSU subs; in particular the 'VTF-15H'.

Though being totally brand new to all of this and before I shell out my hard earned money, how would one go about hearing this sub in action before purchasing if you live in western Canada?

Thanks.
Short of knowing somebody nearby with one there isn't.
Old January 14th, 2011, 3:35 PM

Yeah, I kind of thought that.

Well, if anyone lives in Kelowna, BC that would be interested in showing off their sub, let me know.

Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2011, 6:10 PM

Enthused is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babber View Post
Yeah, I kind of thought that.

Well, if anyone lives in Kelowna, BC that would be interested in showing off their sub, let me know.

Thanks!
Come to Edmonton. That's only what...9 hours?
Old January 14th, 2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthused View Post
Come to Edmonton. That's only what...9 hours?
Ha...right on man. I actually used to live in Edmonton. Great town. Do you have the VTF15? You happy with it?
Old August 11th, 2011, 5:07 AM

mathieu733 is on a distinguished road
Do you know what are the shipping cost of the VTF-15, I live in Eastern Ontario and like to know what would be the cost of the VTF-15 before purchase.

Thank you
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi mathieu733,

Please send an email to sales<at>hsuresearch<dot>com, with your full shipping address and finish option for the VTF-15H and we'll work up a shipping quote for you.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM

mathieu733 is on a distinguished road
Thank you Ryan!