HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
What subwoofer



I have this Room i'm setting up.

It's 7 1/2 (9) ft high
13ft across
and extends over 30 ft back (one large basement room) although i'm obviously using less for the theater.

The 3 walls pictured and floor are all concrete.

My fronts are infinity beta 50 with dual 8" drivers, they fully cover the midbase range.
the center is c360.
the surround es250.

I've got $1000 set aside for a sub. suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 25th, 2012, 1:38 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post


I have this Room i'm setting up.

It's 7 1/2 (9) ft high
13ft across
and extends over 30 ft back (one large basement room) although i'm obviously using less for the theater.

The 3 walls pictured and floor are all concrete.

My fronts are infinity beta 50 with dual 8" drivers, they fully cover the midbase range.
the center is c360.
the surround es250.

I've got $1000 set aside for a sub. suggestions?
I would go for a VTF-15H. Place it in a front corner.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 25th, 2012, 1:46 PM
Sputter Sputter is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 323
Sputter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post


I have this Room i'm setting up.

It's 7 1/2 (9) ft high
13ft across
and extends over 30 ft back (one large basement room) although i'm obviously using less for the theater.

The 3 walls pictured and floor are all concrete.

My fronts are infinity beta 50 with dual 8" drivers, they fully cover the midbase range.
the center is c360.
the surround es250.

I've got $1000 set aside for a sub. suggestions?
I really like the look of your ceiling. Nicely recessed for the ceiling fan?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 25th, 2012, 6:30 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
I would go for a VTF-15H. Place it in a front corner.
Thanks,

you're out of stock on the black? how long is backorder?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
I really like the look of your ceiling. Nicely recessed for the ceiling fan?
It was done for the vent duct initially, and the deep cans. Luckily i bought the house styled like this, i did all the painting myself, and it's mighty convenient that the fan doesn't interfere with the picture at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 25th, 2012, 8:13 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
Thanks,

you're out of stock on the black? how long is backorder?




It was done for the vent duct initially, and the deep cans. Luckily i bought the house styled like this, i did all the painting myself, and it's mighty convenient that the fan doesn't interfere with the picture at all.
It should be back in stock by end of this week.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 26th, 2012, 4:31 PM
shaolin95 shaolin95 is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
shaolin95 is on a distinguished road
Looks like a very nice room and for sure VTF-15H gets my vote!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 26th, 2012, 5:34 PM
Ryan_Hsu Ryan_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Posts: 72
Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Just an update--The VTF-15H is in stock and ready to be shipped


If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
The Hsu Research Team
985 N. Shepard Street
Anaheim, CA 92806
USA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 27th, 2012, 4:45 AM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Looks like a very nice room and for sure VTF-15H gets my vote!
I just ordered one. I have a similar sized room as yours, however the front 3 walls are concrete, so it will be interesting to see how my placement results differ.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 27th, 2012, 5:13 AM
shaolin95 shaolin95 is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
shaolin95 is on a distinguished road
Indeed, I will be checking your results for sure.
Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 27th, 2012, 5:45 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
I just ordered one. I have a similar sized room as yours, however the front 3 walls are concrete, so it will be interesting to see how my placement results differ.
Congrats! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 27th, 2012, 8:02 AM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
Congrats! Enjoy!
I bought my 3rd set of infinity Beta 50's on craigslist (living room, theater room, father-in-law), and had some easy conversation with the seller. we talked about how he didn't want to get rid of them, but they didn't have the wife approval factor, so he had to compromise with some smaller speakers. during that conversation, he showed me his speakers and i was amazed at the size of the sub. he said he could get away with it because he used it as an endtable

so ever since that day 10 months ago, i've been waiting planning to get one.

I'm glad you have a good product and you don't dump tons of money into advertising so you'd have to jack up the prices 20%
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
I bought my 3rd set of infinity Beta 50's on craigslist (living room, theater room, father-in-law), and had some easy conversation with the seller. we talked about how he didn't want to get rid of them, but they didn't have the wife approval factor, so he had to compromise with some smaller speakers. during that conversation, he showed me his speakers and i was amazed at the size of the sub. he said he could get away with it because he used it as an endtable

so ever since that day 10 months ago, i've been waiting planning to get one.

I'm glad you have a good product and you don't dump tons of money into advertising so you'd have to jack up the prices 20%
We do our best to keep prices reasonable so normal people can enjoy! Glad you appreciate that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
We do our best to keep prices reasonable so normal people can enjoy! Glad you appreciate that.
yeah i just ordered an Enthusiast 2 package for my father in law last week, as he is moving and needs smaller speakers but good sound, and broke down and got the sub for my room this week. He's got a full cathedral ceiling in his living room, and we pre-ran the speaker wire in wall while they were building the house. I will be setting him up in the next two months, and will key in for some setup tips if the sound needs help tuning.

I will throw more referrals your way, as obvioulsy the product speaks for itself if it can pass thru word of mouth alone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 28th, 2012, 6:28 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
yeah i just ordered an Enthusiast 2 package for my father in law last week, as he is moving and needs smaller speakers but good sound, and broke down and got the sub for my room this week. He's got a full cathedral ceiling in his living room, and we pre-ran the speaker wire in wall while they were building the house. I will be setting him up in the next two months, and will key in for some setup tips if the sound needs help tuning.

I will throw more referrals your way, as obviously the product speaks for itself if it can pass thru word of mouth alone.
Thank you for your kind words! I will always be here when you need me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 2:58 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road


Sub arrived, almost there!
Gotta terminate the wires in my sub electrical panel i just ran to the av rack, get my screen painted on professionally tomorrow then probably days and days of tuning and tweaking...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 3:33 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post


Sub arrived, almost there!
Gotta terminate the wires in my sub electrical panel i just ran to the av rack, get my screen painted on professionally tomorrow then probably days and days of tuning and tweaking...
Cool! Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 7:04 PM
shaolin95 shaolin95 is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
shaolin95 is on a distinguished road
Looking very good bro!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 4th, 2012, 4:58 AM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
Well right now after messing with it most of the day, i have the following setup, Fronts angled in a bit and 36" off the back wall, sub with one port plug, Sub x-over off, and Q of .3, placed at a 45 degree angle to the corner.



watched harry potter with the kids last night, and when the lightning would strike in the movie, it felt like it hit the house. I'm gonna have to find another way to mount the projector, because the current mount vibrates too much (accent support beam) and i'll probably have to go up to a floor support beam and/or vibration dampening. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 4th, 2012, 5:53 AM
shaolin95 shaolin95 is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
shaolin95 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem mostly when I am testing freq 31.5 my projector feels like a T-Rex is walking up stairs.
Because it is my basement I added a support right next to the beam where the project is attached too but that is not a good looking solution though.
I hope someone can offer more advice on this as well for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 4th, 2012, 8:10 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
Well right now after messing with it most of the day, i have the following setup, Fronts angled in a bit and 36" off the back wall, sub with one port plug, Sub x-over off, and Q of .3, placed at a 45 degree angle to the corner.



watched harry potter with the kids last night, and when the lightning would strike in the movie, it felt like it hit the house. I'm gonna have to find another way to mount the projector, because the current mount vibrates too much (accent support beam) and i'll probably have to go up to a floor support beam and/or vibration dampening. any suggestions?
EQ1 or EQ2? Where is the projector currently attached to?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old April 4th, 2012, 1:44 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
EQ1, although i spent most time sorting out placement and ports.

The projector is mounted to a 2x4 support beam that runs across for the recessed ceiling. the floor support beam for the upstairs is about 1 1/2 ft above where it's mounted now. it wasn't horrible during the movie, but definitely noticeable during testing volumes and music.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old April 4th, 2012, 3:19 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
EQ1, although i spent most time sorting out placement and ports.

The projector is mounted to a 2x4 support beam that runs across for the recessed ceiling. the floor support beam for the upstairs is about 1 1/2 ft above where it's mounted now. it wasn't horrible during the movie, but definitely noticeable during testing volumes and music.
Remember to set to EQ 2 when trying out 2 ports open! EQ1 and 2 ports open is a no no.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 5th, 2012, 5:00 AM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
i tried eq2 and 2 ports open, and on 5, -9 on the receiver, it vibrated the room (ceiling mostly) way too much without significant increase in impact@ the seating. i'll stick with the 1 port open, 5, -5 on the receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old April 5th, 2012, 8:19 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
i tried eq2 and 2 ports open, and on 5, -9 on the receiver, it vibrated the room (ceiling mostly) way too much without significant increase in impact@ the seating. i'll stick with the 1 port open, 5, -5 on the receiver.
EQ1 or EQ2?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 10th, 2012, 5:14 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
EQ2, i redid a calibration and it set it at -11, eq2, and 2 ports open.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
EQ2, i redid a calibration and it set it at -11, eq2, and 2 ports open.

What I would do is to turn down the volume on the sub so the re-calibration would end up closer to 0 dB. At -11, the sub may have a harder time turning on. If the sub is at 9 o'clock now, try turning it down to 8 o'clock and re-calibrate.

1 port open, EQ2, Q=0.5 sounds good.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 11th, 2012, 6:09 PM
tota1pkg tota1pkg is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
tota1pkg is on a distinguished road
I'd really like to try allot more options, positions, and testing, but right now i started a new job, and have to help the inlaws move in their new home.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 11th, 2012, 6:59 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tota1pkg View Post
I'd really like to try allot more options, positions, and testing, but right now i started a new job, and have to help the inlaws move in their new home.
No hurry. Good luck with the new job and the move.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forum Rules The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Technical Support: The best way to get tech support for serious issues is to call or email us. Questions asked on the forum may not be answered by qualified professionals.

No "Flaming": Spiteful talk and flaming wars will lead to "time-outs" for parties involved.

Shootouts: Shootouts are comparisons between products. We need to know about shootouts before allowing them on the forum, so call us and talk to the director of Sales before posting. Otherwise, your shootout may be removed.

Add to Reputation: Once you are a registered member, you can click this icon to add to the tally of other members' Rep Points. You must vote for seven other people before you can vote for the same person twice.

Report Bad Posts: Once you register, click this icon to let Administrators know if they should review a post. Please be specific as to why action might be needed.

HSU RESEARCH IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COMMENTS MADE BY THIRD PARTY INDIVIDUALS ON THIS FORUM.

Thanks for reading the rules. Have a good time :)

In Association With