HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 4th, 2005, 8:25 PM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
Noob VTF-3 Sub Placement (pic inside)

Guys got my VTF-3 Tonight!
First let me say, it was well packed in dual Boxes a some Thick soft spoungy stierform that you could probably drop this thing (while it its packaging) 3-4 feet from the ground and PROBABLY would not do any damage...Kuddos on the Packaging Job HSU!!

I hooked it up to find out I was not getting any Bass from it, Turns out on my Pioneer 1014 Receiver, when my Front Speakers are set to Large and the Sub is set to YES, it does not send a signal to the sub, even if I turn the volume on the VTF-3 all the way up, I get no Bass out of it. However, If I turn the Sub to PLUS and front to large the sub kicks on, it also kicks on when my front speakers are set to Small and my sub is set to YES.....Wierd but I wanted to see if any one else here had this problem with thier Pioneer 1014 or is this normal.

I wanted ask a few MORE IMPORTANT questions though.
I have a rough drawing of my Living room...I am going to try to attach it. This is my first post so be easy on me if I dont get the attachment to work http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Basically, I want to really feel the Bass without Annoying the neighbor as much. My neighbors are pretty cool with my home theater stuff but I never had a REAL sub before and dont want to upset them. Currently, I only have a left and right channel and the VTF3, I am saving up for the rest. You will notice my TV In Blue and my Left and right speakers in gray. I also have the wall labeled where my neighbor are on the opposite side. I have done rearranging with the Furniture and the TV for the past two weeks and this seems to be the ideal set up for me; for space ,for my gear and movie watching pleasure.....I like this set up and dont want to change the layout....HOWEVER

If you look at the Drawing you will notice 3 Biege Ovals, these represent my Reclyners and the one that states M is mine....I want to feel the full impact and have the following question.....I have picked out two spots for the VTF-3 sub (A and B in RED) to give good bass and to not annoy the neighbors as much. In your opinion/expertise, which spot would be ideal... spot "A" that is in a simi type coner in front but away from me or spot "B" right behind me that is not a corner and has more open space next to it like hallway, and Dining room. One thing I should point out, if I put the sub in location B the ports will not be facing the wall but facing in the direction of the Dining room because I dont have enough Reclying space between the Sub and the Reclyner with the sub long ways, but I do if its facing Sideways....

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Oh by the way, My sub will be hooked up as MAX EXT because I love DEEP/TIGHT/CLEAN BASS alot better than LOUD or more SPL BASS.
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2005, 9:02 PM

youngho is on a distinguished road
Claude,

Congratulations on your new subwoofer. I took a look at your setup diagram, and it seems to me that this is decidedly suboptimal. Your right speaker is much too close to the side wall, and your room is...difficult.

Could I suggest turning everything counterclockwise by 45 degrees and moving the TV to center on the diagonal wall with speakers flanking? I believe that this would vastly improve your sound by reducing side wall reflections. Also, I'm no expert on feng shui, but this arrangement seems better for qi, as your recliner and proposed subwoofer placement would seem to block access to your dining room from that hallway. If you're using wall-mountable speakers, you could then mount a surround speaker on the 7 ft wall shared with the kitchen and the other on the 12.5 ft wall.

This is only a suggestion.

Young-Ho
Old February 4th, 2005, 9:34 PM

Thank You for the Suggestions....The only reason, (And I should have mentioned this earlier) I dont want to move it in the 45 degree Counter Clockwise position....is that, The diagonal Wall actually houses a Big Fireplace and we like the View and I dont want to Block it....We only use it once but its still pretty to look at even when we dont use it. I do move my speaker away from there when ever we do decide to light the fireplace (which only has been once)....This is Florida, it does not get tooo cold down here (haha). So that is not really an option for me as I like the Fireplace..This is my Townhome by the way, we will probably by a house in a Year or two.

Also we Never use the dining room and its just me and the wife. But you can I did some measuring and If I move the Reclyiner 4-5 inches forward (towards the TV) I can still get to the dining room (between the Reclyner and sub) its a little squeeze but not a tight squeeze....You can also get to the dining room thru the Kitchen....So Putting the Sub behind the Reclyiner would not really hinder things in the dining room because we dont spend any time in there anyways...

My wife also loves the HT thing as she loves watching movies with me, she does not care one bit about the Dining room either...

And you are correct, I do notice the right speaker does have some slight reflection in it since it sits so close to the wall....
I will pull the right speaker away from the wall a little more, it can go another 1ft to 1.5 ft closer in...And would be in perfect distance from the TV and match the location of the Speaker on the other side.....I will probably get a Receiver Stand to Hold most of my gear towards that wall anyway.....The TV, speakers and everything else were only temporairly placed in there spot, I still had to do some more fine tweaking and moving stuff around but could not figure out if I wanted to move the TV more left, and add a Stand or Move the speaker more in and add the stand on the outside right...Either would have made room for the stand and would have a good equal distance from the TV but You are correct, moving the speaker away from the wall is the better option for sound quality.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Claude
Old February 4th, 2005, 9:42 PM

youngho is on a distinguished road
Ah, this was not apparent to me from the diagram. Okay, how about putting the television and speakers on the wall on the other side of the fireplace? This would also represent a significant improvement with respect to acoustics, as the side wall would be further from the right speaker. Furthermore, this would be a good arrangement if you wanted to upgrade to 7.1 before you move to a house.

Anyway, just another possibility.
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Believe it or not, this is how I had it hooked up for about 6 months and just recently moved it 2 the new set up you see now...I had 2 problems with the old location, it was not big enough for the TV, speakers, and stand....The other problem was finding a spot for the Sub, the room is smaller that way and does not allow me to put the sub behind me...Thats why I chose the new location.

Thx again man, it shows that you are thinking and truely trying to be helpful...Which is greatly appreciated.

Claude
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Silver TA
Guys got my VTF-3 Tonight!
First let me say, it was well packed in dual Boxes a some Thick soft spoungy stierform that you could probably drop this thing (while it its packaging) 3-4 feet from the ground and PROBABLY would not do any damage...Kuddos on the Packaging Job HSU!!

I hooked it up to find out I was not getting any Bass from it, Turns out on my Pioneer 1014 Receiver, when my Front Speakers are set to Large and the Sub is set to YES, it does not send a signal to the sub, even if I turn the volume on the VTF-3 all the way up, I get no Bass out of it. However, If I turn the Sub to PLUS and front to large the sub kicks on, it also kicks on when my front speakers are set to Small and my sub is set to YES.....Wierd but I wanted to see if any one else here had this problem with thier Pioneer 1014 or is this normal.

I wanted ask a few MORE IMPORTANT questions though.
I have a rough drawing of my Living room...I am going to try to attach it. This is my first post so be easy on me if I dont get the attachment to work http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Basically, I want to really feel the Bass without Annoying the neighbor as much. My neighbors are pretty cool with my home theater stuff but I never had a REAL sub before and dont want to upset them. Currently, I only have a left and right channel and the VTF3, I am saving up for the rest. You will notice my TV In Blue and my Left and right speakers in gray. I also have the wall labeled where my neighbor are on the opposite side. I have done rearranging with the Furniture and the TV for the past two weeks and this seems to be the ideal set up for me; for space ,for my gear and movie watching pleasure.....I like this set up and dont want to change the layout....HOWEVER

If you look at the Drawing you will notice 3 Biege Ovals, these represent my Reclyners and the one that states M is mine....I want to feel the full impact and have the following question.....I have picked out two spots for the VTF-3 sub (A and B in RED) to give good bass and to not annoy the neighbors as much. In your opinion/expertise, which spot would be ideal... spot "A" that is in a simi type coner in front but away from me or spot "B" right behind me that is not a corner and has more open space next to it like hallway, and Dining room. One thing I should point out, if I put the sub in location B the ports will not be facing the wall but facing in the direction of the Dining room because I dont have enough Reclying space between the Sub and the Reclyner with the sub long ways, but I do if its facing Sideways....

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Oh by the way, My sub will be hooked up as MAX EXT because I love DEEP/TIGHT/CLEAN BASS alot better than LOUD or more SPL BASS.
For your layout, position B is definitely much better for great tight upper bass impact. Placing it sideways is great. If you can inch the sub closer to the back of the recliner so the woofer section (the front end of the cabinet) is directly behind the recliner, that would be best.

The Pioneers always do that. I have earlier Pioneer models that behave the same way.
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:23 PM

Thank You so much Dr. HSU...

This will be the first thing I do tomorrow and will report back my findings. You have a great product by the way. I have only heard tight bass like this in a nicely sealed box. Tomorrow when I get to set everything up, turn up the volume and adjust the settings, I will report back my findings to you.

Thank you again,
Claude
Old February 5th, 2005, 5:25 AM

Nigel_Pl
Claude,

In regards to your Pioneer. When no sound is coming out from the sub, are you playing material with an LFE signal from a 5.1 source? Remember that unless you are redirecting bass to the sub while playing material other than Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS the sub should not make a sound.

Regards,
Nige
Old February 5th, 2005, 9:43 AM

OK cool.....Someone else just responded on the AVS forum stating this is normal too. I am just gonna set the fronts to small and Yes to sub and play with the cross over frequency. So far, I like the crossover set at 80hz. I am about to start moving things around today and will test everything and will report my findings later this afternoon or this evening....

Thx again to all for the Help, GREATLY Appreciated.
Claude
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Talking

I just finished moving everything around..To location B (Behind the Reclyners). Set the speakers to small and the sub to yes and turned up the sub to the 9:30ish position and also moved my front right speaker about 7 inches away from the wall, its solved the slight reflection I was getting. Also the Sub fits perfectly back there with it side ways and the woofer right behind my reclyner, theres even room to walk by and get into th dining room, its not a sqeeze like I thought it would be So all that worked out real well......

*OH*!!!!!!!!!!*MY*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*FRIGGEN*!!!!*GOS H*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was listening to some Bob Marley and I CAN NOT Belive how DAMN TIGHT this thing is when it come to music.....I have NEVER had a sub right out of the Box sound like this, not a seal box, not a bandpass box not a ported box. It was set to the 9 oclock position and I just went over and turned it upto 9:30 and it was even better but not over powering. I made it to the Every Little Thing song on Bob Marley CD and I Literally had Goose Bumps all over my arms. I am so IMPRESSED with this thing and I have not even began to mess with it yet and its still not even broken in yet. Later today, I will watch 1 maybee 2 movies on it and report back my finding....

I know what some of you may say, well, if you never had a sub before, you would appreciate just any sub....Not the case, my old System was a Bose Lifestyle 12 series II, though its not the best I still consider it decent, One of my Best friends has a Huge Bandpass box with a Seperate Reciever powering it in his home theater and I thought it sounded awesome but it does not sound like this....I have a few other friends with other HT setup, nothing sounds like this......My cousin has a Huge DJ system and a HUGE, I MEAN HUGE SUB box and it does not sound like this. To make matters worse or better, depending on your point of view, I have went to different Higher End Stores like Sound Advice and they have Some High End Polks, JBL, Infiniti, Paridim, Martin Logan, and other names I cant even prononuce costing more than this sub and I never heard one around grand sound this clean and tight. And I have sat in thier demo rooms for hours listening to thier high end systems.

I am Amazed so far & will report back my findings on some movies and will also report back after a week or two after it breaks in (though I can imagine it sounding like better than it does now)....Gotta go guys, I am going back out to the Living room and Enjoy life!

Thx again for all the help guys and Thank you Dr. HSU for making one hell of a product and responding to my post with your recommendation!

Claude
Old February 5th, 2005, 4:56 PM
Administrator

Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Silver TA
I just finished moving everything around..To location B (Behind the Reclyners). Set the speakers to small and the sub to yes and turned up the sub to the 9:30ish position and also moved my front right speaker about 7 inches away from the wall, its solved the slight reflection I was getting. Also the Sub fits perfectly back there with it side ways and the woofer right behind my reclyner, theres even room to walk by and get into th dining room, its not a sqeeze like I thought it would be So all that worked out real well......

*OH*!!!!!!!!!!*MY*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*FRIGGEN*!!!!*GOS H*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was listening to some Bob Marley and I CAN NOT Belive how DAMN TIGHT this thing is when it come to music.....I have NEVER had a sub right out of the Box sound like this, not a seal box, not a bandpass box not a ported box. It was set to the 9 oclock position and I just went over and turned it upto 9:30 and it was even better but not over powering. I made it to the Every Little Thing song on Bob Marley CD and I Literally had Goose Bumps all over my arms. I am so IMPRESSED with this thing and I have not even began to mess with it yet and its still not even broken in yet. Later today, I will watch 1 maybee 2 movies on it and report back my finding....

I know what some of you may say, well, if you never had a sub before, you would appreciate just any sub....Not the case, my old System was a Bose Lifestyle 12 series II, though its not the best I still consider it decent, One of my Best friends has a Huge Bandpass box with a Seperate Reciever powering it in his home theater and I thought it sounded awesome but it does not sound like this....I have a few other friends with other HT setup, nothing sounds like this......My cousin has a Huge DJ system and a HUGE, I MEAN HUGE SUB box and it does not sound like this. To make matters worse or better, depending on your point of view, I have went to different Higher End Stores like Sound Advice and they have Some High End Polks, JBL, Infiniti, Paridim, Martin Logan, and other names I cant even prononuce costing more than this sub and I never heard one around grand sound this clean and tight. And I have sat in thier demo rooms for hours listening to thier high end systems.

I am Amazed so far & will report back my findings on some movies and will also report back after a week or two after it breaks in (though I can imagine it sounding like better than it does now)....Gotta go guys, I am going back out to the Living room and Enjoy life!

Thx again for all the help guys and Thank you Dr. HSU for making one hell of a product and responding to my post with your recommendation!

Claude
You are most welcome!
Old February 5th, 2005, 7:04 PM

Well Guys, I said I was gonna report my finding after some more tweaking, music listening and movie watching....

This Thing is Down Right AWESOME!!

We listened to some Eric Clapton, Bob Marley and Eagles....I thought my Sapphire ST3 speakers sounded good before but were lacking a little bit in the Bass department. With the VTF-3 installed, the music was so much better, Bass was Nice/Deep/Clean/Powerful and Soothing. It was like listening to some of my favorite songs all over again for the very first time. The Sub is well worth the Money.

Later we popped in RAY (the movie) with Jamie Fox, I thought it was a damn good movie by the way. Anyways, the VTF-3 along with the rest of my system really made the sound track on this movie a blast to listen too. The VTF-3 was also very realistic and not Boomy at all...You would forget you are listening to a sub but FEEL the music...Its hard to explain, but I know you VTF-3 owners and some others know what I am talking about. I cant say enough about this product. Everyone should get one of these VTf-3 or save up for one.

We (me and the wife) also went out today to get my center channel. I got a matching center Sapphire Channel at a good deal. I came back home, installed it and adjusted the Pioneer 1014, by now it as passed 9pm so I was only gonna test the system for about 20 minutes (dont want to play to long and disturb any neighbors). Now I popped in Finding Nemo and the center channel made a nice difference to my entire system...The sound is so much more filling and natual sounding with great sound seperation. While I was at it, I decided to jump to the Scene to see what everyone has been talking about, the infamous "Darla Tank Scene". I only had Pioneer upto -15 and my VFT-3 about 9:30 positon.....HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD!!http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/eek.gif It Felt like someone was giving me a deep body massage http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif The Bass hit so freggin powerful that I was sitting thier with a huge grin....I had to rewind and do it again. I then came into the Bedroom and my wife was smiling at me, she told me that she knew I must have had a big grin on my face cuz she could feel the bass in the Bedroom and she liked it. The VTF-3 is still set to MAX Extension and will stay that way. I will probably put on some of movies tomorrow and see what I have been missing (Star Wars ATOTC, Test out all 3 Matrix and a few others).....To say I am Thrilled about the New Sub and how it performs, is a huge understatement.

Thx,
Claude
Old February 6th, 2005, 5:20 AM

jbhungvt is on a distinguished road
Good for you 95 Silver

Yes indeed the VTF-3 MKII is well worth the money. VTF3 is the reason why i won't go w/ other sub manufactures.

report back when you have tried other movies.
Old February 6th, 2005, 8:14 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up More to Come

Having talked to Dr Hsu if you like the VTF-3MK2 now wait for the following few months. You and all other VTF Mk2 and STF-3 owners will get confirmaton of some even better performance news. Its clear Dr Hsu is listening to his customers and is working hard behind the scenes on a some really positive 2005 releases.

You can't help but enjoy the sound of a Hsu subwoofer.

Ddavidson
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
and look at the way he does it! He sure is a genius

I can't wait for the final #s. How deep and how loud!

Please Dr Hsu, top all those $V$ sub specs to make them a proud **second best**
Old February 6th, 2005, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt
Yes indeed the VTF-3 MKII is well worth the money. VTF3 is the reason why i won't go w/ other sub manufactures.

report back when you have tried other movies.
Well Guys, it only gets better....

I watched Open Range today with the wife on DTS. Someone on one of these websites told me how great the Gun shots sounded/feels. I have seen this movie at least 2 times before but it was like watching it for the first time all over again. Just Incredible!!

The rest of my Afternoon was spent, Jumping thru some scenes on the original Matrix...so clean, so deep, just a wonderful experience.

I then jumped thru some scenes on Star Wars Episode 1, that sounded awesome too

I then popped in Star Wars ATOTC because again someone stated that I would be blown away by the opening scene....Well, I am here to say, If you buy this sub, you will never need to go to a chioroprator, it's so powerul, it can adjust your spine hahahah, just kidden but it was An AWESOME experience!!

We are now watching the superbowl (its half time) and I have it on HD with Dolby digital, it sounds unbelieveable.

GREAT JOB HSU, you now have a customer for Life!!!

Thx,
Claude
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I recently moved into our first house..........

The apartment we lived in prior (the one in the graph/pic above) had a lot of open spaces and a very high ceiling (about 9ft in some areas and 12 ft in most other areas). The room was about 13.5ft by 14.5ft. but had a lot of open spaces like I said including a hallway and a dining room area, plus the apartment was wood frame/contructions. Either way, I was very happy with my HSU VTF-3 MK2 at near field placement, it was tight, powerful and worked equally well with Music and Movies..I thought it was well worth the price and even more...

This house we bought has a lower ceiling...Mostly 8-9 ft and my living room is smaller but with and only one open spaces in the living room (away from the sub). The living room is about 12ft by 12 foot also the house is mostly contructed of concrete block construction and is built on a Concrete slap and carpeted. I placed it near filed again but also close to the back wall. I also calibrated it with the RS SPL meter. WELL, I thought there was no way in Hell I could be happier with this sub and now I proved myself wrong. It works even better, has a bigger impact and there's also a plus that outside of the house (because of the concrete contruction..I think..) it does not sound as loud outside so I dont bother the nieghbors. I had to share....I LOVE this sub EVEN MORE (which I thought was never possible)...It great to see this things full potenial with the right placement and a more ideal environment. Its like having a new toy all over again or discovering this sub for the first time over again.

Very Happy Movie Watcher!
Claude
Old March 17th, 2006, 8:27 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Congratulations on moving into your first house, Claude! It must be a great feeling to be able to crank your favorite music in your home!

Sincerely,
Old March 20th, 2006, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Congratulations on moving into your first house, Claude! It must be a great feeling to be able to crank your favorite music in your home!

Sincerely,
It certainly is....Me and the wife had a movie on pretty loud with the windows closed till 2am on Friday....It was great knowing I was not bothering the neighbors and could sit back and enjoy...