HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 21st, 2013, 1:16 PM

mheisig is on a distinguished road
First 5.1 Setup

I'm in the process of designing a home theater setup in a room that's 11'x13' with 8' ceilings. I'm pretty much sold on the Value 2 5.1 package but have a couple of questions since I'm a real novice at all of this.

This is a quick layout of the room:

Surround Speaker Placement
The couch is almost the same width as the room. I would like to mount the surrounds on wall mounts in the positions shown. Would this be considered much to close to the main listening position (center of couch)? They would be almost in line with the back of the couch (mounted at about 5-6' high on the wall) and might even overhang the couch a bit.

Subwoofer Placement
Based on other threads here I'm guessing that the STF-2 immediately behind the couch is okay?

Center Channel Placement
The center channel would be on the shelf of a built-in entertainment center, about 25" off the floor. Is that too low?

Thanks in advance. I'm itching to put this all together but would love to get any advice I can before pulling the trigger.
Old March 25th, 2013, 4:39 PM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Hi Mheisig,

Sorry for the late reply, was enjoying finals week.

Concerning the Left/Right Surrounds:
Placement looks fine, please note that the HB-1 Mk2 do not have screw holes, so you'll most likely need side clamping wall mounts. Also as the HB-1 Mk2 will be higher than ear level I would recommend flipping them 180 degrees (tweeter on bottom and driver on top)

Concerning placement of STF-2:
Placing the subwoofer behind the couch is fine, and it will offer more mid bass. I would recommend 2-3 inches clearance from the ports to any surface it fires into (same with the HB-1 MK2). Placing the STF-2 near the couch may add a mechanical feel, which may or not be more desirable.

Concerning the HC-1 MK2:
We recommend placing the tweeter at roughly ear level height. 25" is a little too low ( I think around 40" is typical), but you should be able to tilt the HC-1 Mk2 up to be in line at roughly ear level height.

Lastly, I would recommend a severe toe in on the front HB-1 Mk2, you basically just need to ensure that the speakers cross a few feet in front of your listening position. The output from the front speakers will sound like they're coming from your center channel.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
The Hsu Research Team
985 N. Shepard Street
Anaheim, CA 92806
USA
714-666-9260
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:31 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
I used these clamp style mounts and am very happy with the result:

http://www.pinpointmounts.com/am40

Of course, your mileage may vary.

I would suggest aiming your surrounds more to the front rather than directly at the main listening position. The idea is to reduce the amount of direct sound hitting your ears from the surrounds so they are more diffuse and less localizeable. A common suggestion is to point each surround at the opposite front speaker (i.e. left surround pointed at right speaker; right surround pointed at left speaker). For your setup, that may be too much. I suggest you experiment until you find the sound you like best.
Old March 26th, 2013, 5:06 AM

mheisig is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help, Ryan and SME!

Regarding the center channel:

The display (Panasonic ST60 60") and center channel will be placed on a custom built-in unit on the wall so I have a good amount of flexibility with the construction.

If the options were below the display (~25" off floor) or above the display (~70" off the floor), which would be preferable? Or would it not make much of a difference as long as it's angled up/down correctly?
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Ryan_Hsu is on a distinguished road
I would recommend placing the HC-1 MK2 at the 25" position, that height is fairly close to the HC-1 MK2 in our demo room.

Placement on the surrounds aren't nearly as important as the fronts; however if you use the HB-1 MK2s on wall mounts then you can easily re-adjust the angle to find an optimum position. My experience with the HB-1 Mk2s as surrounds is that they're best pointing towards the listening position. However please try SME's suggestion, I've never tried pointing the surrounds towards the mains so I'm interested to hear your (or others) opinion.
Old March 27th, 2013, 1:23 AM

SME is on a distinguished road
I think there are many prescriptions for surround placement, even among movie mixers. I'm not sure there is a wrong way to set up surrounds.

I actually started out pointing them right at the listeners also, but after experimenting by making adjustments and listening for a few weeks, I've discovered I prefer the sound with the surrounds pointing at the opposite fronts. I think I'm still hearing some direct sound from the tweeters, so I can still sense some direction and am able to hear a convincing rear phantom image despite the speakers being at 90 instead of 110-120 degrees. Where I really notice an improvement with them pointed away is that reflections and reverb in recordings sound more realistic and immersive. In real life, reverb usually arrives from many directions, so I imagine that it's hard for a pair of surround speakers to reproduce this property without the room to diffuse the sound. This may be less important for 7.1 systems that use rear surrounds.