HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 27th, 2016, 3:57 PM

jlm86 is on a distinguished road
Expanding to 7.1 surround.. Thoughts?

Have nice 5.1 hsu package with VTF 15 sub..

I've always wondered on the worth of adding the 2 rear surround
for full Bluray audio with movies...

I know the discuss gets fuzzy with respect to Discreet 7.1 on various movies

Thought I would ask the forum....

Thank you..
Old March 29th, 2016, 1:43 PM

New Yorker is on a distinguished road
I think the decision to upgrade to 7.1 depends on a) what kind of films do you mostly watch, and b) how much of a perfectionist you are.

I don't watch a lot of fantasy/sci-fi/action/adventure, which is where you'd most appreciate the difference. But even here, the difference is not great, IMO. Instead of an arrow coming from "somewhere" over your left shoulder, it's now coming from a specific spot over your left shoulder. That kind of thing. Not an earth-shattering, "night and day" difference. Since I tend to prefer quieter, dialog-based films, classics and musicals, the difference isn't worth the trouble and expense for me.

That said, if you're the kind of person who enjoys knowing you have the absolute best possible playback technology, maybe 7.1 is for you. (Of course, you'd then want to have Atmos, too.)

Richard
Old March 30th, 2016, 3:25 PM

Todd G. is on a distinguished road
+1 on what Richard said.

We have had good 5.1 systems for the past 15+ years and I have no complaints. Now, the living rooms we had (and now have) really didn't lend themselves to a 7.1 layout, so it hasn't been a big compromise. The sound is still better than you'd find in most living room systems and guests really enjoy the demonstrations they experience.

Our basement finish will begin late this summer and I have planned a 7.2.4 Atmos system for the media room. We'll see how it goes.
Old March 31st, 2016, 7:49 AM

JerryMeeker is on a distinguished road
Whether or not rear surround speakers add significant value or not is purely subjective. I have a 7.1 configuration but am rarely aware of a significant contribution from the rear surrounds.

Having said that, if you decide to go with rear surrounds, I highly recommend monopole (direct) speakers, and not bipole or dipole. Why? Because if you ever progress to immersive sound (e.g. Dolby Atmos), the recommendation is for all speakers to be monopoles.
Old April 11th, 2016, 5:56 PM

gus4hsu is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post
Have nice 5.1 hsu package with VTF 15 sub..

I've always wondered on the worth of adding the 2 rear surround
for full Bluray audio with movies...

I know the discuss gets fuzzy with respect to Discreet 7.1 on various movies

Thought I would ask the forum....

Thank you..
Hi everybody, I'm new here, got my new VTF15 MK2, HB1s for LR, HC1 for the center, I'm running a Dennon 4520 doing a 9.2 set up, using JBL for height channels (which by the way doesn't do much with some movies but can be sensed with others), using Def Tech X 4 for surround and surround back, they DO MAKE a difference, watching something like Jurassic World is really AWESOME!