HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 13th, 2016, 2:36 AM

Mj30250@yahoo.c is on a distinguished road
Using a VTF-2 MK5 with a VTF-3 MK5 - Bad Idea?

I've already got the VTF-3, which is awesome, and obviously larger and more powerful. I've been toying with the idea of adding a second sub, but another VTF-3 would be a seriously tight fit and I can't justify the expense anyway. That leaves me looking at smaller subs or just staying solo. I saw that someone was selling a slightly used VTF-2.5 (they upgraded to something bigger) so it got me thinking...

I would put the smaller Hsu nearfield. My couch sits against the rear wall (the room is about 13' deep) and there is enough space just to the left of the couch for the VTF-2. The larger VTF-3 would stay in the front left corner.

So would this even be worth doing? Would I be crippling the VTF-3 by asking it to play nice with a smaller sub? Maybe it would offer an improvement, but would it be worth the expense? How would such a set up sound for seating further out from the MLP? Perhaps I should just shut up and enjoy what I have...The room is around 2000ft^3, btw.

Thanks.
Old December 13th, 2016, 4:18 PM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
The main thing that will come into play when it comes to matching two subs with different gain structures is that you may end up bottlenecking your sub system. You're only as strong as your weakest component so the VTF-2 Mk5 may hit it's limits quicker than the VTF-3 Mk5 HP. If you end up grain matching, you can try to set it so the VTF-2 Mk5 is 5-6 dB less than the VTF-3 Mk5 HP in the same position. That would get them somewhat close. So the running a VTF-2 Mk5 and the VTF-3 Mk5 HP does have a potential issue, however I wouldn't say that you couldn't get a good result with running the two together. If well placed, it may help improve your frequency response linearity, it just depends on how you are situated in your room and how your room is structured.