HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

diggytooth is on a distinguished road
Connection advice

I want a sub for listening to 2.0 as well as LFE.I have a 12' 15' room. I have a Marantz 6005 AVR. I use an outboard amp for the mains. I am looking at the VTF 2 or VTF 3. (My price range)
I hear that these subs are very musical. I guess the best way to connect this sub is through the LFE output on the AVR, set the speakers to small. Is that about right? Or should I use both the LFE and run speaker wire from the mains to the back of the sub.
Thank you in advance.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 2:02 PM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Diggytooth,

I would recommend connecting the subwoofer from the LFE output on your receiver to either the left or right LFE inputs on the subwoofer, but I would not recommend utilizing both
Old January 2nd, 2013, 4:25 PM

Thank you Ryan. I will set all my speakers to small and connect it to the LFE. It is my understanding that my Marantz 6005 will then send all frequncies below a given hz (80) say, to the subwoofer, even during 2.0 listening, unless I go mode direct. Sound about right?

Thank you.
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Kevin_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Diggytooth,

That's most likely correct. I'm not too familiar with that particular model, but I think you will have to manually go in and set your speakers to large and just turn off your subwoofer. I believe some receivers do have presets so that the speaker settings change but not sure your marantz receiver does that. If you are talking about going between inputs, say switching from blu ray (5/7.1) and CD (2.0) you may be able to set how they play back. Check the manual.

Last edited by Kevin_Hsu : January 5th, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 6th, 2013, 5:47 PM

??

Thanks Kevin.
I just bought a VTF-3 MK4. What I am looking for is the best way to hook up the sub for watching movies and stereo music.I play CD's through my AVR. It was my understanding that most not all modern AVR's, mine is a Marantz 6005, will send a signal to the Sub via a LFE even while listening to 2.0, if the mains are set to small. If I set them to large than nothing will be sent to the sub while listening to 2.0 I believe?
Thanks.
Old January 6th, 2013, 5:54 PM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggytooth View Post
Thanks Kevin.
I just bought a VTF-3 MK4. What I am looking for is the best way to hook up the sub for watching movies and stereo music.I play CD's through my AVR. It was my understanding that most not all modern AVR's, mine is a Marantz 6005, will send a signal to the Sub via a LFE even while listening to 2.0, if the mains are set to small. If I set them to large than nothing will be sent to the sub while listening to 2.0 I believe?
Thanks.
In two channel there is no lfe. Setting the mains to small should (in theory)send below the crossover to the sub out.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM

I heard your subs enhance music quite nicely, that is why I just purchased one. I have my CD player hooked up through my AVR. What is the best way to hook up the VTF-3 MK4 sub so it will inhance listening to music?
Thanks
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggytooth View Post
I heard your subs enhance music quite nicely, that is why I just purchased one. I have my CD player hooked up through my AVR. What is the best way to hook up the VTF-3 MK4 sub so it will inhance listening to music?
Thanks
Try the sub out.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM

O.K I think i figured it out. What I will need to do is have the mains set to small. If I want to listen to music and hear a signal from the AVR via the LFE, I will listen to it in stereo. This will send a signal to the sub. If I put it in one of the pure direct modes than I might not hear a signal from the sub.
Thanks all.
Old January 9th, 2013, 1:15 PM

Just got my VTF-3 MK4 last night. Still have to messaround with it. Oh my god!!!! Dr Hsu, you have out done yourself. Excellent supportas well. This is a very flexible powerful unit, probably too much for my space.Nice problem to have.

Thanks to everyone at Hsu and all who have chimed in.
Old January 9th, 2013, 9:47 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
That's what I thought at first, but then I went ahead and added a VTF-15H to my VTF3-MK4. I have no regrets!
Old January 10th, 2013, 8:35 AM

Boy you know my room is 11' x 15' with 2 door size openings. My sub is to the left of the couch in the corner 6' away from one of the openings. It really sounds nice. I think my next purchase will be a pre amp with HT bypass.
Man this stuff costs alot.

Thanks SME.
Old January 10th, 2013, 2:30 PM

newsn4mee is on a distinguished road
mines 12' 4" x 14' , and I thought similar, so I added a second VTF3 mk 3. Much better now. . One doesn't seem too large anymore.
Old January 10th, 2013, 4:37 PM

New question on trim level.

I have a quick question if anyone can help. In the instructions it says this:
Set the volume on the sub to 9 o'clock, crossover out, sub out level on the receiver to 0 dB.

By 0 db are they saying that after running Audyssey set up you should manually (in the AVR) adjust the trim for the sub to 0db? I know that after running the set up if you get a reading plus or minus 12 db you should adjust the volume and run it again, but I didn't know that you should then set it at 0db.
Thanks.

Old January 10th, 2013, 9:09 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
If you're using Audyssey, then you don't need to adjust the trim afterwards, unless you want more or less bass than reference. If the trim set by the calibration is far from 0 dB, then you'll want to adjust the gain on the sub and run the calibration again to get it closer to 0 dB.
Old January 11th, 2013, 8:02 AM

That's what I thought, just thought I would check.
Thanks again.