HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 25th, 2012, 8:52 PM

ormandj is on a distinguished road
Considering ultimate 7.2.1 package

Hi,

I'm considering the HSU Ultimate 7.2.1 package for my HT room. It's a dedicated media room. Room dimensions are 19'x14.5'. The screen would be mounted on the front wall (14'5" width). The ceiling slopes upwards from 8' at the exterior wall, to 10' in the middle towards the interior wall. There is a 6' raised platform towards the rear of the room (6" tall). I've pre-wired the room for 9.2, with the pre-wiring being about 5'6" above the floor except the center channel pre-wiring, which is towards the ceiling (center channel would be mounted above the screen). I realize this is above ear-level by a bit, but since I had multiple rows of seating planned, I thought this was the better compromise to ensure the front row of people didn't block the sound for the rear row. The 8th and 9th set of pre-wiring are located where I would place front-wide channels.

I need advise on:

1) Would this be a good system for me, with the above room dimensions described?

2) Can I mount these speakers on the wall somehow, and if so, how (if I need some type of mounts, please let me know what to look for)? Will it cause a problem? Reading the manual, it sounds like they should be mounted 2' away from any wall, which isn't going to work for me. How badly will mounting these speakers like this impact sound quality?

3) Wall-mounting the speakers, should they be angled downward towards the listening area, since they wouldn't be exactly at ear-height?

4) I have a Denon with MultiEQ XT (and I'm thinking about picking up a newer model with XT 32 + sub eq) - do I just daisy-chain (after adjusting gain to match SPL) all the subwoofers (2x ULS15 and 1x MBM) on the same subwoofer channel, and let auto-eq run?

Thank you for any and all advice. I'm open to all suggestions and input.
Old October 26th, 2012, 3:29 PM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Ormandj,

1) Are you set on the ULS-15 because of size constraints? Typically for HT applications I recommend the VTF-15H due to it's efficiency, and output. On the other hand the ULS-15 is a much smaller subwoofer, wireless option and extremely low distortion. A single ULS-15 won't have any problem pressurizing a 3000 cubic foot room, let alone 2, so it comes down to how much output you're looking for in your HT.

2) The HB-1 Mk2 do not have any screw holes on the enclosure, so it may limit your options in terms of the stands that you can use. You will need to use side clamping wall brackets if you wish to mount the speakers to the wall. The wall mounting shouldn't affect the sound so long as the ports have roughly 2-3" of clearance (inches not feet)

3) If you wall mount the speakers you can either angle the speakers downwards or flip the speaker 180 degrees (horn on the bottom instead of the top). If you plan on mounting the speakers much higher than ear level then angling the speakers down may be the best option, and give you some additional port clearance. Otherwise if there is only a small height discrepancy between the speakers and ear level then you can always flip the speakers 180 degrees. Also, be sure to severely angle in the speakers a few feet in front of your listening position to allow for the best sound stage.

4) I recommend that you first gain match your subwoofers (one sub at a time, in the same location), and then run your EQ with all of them hooked up.

If you get a chance please post your room layout.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
Old December 15th, 2012, 2:07 PM

ormandj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Hsu View Post
Hi Ormandj,

1) Are you set on the ULS-15 because of size constraints? Typically for HT applications I recommend the VTF-15H due to it's efficiency, and output. On the other hand the ULS-15 is a much smaller subwoofer, wireless option and extremely low distortion. A single ULS-15 won't have any problem pressurizing a 3000 cubic foot room, let alone 2, so it comes down to how much output you're looking for in your HT.

2) The HB-1 Mk2 do not have any screw holes on the enclosure, so it may limit your options in terms of the stands that you can use. You will need to use side clamping wall brackets if you wish to mount the speakers to the wall. The wall mounting shouldn't affect the sound so long as the ports have roughly 2-3" of clearance (inches not feet)

3) If you wall mount the speakers you can either angle the speakers downwards or flip the speaker 180 degrees (horn on the bottom instead of the top). If you plan on mounting the speakers much higher than ear level then angling the speakers down may be the best option, and give you some additional port clearance. Otherwise if there is only a small height discrepancy between the speakers and ear level then you can always flip the speakers 180 degrees. Also, be sure to severely angle in the speakers a few feet in front of your listening position to allow for the best sound stage.

4) I recommend that you first gain match your subwoofers (one sub at a time, in the same location), and then run your EQ with all of them hooked up.

If you get a chance please post your room layout.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
Apologies for the slow response.

1) Nope, not set on the ULS-15 due to size. The wireless is very nice, as I only did prewiring to two spots in my HT room for subwoofer, and wireless would let me move them around a bit more - but it's not a must. Honestly, the dual ULS-15 + midbass unit is part of your ultimate package, that's why I was looking at it. Are you suggesting I don't go with that package or somehow swap the subs in that package out with the other subwoofers?

2) Do you have clamps/mounts you suggest? I'd need them for all speakers except the subwoofers - including the center channel.

3) I'll definitely have to angle them downwards, there is more than just a few inches different from speaker level to ear level.

4) Great, thanks re: that suggestion.

I'll draw the layout in CAD at some point with accurate measurements, just haven't had time yet.