HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM

jimbono is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jimbono
Thumbs up VT-12/ STF-2 blows Bose AM series?

Hi guys,

I'm in no way skeptic regarding the HSUResearch products. I have been hearing great reviews about the HSUResearch products from you guys and also from the guys at eCoustics forum.

But for the peace of my mind, I would like to know if my VT-12/STF-2 will blow away Bose AM Series because I initially thought of getting a Bose AM15 system.

Pls give your comments regarding this and pls make me happy about my decision to get the VT12/STF-2 combo which I believe WILL definitely surpass my expectations that I previosuly had in Bose...

I am yet to hear the HSU Experience, but still am kinda curious.

Thanks in advance,
jimbono
Old March 17th, 2005, 2:12 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
The short answer is yes.
Old March 17th, 2005, 2:25 PM

Smile

Thanks, Dudley...

I really appreciate it... You are my life saver

Thanks again,
jimbono
Old March 17th, 2005, 2:27 PM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
EDIT:....

Here is your Long Answer.

Most folks have some kinda gripe with bose...I am not sure if they think its overpriced or because of the sound quality. Or they just like to rag on the product because the cant afford it.

I had the Bose Lifesytle 12 Series II system for years and loved it....I thought it had Great Mid Bass but suffered on the lowered frequency. I did think it was pricey too but was satified with it for many years. A few things that finally made me get rid of the system was its inablity to upgrade, I did not have the DTS option and the Bose is great for a small to mid size room in my personal opinion but it does not do so great a in a bigger room. Another thing I hated about the Bose was that most of any male's voices when watching a movie was coming out of the Bass Module, that kinda bothered me for some reason. I am not talking like Deep Jaba the Hutt Voices but Regular Voices Like any actor (from Brad Pitt to Bruce Willis)....I could not stand that at times because it made me feel that some of the voices that should have been centralized on the screen were coming out of the bass module (all the way on the other side of the room)..I think Bose set the crossover too high to compensate for those small cube speakers. All in all, I was happy with the Bose but after 6 years got the upgrade bug....I now have a VTF-3MKII and different system (Sapphire Speakers and Pioneer 1014) and Love that system. If the STF-2 sub is anywhere near the VTF-3MKII and I am sure it is more like the VTF as apposed to the Bose module, I would recommend going with the the STF-2 VT package, its will be a bit cheaper and sound better and deeper when it comes to bass. I cant comment too much on the VT12 system as I have never heard one but I would think since they have more of a center channel (as a good center channel is very important), I think it "should" sound better.

I think you will be happy with the STF-2/VT-12, it will be much cheaper and "Should" sound as good as the Bose in the Higher Frequncey but at lower fequencies, I can tell you the STF-2 will out perform the Bose Bass Module.

I ended up selling my Bose to a friend I work with for 650.00, he loves it and I still thinks it sounds good but would never spend near 2 grand for a system like that again....

Hope that helps a little.
Claude
Old March 17th, 2005, 2:52 PM

Smile

Hi Claude,

Thanks a million for your rather lengthy reply. I find your comments
really useful . And I appreciate your time too... and of all the other folks
around here.

I have a medium-sized (20 x 17) living room, so I would take Dudley's
word the other day that the STF-2 will "blow away" in a room setup like mine
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ilies/wink.gif

Thanks again,
jimbono
Old March 17th, 2005, 2:55 PM

I'm sorry...

It was tdekany's words - "In that size room, the STF2 will blow you away. (proper placement is most important)..."
Old March 17th, 2005, 3:09 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Silver TA
I think you will be happy with the STF-2/VT-12, it will be much cheaper and "Should" sound as good as the Bose in the Higher Frequncey but at lower fequencies, I can tell you the STF-2 will out perform the Bose Bass Module.
My brother in law has the Bose LifeStyle system, I don't recall the model, you bet that HSU STF-2's performance is much better than Bose's subwoofer knowing the VTF-2 Mk2 similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Silver TA
I ended up selling my Bose to a friend I work with for 650.00, he loves it and I still thinks it sounds good but would never spend near 2 grand for a system like that again....
Claude
I understand what you mean. Bose speakers were great at times where there is little competition. The problem as you said is upgrade problem. We have tried to connect to an external mixer through the Bose DVD player. No can do, my brother ends up buying an extra DVD player. The high price is in the name and the size of the speakers that you will pay, for sound quality, you have more choices than before. And for good choice, you will only find this with HSU Vents and sub.

Somehow for car audio, Bose system is pretty good in sound!

tafguy
Old March 17th, 2005, 6:17 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
You will sinply not believe what the STF2/VT12 sounds. Just go and get a set.

Best spent $$$ in audio.
Old March 17th, 2005, 6:29 PM

Thumbs up

I'm gonna have to order it real soon... Can't wait to hear it perform...

Thanks, tdekany
Old March 21st, 2005, 6:53 PM

rws51 is on a distinguished road
Why Bose doesn't match up

Dudley was right. A bit more detail will help show why. Dudley mentioned that male voices came from the bass module. That is exactly why Bose's approach falls apart after serious listening.

The old standard cubes and especially the mini cubes are only capable of producing high-mid frequencies and above. They rely on the bass unit to produce the rest. This solution is problematic at best. You loose detail from producing midrange information on a driver/box that is designed primarily for bass. The next problem is what Dudley alluded too, imaging. Subwoofers (Bose Bass modules) are usually best reinforced by corner placement. Most often that results in the Bose system producing directional midrange frequencies outside the typical LCR configuration and screwing up the sonic image.

Bose did produce some great speakers 25 years ago. The 901's and 301's are great examples. Their applications of waveguide bass approach (just another form of transmission line design) was another great idea.

However, with todays better imaging technologies, Bose's "direct reflecting" methods, thier horribly muddy midbass modules, glitzy marketing and low value should stay with Paul Harvey and the hard of hearing crowd.
Old March 21st, 2005, 8:08 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
While I agree with what 95 Silver TA said, I can't take credit for it. My response was the short one.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 2:02 PM

Ian S is on a distinguished road
I would echo Claude's explication. I had a Bose Accoustimass 7 system that I recently replaced with the VT-12 coupled with my existing TN1225 tube sub. At the time I bought the Bose, there was little choice in satellite type systems and it sounded quite good music-wise. However, I found that movie dialog was hard to understand at times. I added the tube sub several years ago in an effort to hear the sub-40 Hz frequencies that the Bose bass module just can't provide. I am very pleased with the switch. As for the antipathy towards Bose products, well, some of it borders on psychopathic. If Bose can sell its products at a premium based simply on it brand "image" then, I say all the more power to them; their marketing folks deserve good bonuses!